Religious oddities in Belgium

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Religious oddities in Belgium
As I mentioned before, Belgium is the country of "heidekneutermentaliteit". With all this "littlemindness" ("Narrowmindness" is too much of a negative therm) It is not surprising that the Belgian version of Roman-catholicism produced some oddities in the landscape and folklore. In this tread I will list some from time to time if I come across them.

Field and tree chapels.
Field-chapels have been around for hundreds of years. They where often placed on intersections to give directions to travelers. Most field chapels are dedicated to the holy virgin Mary and contain a little idol.
[Image: 19489?size=medium]
Tree-chapels are small wooden structures you find hanging on a tree in the middle of the woods. It is said that these where placed on pagan sacred trees or often replaced the tree after it was cut down by the local clergy to weed out pagan believes. Again mostly dedicated to Mary with the cherry The virgin Mary.
[Image: media_xl_929408.jpg]
(look closely)
In the month of may some people still bother to decorate these things with paper flowers. Although often pretty, I also feel it's a testimony to religious naivety.
[Image: 0068.Boomkapel-Rode%20Rokstraat-Kuringen_AAM_1798.JPG]
"heidekneutermentalitet" at it's naivest.
I don't think there is 1 KM² in Flanders that does not contain one of these although some are in decay.

De twistkapelletjes. (The chapels of disagreement)
Google maps.
On the border of the community Kemzeke and Sint-Paulus, there was a field chapel who was build by the community of Kemzeke but due to an administrative error, fell under the supervision of the pastor of Sint-Paulus. The sacrifices (read: charity box) where collected by that particular pastor en benefited his parish. Much to the dismay of the parish of Kemzeke! After years of dispute, an other chapel was build, both chapels facing each other like they will go head to head.
[Image: 20b7fdd6-9985-48d3-a617-f7071b72772d.jpg]
Heidekneuters!

If you people are interested in these things I'll post more later.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2011, 03:35 PM
RE: Religious oddities in Belgium
Did I get this right? The catholics were sacrificing Pagan trees?!!!!! Undecided

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
01-07-2011, 03:43 PM
(01-07-2011 03:35 PM)blasphemy fan Wrote:  Did I get this right? The catholics were sacrificing Pagan trees?!!!!! Undecided
They did! Harsh eh?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Convent of "Our lady of the seven contractions"
I am seriously NOT making this up.

A few days ago I was walking around on an Victorian era cemetery of a rather large village. (It relaxes me. donask.) While walking amongst pompous graves and crypts my attention was drawn to a row of similar crosses in the back. I thought it where WW I graves but it turned out it was a complete convent buried there. The large headstone read. "Here rest the reverend sisters of Our lady of the seven contractions". I chuckled at the name a bit. Then I looked at the personal headstones. The oldest from 1866 the newest from 1915. Maria Babtista, Maria Evangelica, Maria Celstine, Maria Cecilia, Maria...

I paused...
ALL sisters where called Maria (Mary).
At that moment I could not help to chuckle out loud picturing some mob of gangsters all calling themselves Joe or something similar though sounding.
Then I pictured a rascal atheist postie, coming by the convent stating he has a letter from one J. Christ to a miss Maria to be delivered in person.

I don't suppose it's polite to lol on a cemetery... Blush

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Thousands of Years of Religious Slaughter in one Cartoon Smooshmonster 4 278 22-07-2014 10:14 PM
Last Post: Can_of_Beans
  Does religious belief inform politics? Adrianime 7 70 22-07-2014 05:54 PM
Last Post: Reltzik
  Any statistics on religious vs non-religious educational and financial difference chulheekim 4 67 03-06-2014 11:54 PM
Last Post: Snowflake
  TTA confessional for the formerly religious beeglez 2 55 16-05-2014 10:58 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  [split] List of religious forums Charis 13 194 08-05-2014 09:54 PM
Last Post: Charis
  Religious folks say the darnedest things... Escape Artist 9 377 16-09-2013 10:21 AM
Last Post: Escape Artist
Bug Things that religious people do that bug me!! Scully 36 1,344 26-05-2013 11:07 AM
Last Post: NoSuicide4Me