Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/35...ource=t.co

Came across this article my twitter feed from @Atheismnews

Very interesting and makes me want to stand up and cheer.... YEAH !!!!

What are your thoughts ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 10:41 PM
RE: Religious fundamentalism could soon be treated as mental illness
Interesting article. I think what she is suggesting there is a little dramatic, as is the title, this is merely the opinion of one neurologist which she is presenting to a little known festival. Hardly a sudden change in legal policy towards religious idealism like the articles title suggests. That being said, I must agree with the majority of what she said. Although I think her views on where policy will take us is dramatic, I do find her insight interesting.

It's been well established now that many religious devotees have a strong correlation between there brain function (specifically there temporal pathways) and there (sense of oneness with god/s). I suppose if you could establish a detailed picture of exactly how the brains modified temporal pathways will effect behaviour, and provide a case in which this can cause significant disruption, this this kind of legislation may one day be necessary. But we are way off. And personally I hope this never will be, education is the key.
[+] 1 user Likes wheresmybeans's post
10-08-2013, 02:01 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 02:14 AM by PoolBoyG.)
I'm very wary on how fundamentalism or extremism is being defined. The examples are ranging from spanking your children to carpet bombing a country.

How will it be decided what are "potentially harmful beliefs to society"? I could see arguments that firearms proliferators (pro guns) being potentially harmful beliefs. Or on the other spectrum, marijuana or same sex marriage being potentially harmful.

Although some of the examples of fundamentalism - us versus them, perceived legitimate self defence, does fit nicely with my recent thread denouncing things like "modern muslims are a unique evil".

"Terrorist" is becoming more vague but also expansive- anyone who is in direct opposition to the government, or disrupts a corporation's profits may be a "terrorist". Granted the terrorist scenario could have you killed, while the mental illness scenario would just have you institutionalized or disenfranchised.

My immediate reactions to the link are ones of deep scepticism. I'm interested what the other users have to say about this.
10-08-2013, 04:08 AM
meh

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
What kind of treatment should be given to people who have irrational beliefs that cause them to harm themselves or others ?

It's the "harm others" part that should be the guiding influence on who needs treatment.

If Joe believes that trolls are guarding his house while he's away on vacation, that's irrational, but not harmful.
However if Joe begins to hear that the trolls are going on a raid of the neighbors house and he joins in, then we have a problem.

Identifying harmful mental health issues is the key. Many of us would agree that fundamentalists push the extreme when it comes to bat shit crazy thinking.
Denying your child proper health care is harming your child, sometimes, tragically to the point of death.

If scientists can physically show that fundamentalists brains have a certain disorder that is treatable, then I'm all for it.
What I'm not for is someone having the ability and control over what I believe. That would be the larger harm to society. (in my opinion)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results