Religious inoculation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2012, 07:59 PM
RE: Religious inoculation
(30-06-2012 06:21 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(30-06-2012 12:40 PM)Chas Wrote:  Polytheism seems to engender a certain amount of acceptance and inclusion.
For example, the Romans adopted gods from other religion over the years.
When one's worldview accepts multiple causalities, as opposed to the sky tyrant
being in charge of everything, there results a less rigid worldview.
Are you sure this is really the case? Except for Buddhism, it would seem historically that all religions are by nature intolerant of other religions. The Romans may have adopted gods from other religions, but it would seem (as Erxomai pointed out about Catholicism) that it was an attempt to get others to worship their gods, not to foster peace between conflicting belief systems. Hindus are certainly polytheistic and their tolerance of other religions is questionable (India's state religion is Hindu, which suggests that at least some Hindus wish to impose their religion on others). But even without a counter-example, I just don't see how it logically follows that "multiple causalities" for our existence would result in a "less rigid worldview". Couldn't one believe in multiple "sky tyrants"?
In most polytheisms, each of the gods has limited purview, limited power, limited reach, is checked and even thwarted by other gods. There is no all-powerful being, no tyrant.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Interesting thinking, folks.

May I offer two cents:

1st cent: It goes rather against the 1st of the 10 commandments so it is intriguing to think that, as Kim points out about movie stars who are bowed down before (contravening the 2nd commandment (in the Philonic version) or the continuation of the 1st one (in the Augustinian version)) that might be "other gods before me".

Christianity already has a problem here with graven images i.e. all religious art depicting JC, so there is already a gap for your wedge. Islam, credit where it's due, is less hypocritical here (but points deducted for intolerance).

Highlighting modern-day gods (money, the american dream, favourite sports team, movie stars) might be a way to a) demonstrate the hypocrisy or b), and more to the point of the OP, promote god-ness-osity as a divide and conquer technique.
So, given that we often hear that, for example, the US is a Christian country because it is 83% Christian (according to Wikipedia or 85% according to ProCon.org (figures from 10 years ago) - incidentally, I recall Hitch’s counter-argument to this by suggesting it is easily disproved by simply going to any US town at times of church services and see how empty are the malls - this is the myth that needs to be dispelled.
I noted mention on ProCon.org of “approximately 313 religions and denominations in the United States” but was somewhat confused that it also mentioned “2,500 (approx.) denominations”.
No matter.

Here’s my point…
What if we started talking about e.g. the US as for example:
0.03% Scientologist
0.7% Muslim
0.00001% Spaghetti Monster
1.4% Mormon
2.3% Pentecostal
2.4% Protestant
21% Baptist

When engaged in debate we can start dropping numbers like “… only 25% Catholic…” with the emphasis on “only”.
What might be the result of reminding us that christianity is not a unified force?
At the least, it might be to raise the awareness amongst more ignorant flock members that there are significant differences between the sects / cults.
Or, when Batty O’Really claims that Anders Behring Breivik could not have been a Christian or at least not a Christian in his sense of the word, he could be asked which kind of Christian was he?; ask him to choose from the list.
Or it may start the various denominations competing for votes amongst themselves. Of course, this might trigger some holy wars… no… scratch that… I mean… unholy wars… nope, on third thoughts most of mankind’s wars have been wholly holy wars.
Or when we next hear the call for a National Day of Prayer, we should inquire as to how that prayer should be worded to as to fairly and proportionately cater for all religions. I welcome suggestions.
Meanwhile, may I humbly assert that US bills should contain the words “In God(s) we trust, or not”.

2nd cent: I had an idea for a website (partially complete at http://www.widk.net where WIDK stands for What I Don't Know and is a play on the Knowledge Management concept of Data, Information, Knowledge, Wisdom) where anyone can create a god to explain something they do not understand (from abiogenesis to why dogs growl at me) and then others can provide an explanation (serious or humourous) and through a like/dislike voting system, gods will live or die.... democratically elected gods of the gaps.

The project has stalled cos the guy who is creating it for me (cos I'm inept at this stuff) has been busy but humour is a great way to reach a mass audience so I think it would be fun and entertaining.

Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
01-07-2012, 07:13 AM
(30-06-2012 07:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  In most polytheisms, each of the gods has limited purview, limited power, limited reach, is checked and even thwarted by other gods. There is no all-powerful being, no tyrant.

I get that. But I still don't see why belief in a tyrant leads to intolerance, or why belief in gods with limitations leads to tolerance. Are you suggesting that people in every religion are striving to be like their gods?

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
02-07-2012, 06:28 AM
Fucking Chas... did you fall off of your tractor? Tongue

Donchu remember Julie excusing his adventurism in Egypt by saying Jupiter was displeased with the growth of the Isis cult in Rome? And I was just watching this thing on crop circles. Circlemakers dot com got a contract to pound one out for a commercial. They did it in the daytime, and a bunch of "believers" showed up and started hurling stuff. First insults, then clumps of dirt, and finally rocks. There ain't no almighty in that equation. Tongue

What it is, is a tradition of "justifiable exculsionism." Just like "racism," it is but another form of us vs them that has been allowed to fester. As long as people allow for "religious tolerance," the religious are gonna be intolerant. The solution is not polytheism...

Y'all need to accept the one true god Gwyneth Paltrow. Or I'll beat you with a stick. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
02-07-2012, 06:32 AM
(01-07-2012 07:13 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(30-06-2012 07:59 PM)Chas Wrote:  In most polytheisms, each of the gods has limited purview, limited power, limited reach, is checked and even thwarted by other gods. There is no all-powerful being, no tyrant.

I get that. But I still don't see why belief in a tyrant leads to intolerance, or why belief in gods with limitations leads to tolerance. Are you suggesting that people in every religion are striving to be like their gods?
No, it's probably more that people's gods reflect what in them.

02-07-2012, 06:34 AM
(02-07-2012 06:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking Chas... did you fall off of your tractor? Tongue

Donchu remember Julie excusing his adventurism in Egypt by saying Jupiter was displeased with the growth of the Isis cult in Rome? And I was just watching this thing on crop circles. Circlemakers dot com got a contract to pound one out for a commercial. They did it in the daytime, and a bunch of "believers" showed up and started hurling stuff. First insults, then clumps of dirt, and finally rocks. There ain't no almighty in that equation. Tongue

What it is, is a tradition of "justifiable exculsionism." Just like "racism," it is but another form of us vs them that has been allowed to fester. As long as people allow for "religious tolerance," the religious are gonna be intolerant. The solution is not polytheism...

Y'all need to accept the one true god Gwyneth Paltrow. Or I'll beat you with a stick. Big Grin
I used to worship the Mother of God, Blythe Danner.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
02-07-2012, 06:42 AM
(02-07-2012 06:34 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(02-07-2012 06:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fucking Chas... did you fall off of your tractor? Tongue

I used to worship the Mother of God, Blythe Danner.
Some good genes there, and no lie. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]