Religious fasting leads to girl's death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 08:11 AM
Religious fasting leads to girl's death
India parents investigated after Jain girl dies from 68-day fast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-37604951

Indian police are investigating the parents of a 13-year-old girl who died last week after undertaking a religious fast for 68 days.

The things deluded people will do.................No

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2016, 08:12 AM
RE: Religious fasting leads to girl's death
So sad. Religion is scary on every level.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-10-2016, 08:33 AM
That's really unfortunate. I can understand the desire to carry out religious rituals, but there has to be some common sense safety protocols in place. The religion should impose a cap on fasting and should require adherents to break the fast if they feel weak or dizzy.
13-10-2016, 08:38 AM
(13-10-2016 08:33 AM)Aliza Wrote:  That's really unfortunate. I can understand the desire to carry out religious rituals, but there has to be some common sense safety protocols in place. The religion should impose a cap on fasting and should require adherents to break the fast if they feel weak or dizzy.

Or they could just do away with religious rituals Wink Maybe find other ways to worship and express faith without doing anything that could potentially harm someone or cause some more zealot-type people to further express their (and their children's) faith by going far beyond religious guidelines.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
13-10-2016, 08:50 AM
(13-10-2016 08:38 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:33 AM)Aliza Wrote:  That's really unfortunate. I can understand the desire to carry out religious rituals, but there has to be some common sense safety protocols in place. The religion should impose a cap on fasting and should require adherents to break the fast if they feel weak or dizzy.

Or they could just do away with religious rituals Wink Maybe find other ways to worship and express faith without doing anything that could potentially harm someone or cause some more zealot-type people to further express their (and their children's) faith by going far beyond religious guidelines.

Or they could just do away with religion. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2016, 09:23 AM
(13-10-2016 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 08:38 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Or they could just do away with religious rituals Wink Maybe find other ways to worship and express faith without doing anything that could potentially harm someone or cause some more zealot-type people to further express their (and their children's) faith by going far beyond religious guidelines.

Or they could just do away with religion. Consider

Agreed--however, I'm all for people believing what they want to believe--as long as it doesn't harm anyone, try to take away other people's rights, use scare tactics and brainwashing techniques to get people to believe, and stand in the way of science.

13-10-2016, 09:35 AM
I've never understood what the point of fasting is.
13-10-2016, 09:37 AM
(13-10-2016 09:35 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I've never understood what the point of fasting is.

While the congregation does without, the leaders get fat. Simple. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-10-2016, 09:41 AM
(13-10-2016 09:37 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 09:35 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I've never understood what the point of fasting is.

While the congregation does without, the leaders get fat. Simple. Drinking Beverage

Ah, gotcha. I should have known.
13-10-2016, 09:43 AM

The nuns said that by suffering you show the Lord how much you love him, and he will be pleased with you.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man