Religious "knowledge"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2016, 05:37 PM
Religious "knowledge"
Dear Theist,

How do you know what you claim to know ?

I imagine that you might say some of the following...
"I just know it."
"God revealed it to me."
"I can feel the truth of it in my heart."

Did god personally tell you he was all powerful ?
"It's in the bible and that's the word of god."
"I can feel his power stretch all over creation."

Ok, but how are you able to determine if god is telling you the truth ? An all powerful being would be the best liar ever conceived.
"God wouldn't lie. It's not in his nature."

But gods word, his bible contains a great many things that aren't true. And what do we call things that aren't true ?
"We call them lies, but over the ages people have made errors when they copied the holy book and there are translation errors, plus kings edited out lots of things they didn't like and added lies to it on several occasions. Gods word is truth. It's the people here on earth who are the liars."

It's sounds like you're saying that man has corrupted gods word and we can't trust what is in the bible.
"God tells me what parts I should know and are true."

...... Folks I could keep going on and on with this dialogue but from the theists, I just want to know...

"How do you know what you claim to know ?"

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-12-2016, 05:54 PM
RE: Religious "knowledge"
I once asked my mom something similar; why she determined that the bible (and her interpretation of it) was true. It all fell back to a circular loop about faith. She had faith because she knew it, she knew it because she had faith. Reminds me of that lady on The Atheist Experience who also said just about the same thing, "I know it, because I know it, becauseI know it."

I then told my mom that that was indistinguishable from gullibility and to defend that was to be willfully ignorant.

I got in trouble for that Sad

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 4 users Like Loom's post
02-12-2016, 07:43 PM
I sometimes get this dumb argument about "Well my brain is an imperfect human brain so if it tells me there is no God than it can't be right but it tells me there is a God and there's this old book that talks about it..well gee willikers! It just must be true!"

Actually didn't C.S Lewis write something like that? ....Gonna find it:

‎"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God."

If you had to pick from not knowing who "made" your brain and knowing who did, why not pick a wizard? Why a God and why the Christian God? He still can't explain that except for "Well there's this old book that talks about this God who made my brain to think and to think about this one God in particular...and talking lions...he really made my brain for that mostly."

Really if there is no God than thought still exists, you can't just "believe" in thought, you still have thoughts either way. It's just as simple to think nature created your brain to think and have thoughts as a product of evolution and as a way to survive and pass on your genes and all that good stuff. Just because it's an amazing brain doesn't mean a wizard did it...or a God... or the care bears, isn't nature great!? I sure like it better than God since it's real and all.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
02-12-2016, 07:55 PM
The bible states fairly clearly god lies:

The Biblical Lies of God and Jesus

You can also add to that list the refusal to tell Job why he sent the calamities upon him, he refuses to tell him about his bet with Satan and just boasts about how great he is.

God; proving his omni-assholeishness, changes the subject and intimidates Job to back down, but shows He's a coward and hides the truth from people, even when the truth has deadly consequences.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
03-12-2016, 09:06 PM
(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Dear Theist,

I think that theists have an entirely different definition of "knowing" than does the rest of us. To them, knowing is a degree of belief. "How much do you believe?" "I know". It has nothing to do with having conclusive evidence, as it does for the rest of us, and for believers in every other aspect of life.

Since to lack faith is characterized as sinful by the Christian dogma, in order to claim to be a believer, that belief has to be absolute--In other words, knowledge.

Of course, it's delusional to think that we can "know" much of anything with certainty.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
03-12-2016, 10:58 PM
(03-12-2016 09:06 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  

I think that theists have an entirely different definition of "knowing" than does the rest of us. To them, knowing is a degree of belief. "How much do you believe?" "I know". It has nothing to do with having conclusive evidence, as it does for the rest of us, and for believers in every other aspect of life.

Since to lack faith is characterized as sinful by the Christian dogma, in order to claim to be a believer, that belief has to be absolute--In other words, knowledge.

Of course, it's delusional to think that we can "know" much of anything with certainty.

Also quite delusional to cling to your beliefs and refuse to be skeptical of them, as they dictate you should not doubt. Then just throw in threats of eternal torture and you've got a nice, controlling thought-trap.

Y'know...I feel pretty bad for people still stuck in that mindset, afraid to question their faith, thinking themselves horrendous creatures deserving of hell, unable to let go due to fear Sad

I wish we could bottle skepticism and lend some out.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
04-12-2016, 12:30 AM
(03-12-2016 10:58 PM)Loom Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 09:06 PM)666wannabe Wrote:  I think that theists have an entirely different definition of "knowing" than does the rest of us. To them, knowing is a degree of belief. "How much do you believe?" "I know". It has nothing to do with having conclusive evidence, as it does for the rest of us, and for believers in every other aspect of life.

Also quite delusional to cling to your beliefs and refuse to be skeptical of them, as they dictate you should not doubt. Then just throw in threats of eternal torture and you've got a nice, controlling thought-trap.

Y'know...I feel pretty bad for people still stuck in that mindset, afraid to question their faith, thinking themselves horrendous creatures deserving of hell, unable to let go due to fear Sad

I wish we could bottle skepticism and lend some out.

Or teach critical thinking skills beginning in kinder-garden.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
[+] 2 users Like 666wannabe's post
04-12-2016, 05:40 AM
Regarding - "The Word of God" ---

Do you suppose that a supposedly "supreme being" would create an entire universe, in all it's splendor ----

And then outsource writing the user's manual to a bunch of semi-literate goat herders who weren't even aware they were living on a pretty insignificant planet -- but actually thought the universe revolved around them??????

Sure - that sounds likely.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-12-2016, 11:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-12-2016 11:23 PM by theBorg.)

"I just know it."
"God revealed it to me."

Ok, but how are you able to determine if god is telling you the truth ? An all powerful being would be the best liar ever conceived.

But gods word, his bible contains a great many things that aren't true. And what do we call things that aren't true ?
"We call them lies, but over the ages people have made errors when they copied the holy book and there are translation errors, plus kings edited out lots of things they didn't like and added lies to it on several occasions. Gods word is truth. It's the people here on earth who are the liars."

It's sounds like you're saying that man has corrupted gods word and we can't trust what is in the bible.

...... Folks I could keep going on and on with this dialogue but from the theists, I just want to know...

Dear fighter against the Love of God, your best shot must be not in the comments, but in the thread. The best shot is the strongest example of the Bible "mistake", do you have one? Then put it into the thread! You, false atheists, do live in the fantasy world of satan(ism). You are proud to be delusional, like this doll:

05-12-2016, 02:50 AM
(04-12-2016 11:19 PM)theBorg Wrote:  

"I just know it."
"God revealed it to me."

Dear fighter against the Love of God, your best shot must be not in the comments, but in the thread. The best shot is the strongest example of the Bible "mistake", do you have one? Then put it into the thread! You, false atheists, do live in the fantasy world of satan(ism). You are proud to be delusional, like this doll:

Your status has been upgraded.

From troll - to - whackadoodle troll.

Change your records to reflect this upgrade

Thank you.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 10 users Like onlinebiker's post