Religious moderates: a step in the right direction or cover for extremists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-10-2013, 05:49 PM
On one hand religious moderates are much more tolerant than religious extremists, and much safer too. Moderation might be a step in the right direction on the path to a reasonable world. But on the other hand religious moderates give cover for religious extremists. Moderates make religion appear much more palatable and less objectionable. What do you think?

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-10-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: Religious moderates: a step in the right direction or cover for extremists?
What's the goal?

Peace on earth?
Different cultures living in harmony and tolerating each other's differences?

Or...

Truth.
At whatever the cost?

Consider

13-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Moderates..I always have trouble with this word. What exactly does it mean? How would you define moderate and extremists? Extremists seem to be the ones who take their religion quite literally.
13-10-2013, 06:00 PM
I like moderates better because they would rather be a good person rather than a good adherent to their religion.
13-10-2013, 06:02 PM
I think we can all agree it is easier to live with mocktail muslims, cafeteria christians, buffet buddhists than it is to deal with the hardcore version of each. When it comes down to it I think we would be better served by encouraging the more liberal religious people than by being in your face all the time. Is what they believe silly? Yes. But for the most part they don't act like believers. They act like secular humanists for the most part. As long as they don't try to legislate their beliefs, and for the most part the moderates do not, then it is of no concern to me what they believe.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
13-10-2013, 06:03 PM
(13-10-2013 05:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Moderates..I always have trouble with this word. What exactly does it mean? How would you define moderate and extremists? Extremists seem to be the ones who take their religion quite literally.

Good question. I define moderate here as someone who no longer takes his/her religion literally, and an extremist as one whom does.

"Laissez nous faire!"

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for mine."
13-10-2013, 06:04 PM
(13-10-2013 05:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the goal?

Peace on earth?

Or...

Truth.
At whatever the cost?

Consider

The goal as a see it is to live in a peaceful world where people are not dicks to one another.

"Laissez nous faire!"

13-10-2013, 06:15 PM
(13-10-2013 06:03 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 05:58 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Moderates..I always have trouble with this word. What exactly does it mean? How would you define moderate and extremists? Extremists seem to be the ones who take their religion quite literally.

Good question. I define moderate here as someone who no longer takes his/her religion literally, and an extremist as one whom does.
We are on the same page. But god isn't an metaphor to the moderate, is it? I'm concerned that moderates can very well lead to extremists. I'm sure moderates go to church for more secular reasons such as community and friendship and are fed this watered down christianity by the priest. To actually read about the atrocities at first could be very off putting. Now what if they were led to that for say a few years. Would they view it as batshit crazy or would they accept it? This is what worries me.
13-10-2013, 06:42 PM
(13-10-2013 06:15 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 06:03 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  Good question. I define moderate here as someone who no longer takes his/her religion literally, and an extremist as one whom does.
We are on the same page. But god isn't an metaphor to the moderate, is it? I'm concerned that moderates can very well lead to extremists. I'm sure moderates go to church for more secular reasons such as community and friendship and are fed this watered down christianity by the priest. To actually read about the atrocities at first could be very off putting. Now what if they were led to that for say a few years. Would they view it as batshit crazy or would they accept it? This is what worries me.

Good point, religious moderates make it easier for extremists to live in society. The moderates give them cover and make them seem more reasonable. Sam Harris had this to say:

http://youtu.be/_4syU7MC-1w

Interesting.

"Laissez nous faire!"

13-10-2013, 06:54 PM
(13-10-2013 06:04 PM)Crimson Flyboy Wrote:  
(13-10-2013 05:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  What's the goal?

Peace on earth?

Or...

Truth.
At whatever the cost?

Consider

The goal as a see it is to live in a peaceful world where people are not dicks to one another.

Then you have answered your own question.

Every person wrt any view / opinion / stance... religion, fenimism, racial stuff, whatever... can be placed (or place themselves) on a bell curve.

The vast majority will be around the middle i.e. moderate.

There are the extremes and always will be.

Take away the extremes and guess what... you still have extremes but actually more people will be adherents to the new extremes.

This is a lesson I learned from a fellow TTA member (Ghost).

Removing extremes eventually leads to 100% moderate views... peace on earth, harmony and then, interestingly enough, stagnation.

Imagine what life would be like without those pesky extremists who started claiming the world wasn't flat!

The search for truth needs extremists to activate the moderates.

Cool, huh?

Smile

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post