Religious "knowledge"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2016, 09:41 AM
RE: Religious "knowledge"
(06-12-2016 06:56 AM)theBorg Wrote:  You are living in a fantasy world. Let Jesus to awake you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_C...Scientists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ch...technology
Why does Jesus have to do all your talking for you? Don't you have any thoughts of your own?

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
06-12-2016, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2016 10:48 AM by theBorg.)
(06-12-2016 09:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 11:19 PM)theBorg Wrote:  The best shot is the strongest example of the Bible "mistake", do you have one? Then put it into the thread!
The whole Censored book, for starters. Drinking Beverage

I like the Holy Bible.
06-12-2016, 12:10 PM
(06-12-2016 10:44 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 09:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The whole Censored book, for starters. Drinking Beverage

I like the Holy Bible.
Either drunk or high, or both total wanker.Euthanasia would be the best option for you, I volunteer to press the plunger of the syringe that's assuming you have any veins left Big Grin
06-12-2016, 01:11 PM
I think maybe your post should have better been addressed to proselytizing theists who deny science and try to push legislation that mirrors their world view, but you’ve addressed this to theists in general, so I will give my response.

100% of Judaism (fundamentalists included) is a religion that concerns itself with people who are Jews, and doesn’t have much to say about people who are not Jews (and we do not proselytize). I’ve been taught not to concern myself with the beliefs non-Jews, and to only concern myself with the actions of non-Jews when they’re breaking the seven laws of Noah —which I’d be willing to bet you’re not breaking, assuming you’re living in a civilized society.

The point is I don’t care what you believe. I trust that you’ve come to your conclusions through some research and consideration, and even if you hadn’t, I still wouldn’t care what you believe. So when questions like this come in, I’m often baffled why atheists care so much about what I believe when the Jewish community has demonstrated a disinterest in converting them, and an ample willingness to stand behind social change measures like embracing equal marriage rights, abortion rights, and freedom of thought and practice (in a civilized society). Jews overwhelmingly (but not 100%) accept the scientific evidence of a very old universe that began with a big bang, and our support of those who wish to propagate science in our public schools is well documented.

(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Dear Theist,

How do you know what you claim to know ?

I imagine that you might say some of the following...
"I just know it."
"God revealed it to me."
"I can feel the truth of it in my heart."

No. I learned what Judaism teaches through teachers. We have many texts that detail what Judaism holds to be true.

(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Did god personally tell you he was all powerful ?
"It's in the bible and that's the word of god."
"I can feel his power stretch all over creation."

No. I have been taught by my religious leaders that if you believe that G-d is speaking to you directly, then you are mentally ill.

(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Ok, but how are you able to determine if god is telling you the truth ? An all powerful being would be the best liar ever conceived.
"God wouldn't lie. It's not in his nature."

For many Jews, the proof of Judaism is in the impact it has on our lives. The Torah is not a story of creation, a history book, or a mandate to worship G-d. First and foremost, it's a guidebook on how to live your life. We find that living a Jewish lifestyle –to whatever extent that may be- improves our lives. We’re told not to cheat people in business, not to embarrass people, not to cheat on our spouses or be rude to our parents, and we find that maintaining positive relationships with others improves our lives both individually and as a whole. If these things didn’t work for us, I don’t think any Jews would follow the Torah at all.

Granted, there are things that we can’t measure the outcomes. We can’t see the difference whether we do or do not mix linen and wool threads, but because the rest of the Torah does make sense to us, and does improve our lives, we assume there must be something to this, so we don’t mix those two particular threads. Also, not mixing these threads, not eating pork and shellfish, and not picking grain on Shabbos has never hurt us or anyone else, so it shouldn’t matter to outsiders that we don’t do this. (Which is my way of saying that if they don’t like it, then they can kindly go suck it.)

(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  But gods word, his bible contains a great many things that aren't true. And what do we call things that aren't true ?
"We call them lies, but over the ages people have made errors when they copied the holy book and there are translation errors, plus kings edited out lots of things they didn't like and added lies to it on several occasions. Gods word is truth. It's the people here on earth who are the liars."

To us, the things are true.

(02-12-2016 05:37 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  It's sounds like you're saying that man has corrupted gods word and we can't trust what is in the bible.
"God tells me what parts I should know and are true."

I don’t think man has corrupted the Torah, and if he has, then what difference does it make? The Torah works for us, we’re happy and we’re not hurting anyone else. Most importantly, we’re not pushing our beliefs on others.
06-12-2016, 01:25 PM
(06-12-2016 09:39 AM)Impulse Wrote:  The whole Censored book, for starters. Drinking Beverage

I like the Holy Bible.
Really? You quoted me, but changed what I wrote. That's a lie. Why don't you following the book you say you like? Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
06-12-2016, 01:31 PM
(06-12-2016 01:25 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:44 AM)theBorg Wrote:  I like the Holy Bible.
Really? You quoted me, but changed what I wrote. That's a lie. Why don't you following the book you say you like? Consider

Quote theBorg and change what he wrote. Wink

Like this!

theBorg Wrote:My favorite things to say are fuck, shit, ass, and bitch.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
06-12-2016, 01:37 PM
(06-12-2016 01:25 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 10:44 AM)theBorg Wrote:  I like the Holy Bible.

Of course he didn't change anything, Christian apologists have nothing to add they are morally and honestly bankrupt science provides an explanation for things on a daily basis christian apologetics cannot provide us with anything new that's why they continue to provide us with long debunked theories.
06-12-2016, 02:04 PM
(06-12-2016 01:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I think maybe your post should have better been addressed to proselytizing theists ....... So when questions like this come in, I’m often baffled why atheists care so much about what I believe when the Jewish community has demonstrated a disinterest in converting them..........

All what our friends need to hear, is what you are theist. Are you theist, Aliza?

Our sinners are great sufferers, because such major sin as the murdering of God in the youngsters, is unpleasant even for them. Like all sins are unhealthy for the soul.
So, they came with solution: not to change own behavior, but bring the world to the End: after destruction of theism, there will be no need of atheism, there will be total anarchy. So, if you are theist, then you have the faith in Superior Being, so you are the obstacle between them and the unleashing the man-made hell on Earth.
06-12-2016, 02:13 PM
(06-12-2016 02:04 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(06-12-2016 01:11 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I think maybe your post should have better been addressed to proselytizing theists ....... So when questions like this come in, I’m often baffled why atheists care so much about what I believe when the Jewish community has demonstrated a disinterest in converting them..........

All what our friends need to hear, is what you are theist. Are you theist, Aliza?

Our sinners are great sufferers, because such major sin as the murdering of God in the youngsters, is unpleasant even for them. Like all sins are unhealthy for the soul.
So, they came with solution: not to change own behavior, but bring the world to the End: after destruction of theism, there will be no need of atheism, there will be total anarchy. So, if you are theist, then you have the faith in Superior Being, so you are the obstacle between them and the unleashing the man-made hell on Earth.

From your post, I was only able to make out the question, "Are you a theist, Aliza?"

Yes. Yes, I am. But there is a world of difference between you and me, Borgy. -And it might be worth mentioning that I have no interest in closing the gap.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
06-12-2016, 02:22 PM

I like the Holy Bible.

I like tap dancing.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post