Religious knowledge quiz

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 01:09 PM
RE: Religious knowledge quiz
(10-04-2014 01:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 12:56 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I got them all!

I was actually surprised. But the breakdown of what people don't know was freaking scary.

10% of Jews didn't know Moses. How?

Cultural Jews, they follow some of the feasts and high holidays for their heritage and culture but don't participate in the religious aspects.

Basically, many are technically agnostic.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 01:13 PM
(10-04-2014 10:02 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I just made my fundie-ish coworker take this quiz. She scored 12/15 which I thought was very good for her.

To be fair she said she admitted that she only knew at least one of them because of me. She said for example the bread and wine used for communion becoming the actual body and blood of Christ, she only knew because I've told her about it in the past.

But one she got wrong which she is arguing she still got right, was "When does the Jewish Sabbath begin?"

She answered Saturday, but argues that she's right because the "Jewish" Saturday begins at sundown on Friday. So the Jewish Sabbath begins, on the "Jewish Saturday" which begins on our Friday sunset. ...your thoughts on this argument?

She's stupid. There's no Jewish Saturday. Shabbat begins just before sundown on Friday and continues for 25 hours.

10-04-2014, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 01:35 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(10-04-2014 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 10:02 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I just made my fundie-ish coworker take this quiz. She scored 12/15 which I thought was very good for her.

To be fair she said she admitted that she only knew at least one of them because of me. She said for example the bread and wine used for communion becoming the actual body and blood of Christ, she only knew because I've told her about it in the past.

But one she got wrong which she is arguing she still got right, was "When does the Jewish Sabbath begin?"

She answered Saturday, but argues that she's right because the "Jewish" Saturday begins at sundown on Friday. So the Jewish Sabbath begins, on the "Jewish Saturday" which begins on our Friday sunset. ...your thoughts on this argument?

She's stupid. There's no Jewish Saturday. Shabbat begins just before sundown on Friday and continues for 25 hours.

This is what she's referring to...

copied & pasted from here:
"Jewish Calendar Date

When G‑d created time, He first created night and then day. Therefore, a Jewish calendar date begins with the night beforehand. While a day in the secular calendar begins and ends at midnight, a Jewish day goes from nightfall to nightfall. Shabbat begins on Friday night, and a yahrtzeit lamp is kindled the evening before the yahrtzeit (anniversary of a person's passing), before nightfall. If the 10th of Iyar falls on a Wednesday, and a child is born Wednesday night after dark, the child's birthday is the 11th of Iyar."

I understand what she is saying, but the question was not asking what Jewish day, but simply what day. The context is the common Gregorian calender we all use, even the modern day Jews use (which is a point I made to her). If we allow randomly using alternative definitions of words, for which we all know they are not intended, then we would be no better than apologists. As such, I did not award her ¼ a point.

10-04-2014, 03:51 PM
(10-04-2014 01:29 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  As such, I did not award her ¼ a point.

In religion and philosophy debates when the challenger loses a challenge the challengee MUST deduct a full point. It's in the rules. Her score is now 11. Drinking Beverage

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
11-04-2014, 06:38 AM
I did not take this quize, but I have take some before and done well except on the hindu and buddest questions.
11-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Aw, no fair, I accidently skipped one. Sad

I got twelve, but I'm pretty sure I knew the one I missed, so I'm just going to say 13. Dodgy
11-04-2014, 11:35 AM
15/15

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
11-04-2014, 11:40 PM
(09-04-2014 03:52 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I'm on a roll with quizzes!

Atheists scored the highest of all groups, of course. We so edjemucated.

12/15 (shit Angry , maybe not)

To our non 'Merikan bretheren, two of the questions are regarding US law and religion, we don't expect "ferners" to know such things.

http://www.pewforum.org/quiz/u-s-religious-knowledge/

12/15
the ones with the names confused me. The last one and the one that had thomas aquantas as option,and the bible as literature confused me as well.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
11-04-2014, 11:54 PM
(10-04-2014 01:29 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 01:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  She's stupid. There's no Jewish Saturday. Shabbat begins just before sundown on Friday and continues for 25 hours.

This is what she's referring to...

copied & pasted from here:
"Jewish Calendar Date

When G‑d created time, He first created night and then day. Therefore, a Jewish calendar date begins with the night beforehand. While a day in the secular calendar begins and ends at midnight, a Jewish day goes from nightfall to nightfall. Shabbat begins on Friday night, and a yahrtzeit lamp is kindled the evening before the yahrtzeit (anniversary of a person's passing), before nightfall. If the 10th of Iyar falls on a Wednesday, and a child is born Wednesday night after dark, the child's birthday is the 11th of Iyar."

I understand what she is saying, but the question was not asking what Jewish day, but simply what day. The context is the common Gregorian calender we all use, even the modern day Jews use (which is a point I made to her). If we allow randomly using alternative definitions of words, for which we all know they are not intended, then we would be no better than apologists. As such, I did not award her ¼ a point.

I understand that Jews count days by night to night.

Shabbat begins about 20 minutes before "nightfall" or sunset. It ends 40 minutes after sunset or nightfall the next day.

So even to Jews it's Friday night, because the candles must be lit before sunset.

12-04-2014, 12:33 AM
20/15

Oh wait. That was the eye test. Maybe I do need glasses.