Religious fasting leads to girl's death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Religious fasting leads to girl's death
(13-10-2016 09:35 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I've never understood what the point of fasting is.

My culture is big into fasting, and I’ll be honest with you, I never understood how it’s supposed to be an effective religious tool. The purpose of fasting in Judaism is mainly for repentance. We have fasts with and without water, and they're fixed dates that everyone observes (or consciously chooses not to observe.) I fasted just yesterday for Yom Kippur, and the idea of the fast was to repent for things that you and your community have done wrong over the last year, and to try to make a plan to improve for the coming year. But when I’m hungry, the only thing I’m thinking about is my next meal. My hunger pangs simply distract me from the purpose of the fast.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-10-2016, 09:59 AM
(13-10-2016 09:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 09:35 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I've never understood what the point of fasting is.

My culture is big into fasting, and I’ll be honest with you, I never understood how it’s supposed to be an effective religious tool. The purpose of fasting in Judaism is mainly for repentance. We have fasts with and without water, and they're fixed dates that everyone observes (or consciously chooses not to observe.) I fasted just yesterday for Yom Kippur, and the idea of the fast was to repent for things that you and your community have done wrong over the last year, and to try to make a plan to improve for the coming year. But when I’m hungry, the only thing I’m thinking about is my next meal. My hunger pangs simply distract me from the purpose of the fast.

Blessed Yom Kippur, btw
13-10-2016, 10:00 AM
(13-10-2016 09:43 AM)Dom Wrote:  

The nuns said that by suffering you show the Lord how much you love him, and he will be pleased with you.

Well, isn't that sweet.
13-10-2016, 10:02 AM
(13-10-2016 09:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

So you're supposed to be punishing yourself for being bad? That's weird.
13-10-2016, 10:08 AM
Fasting isn't just for the religious.... Do a bit of research and you will find that it does have health benefits - if done moderately..........

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-10-2016, 10:15 AM
(13-10-2016 10:02 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 09:50 AM)Aliza Wrote:  My culture is big into fasting, and I’ll be honest with you, I never understood how it’s supposed to be an effective religious tool. The purpose of fasting in Judaism is mainly for repentance. We have fasts with and without water, and they're fixed dates that everyone observes (or consciously chooses not to observe.) I fasted just yesterday for Yom Kippur, and the idea of the fast was to repent for things that you and your community have done wrong over the last year, and to try to make a plan to improve for the coming year. But when I’m hungry, the only thing I’m thinking about is my next meal. My hunger pangs simply distract me from the purpose of the fast.

So you're supposed to be punishing yourself for being bad? That's weird.

I don't think it's intended to serve as punishment... Jews aren't big on punishment the way Christians are. The fast itself doesn't absolve someone of wrong doing. I think the idea is that you're supposed to be completely absorbed in the act of repenting and doing something pleasurable, like eating, takes away from that. I just find that I get so absorbed in thinking about food that I think less about how my careless actions may impact others. Maybe that makes me selfish and immature, but it is what it is.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
13-10-2016, 10:17 AM
(13-10-2016 10:15 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(13-10-2016 10:02 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  So you're supposed to be punishing yourself for being bad? That's weird.

I don't think it's intended to serve as punishment... Jews aren't big on punishment the way Christians are. The fast itself doesn't absolve someone of wrong doing. I think the idea is that you're supposed to be completely absorbed in the act of repenting and doing something pleasurable, like eating, takes away from that. I just find that I get so absorbed in thinking about food that I think less about how my careless actions may impact others. Maybe that makes me selfish and immature, but it is what it is.

It makes you human.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post