Religious folks censoring on the internet

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Religious folks censoring on the internet
As a frequent Youtube user I've noticed that a lot of users arguing "for" religion/belief in deities often either disable comments, pend comments, or delete any that are in a refuting position to theirs.

Can someone not see the hypocrisy of using the right to free speech to express their own opinions and views while simultaneously not allowing others to do the same?

Some notorious religious Youtubers who do this:

*Venomfangx
*shockofgod
*Dawahfilms

(feel free to add any others you know who do this, I wouldn't mind keep a tab)

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mia's post
10-10-2011, 04:52 PM
RE: Religious folks censoring on the internet
Someone might try to inject some reality. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might point out where they're lying. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might show they're wrong. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might be thinking. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
Because their logic behind it is. If no one can comment, then no one can disprove them. So if no one is disproving them then what they say must be right.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
10-10-2011, 06:54 PM
I truly despise all of the aforementioned people and I'm sure what I'm about to say does not apply to them in any way but... The other reason people might disable comments is due to, especially when religion is concerned, the complete de evolving of conversation. Every youtube video about religion (especially the ones debunking it) all turn into the same bullshit and it would annoy me were I the one posting the videos. I personally would allow it because I think that any discussion is better than ignoring the elephant but some people might not have the patience to deal with the sometimes racist, bigoted, and down right ignorant hate spewing that is bound to come.

Now I said I was sure that this wasn't the case with any of the aforementioned people and I am sure I'm right about that, as they are all very "outspoken" on freedom of speech, though typically only when it is their rights being discussed. But they are also seemingly the first ones to pour out the misery so to speak. Reminding me of Garbage, the band and the lyrics "Pour your misery down on me, I'm only happy when it rains". They are often chucking out names, or accusations without any merit, so I doubt they would want to prevent any such debauchery.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
10-10-2011, 10:58 PM
(10-10-2011 04:52 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Someone might try to inject some reality. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might point out where they're lying. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might show they're wrong. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

Someone might be thinking. Therefore comments cannot be allowed.

(10-10-2011 05:15 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Because their logic behind it is. If no one can comment, then no one can disprove them. So if no one is disproving them then what they say must be right.

That's what I figured; its like if no one can see a contrasting criticism to their arguments than they simply don't exist

(10-10-2011 06:54 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I truly despise all of the aforementioned people and I'm sure what I'm about to say does not apply to them in any way but... The other reason people might disable comments is due to, especially when religion is concerned, the complete de evolving of conversation. Every youtube video about religion (especially the ones debunking it) all turn into the same bullshit and it would annoy me were I the one posting the videos. I personally would allow it because I think that any discussion is better than ignoring the elephant but some people might not have the patience to deal with the sometimes racist, bigoted, and down right ignorant hate spewing that is bound to come.

Now I said I was sure that this wasn't the case with any of the aforementioned people and I am sure I'm right about that, as they are all very "outspoken" on freedom of speech, though typically only when it is their rights being discussed. But they are also seemingly the first ones to pour out the misery so to speak. Reminding me of Garbage, the band and the lyrics "Pour your misery down on me, I'm only happy when it rains". They are often chucking out names, or accusations without any merit, so I doubt they would want to prevent any such debauchery.

I think this would be a valid excuse in the case of someone posting a rather amicable and harmless thing, like a Jesus fan tribute or something, and so their intention is not to cause conflict in the first place.

But that doesn't tend to be the case with the videos I've seen, where they're putting a controversial, and often derogatory, position out there for the public to see.
I'm of the opinion that if you're going to do that you should at least have the guts to hear constructive criticisms and allow room for consideration from different perspectives

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
[+] 1 user Likes Mia's post
28-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Some notorious religious Youtubers who do this:

*Venomfangx
*shockofgod
*Dawahfilms

(feel free to add any others you know who do this, I wouldn't mind keep a tab)
[/quote]

It is even more insidious than mere disabling of comments and ratings.
Shock, and others, abuse the "comment pending approval" tool to filter out any dissent.
Only happy thoughts allowed.
Should an Atheist post something he can twist, he will quickly allow that post through, reply with some "gotcha" bs and then block the sender.
This way, he can rip the reply and leave the poster defenseless.
Watch out for this strategy. It is truly insidious.
Another YouTube professional "delusionist" (I just made that up) is a person using the channel name 1godonly1. Free speech my arse.
Beware of this dishonest brain dead individual also.

31-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Ohhh , I've seen this one A LOT.
Hasn't happened to me since I don't waste my time on that many religious vids but usually the reasons pretty much say it all : "being disrispectful to Christianity" , "insulting the prophet Mohammed , peace be upon him" . It's like they expect people to treat their view with respect by default despite the arrogance and "thou shall burn non-believer" position they often take.
Respect is earned , its not a given default, especially on the net.

Oh , BTW , yes I am still alive.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like gaglamesh731's post
02-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I've noticed this but I think, much like the 'controversy' over creationism vs. evolution, the premise that them not allowing conflicting comments on their channel means that their position is valid exists exclusively in their minds. To me, and I would hope to most of us, all that says is somebody's afraid of what's going to be said if comments are allowed. As soon as you disallow the opposing view to be presented, you've forfeited your right to proper debate or discussion.