Religious people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2012 12:25 PM by Xinoftruden.)
Religious people
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best.

What bothers you about religious people? (these do not apply to all religious people)

Is it that they believe in a supreme being

That some of them do not follow what they say they believe? (i.e. the guy holding the god hates fags sign)

Is it the way they think it makes them superior?

Some other reason?

I'm just curious, religion is one issue, but believers themselves cause a few issues as well.

edit:
specifically the larger religions that we have all come to knoow and love.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 12:23 PM
RE: Religious people
There are plenty of religions out there that don't cause many problems. It is those dastardly Abrahamic ones that do all the damage. Tongue They also seem to be the most retarded out of the followers of religion. Maybe it is just because there are more of them, so you notice it more.

I don't even know why I'm posting this... I'm just rambling.

It pretty much comes down to people are fucking gullible and that pisses me off.

[Image: opforum1.png]
19-06-2012, 12:27 PM
The ones on the corner with signs bug the shit out of me. I hate that. It makes me want to go go to their church and hold up signs and hand out pamphlets about the mythology of their beliefs.

The religious nuts outside of planned parenthood bother me too. If you don't agree with abortion, don't fucking get one.

The one that bugs the shit out of me the worst are the anti-science fools who still rely on science but are to up their own ass to realize it. Don't believe in evolution? Do you take antibiotics?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
19-06-2012, 01:00 PM
(19-06-2012 12:13 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best.

What bothers you about religious people? (these do not apply to all religious people)
I think my primary issue with theists (in the broadest sense) is the idea that they claim to know what is best for everyone else based on their understanding of the bible -- this is seen throughout our social issues touching on a host of issues including (but not limited to):

abortion

marriage equality

homosexuality as a sin

taxation (or lack thereof)

health care (since Catholics are all over it now)

Birth control - see above

Prayer in school

10 commandments in court

Hatred, or at least disdain, for secularism

Creationism as science

I'd have zero problem with religion if it were contained to a church - once it spills out...game on Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Seasbury's post
19-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Do as I say because I can make up reasons to perpetrate my bigotry of choice. Authoritarian mindset. Anti-science because it interferes with the programming. Yuck.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
19-06-2012, 02:37 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2012 03:31 PM by kim.)
(19-06-2012 12:13 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best.

Good question. I don't actually have any problem with religious people or Theists, per se. They live however they want - me too. No two persons are the same or have the same life. However, when someone starts pretending there are sides, that's when it gets personal.

When it's a matter of personal, I'd have to say judgement. I've rarely found a religious person to not be judgemental in some way. There is often nothing of their self in their capacity for discernment. They're likes or dislikes are often just condoning or condemning, vaguely based on a platform of rigid doctrine. They are incapable of acceptance or rejection without this doctrine.

A Theist will often state that their doctrine will not abide personal judgement. Their fear of judgement shelters their very incapacity to do so, and with the pretense of it being out of their hands, judgement is the very thing they do; they say they let this doctrine judge for them. They are an accomplice to a lie.

They've given away their freedom to something that doesn't exist, as far as I can tell; that's their problem. When they decide I need to do the same - well, what do you think? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
19-06-2012, 03:18 PM
I hate their arrogance, their superiority complex, their inability to take their ideals from evidence, the fact that "it's god's plan" is a good enough excuse for them... I just hate them in general.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
19-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Hey, Xino.

I'm a Canadian.

We always say that because of multiculturalism, the Canadian national identity is difficult to nail down. The joke is that the two things Canadians can agree on and are most proud of is health care and not being American.

A LOT of Canadians hate the United States. A lot of Canadians hate Americans.

I grew up hating Americans. "Fucking Yanks!" was one of my favourite sayings. When I was in the Canadian army we'd train with American soldiers and we'd just look at them, simmering, basking in our superiority, laughing at their failings.

Then something happened.

The Internet.

Through the Internet I began having conversations with actual American people. I even made some friends. What I realised was that American people were just as good and just as bad as Canadians were. I still had serious issues with the American system, which is fine, because having issues with a system is just having issues with a bunch of ideas. But I realised that it was silly to hate people for who they were affiliated with.

Nothing bothers me about religious people. Because the operative word is people. They're people.

Humans are influenced by two main things, genes and memes.

Any behaviour that we engage in that is not genetic, is memetic.

Memes are hosted by people. The first thing people do when they want to get rid of ideas is burn books. Step two is to burn people. This happens because people confuse the person for the idea. Scientifically speaking, that's idiocy.

In terms of not walking the walk, no human does. We all cross paths with our morality and our ethics and all ideologies, which we are all subject to and agents of, are filled with inconsistencies and contradictions. So if you're looking for a person to misstep, you'll find it just the same as if you're looking for a person to breathe. But if one assumes that they themselves will never misstep, then one denies what is known.

In terms of "people" being gullible or stupid, I never trust anyone that tells me people are stupid because they just called themselves stupid.

And as far as superiority goes, I dislike superiority in all forms. One clear sign of it is stating that everyone is stupid but you; a scientifically indefensible position. Another clear sign of it is making a list of all the reasons you're better than someone else.

So from a system standpoint, I have issues with religion. Primarily to do with the fact that the national and international organisations are hierarchical and hierarchy, coupled with a few maladaptive memes, is never good. It is always a destructive force.

But people? I like people.

Unless they're dickheads. Especially to me. Then I get real mean, real fast. But that only happens with individuals. I dislike them for who they are as a person, not for the cultural norms they've adopted. And if we sit down and talk, we can work things out. Again, only possible with a person. Hell, even Darth Vader redeemed himself. And Luke never gave up on him.

Having issues with groups of people is the lazyest fucking shitbird stupidity that anyone can engage in. The funniest thing in the world is watching people trying to defend it. Well sickening, but funny too.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
19-06-2012, 07:19 PM
I hate the abrogation of responsibility inherent in the whole shebang.

Got a problem? Pray over it and JFC will fix it. Throw up your hands and say "It's in Gawd's hands now." Hey - how about *doing* something yourself?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
19-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Jeez, where do I start?

Judgemental, holier-than-thou attitudes.

"Hey, I got hit by a semi truck in my old POS car, suffering permanent injury, but hey, GOD BROUGHT ME A NEW CAR!!!"

"You're an ATHEIST? Oh, I'm so sorry... I'm praying for you."

Thanking the people that prayed for the successful operation rather than the surgeon that performed it.

"Have you been saved?" No, dick, I've never come close to drowning.

I dunno; pretty much everything about religious people.

Note: I shouldn't post after drinking...
[+] 1 user Likes DannyW's post