Religious people understand the world less, study suggests

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 12:52 AM
Religious people understand the world less, study suggests
Scientists say believers in God more likely to think flowers and rocks can think and feel, and agree with statements like "stones sense the cold".

Researchers at the University of Helsinki compared believers in God or the paranormal to people with autism after finding they tend to struggle to understand the realities of the world around us.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scienc...78896.html

“The more the participants believed in religious or other paranormal phenomena, the lower their intuitive physics skills, mechanical and mental rotation abilities, school grades in mathematics and physics, and knowledge about physical and biological phenomena were… and the more they regarded inanimate targets as mental phenomena”.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post
26-10-2016, 06:20 AM
RE: Religious people understand the world less, study suggests
Now I feel silly for giving the flowers delivered to my house individual names. I mean, if you supposed to feed them flower food, doesn't that make them sentient?
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
26-10-2016, 06:37 AM
(26-10-2016 12:52 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Scientists say believers in God more likely to think flowers and rocks can think and feel, and agree with statements like "stones sense the cold".

Researchers at the University of Helsinki compared believers in God or the paranormal to people with autism after finding they tend to struggle to understand the realities of the world around us.

“The more the participants believed in religious or other paranormal phenomena, the lower their intuitive physics skills, mechanical and mental rotation abilities, school grades in mathematics and physics, and knowledge about physical and biological phenomena were… and the more they regarded inanimate targets as mental phenomena”.

Makes sense when your world is pretty much pre defined for you

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-10-2016, 06:48 AM
(26-10-2016 12:52 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  Scientists say believers in God more likely to think flowers and rocks can think and feel, and agree with statements like "stones sense the cold".

Did they really need to do a study to know this? Totally predictable.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
26-10-2016, 07:21 AM
One could say the same about totalitarians.

I use parallel lines to describe the young Earth creationist and the geologist. The lines will never intersect. The same is true with the totalitarian and individualist.

However, parallel lines can also be used to describe an individual. I think Georges Lemaitre (Primeval Atom) is a good example of not allowing one line to intersect the other.

My Christian father was a mathematician (electrical engineer, AWACS and F-16 radar systems). The lines never intersected.

My Roman Catholic wife can also be included, but the lines can become fuzzy at times. If one of her patients in Hospice wants to pray, for example, she can oblige. If another hates God, she can understand.

Fundamentalist theists and totalitarians, however, simply reject the nature of the human species. They sit on lines which will never intersect my lines of skepticism and individual freedom.
26-10-2016, 07:25 AM
There's a reason that the religious types feel empathy for rocks and other inanimate objects.....

People tend to feel more comfortable around those of a similar I.Q...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2016, 07:26 AM
I think this is a bit biased. Do I think some religious folk are more apt to engage in magical thinking in other areas of their lives if they are willing to believe in a magical creator--Yes, definitely. But do all or most religious people who believe in God think rocks sense cold--I would say no.

I used to be extremely religious--I mean Jesus freak level. I truly lived my life trying to please Jesus as was taught to me by my church and the Bible. I'm also college educated and was at the time--but was still a true believer.

My belief didn't have anything to do with not understanding the world around me. My belief had to do with brainwashing that started at a very young age. Once the God virus (using Darrel Ray's term) takes hold, it is really hard to disengage from that way of thinking, *particularly* when you have family, friends, community, and religious leaders reinforcing that belief pattern.

If you look up the characteristics of cult mentality--some sects of Christianity meet almost every single characteristic. That showcases, to me anyway, that belief has little to do with education/understanding the world around us and has everything to do with brainwashing and psychological techniques, which are often employed at a very young age. This is why you have educated people still believing and defending their religion. I know many Christians who are extremely intelligent and well-educated and yet, still believe.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
26-10-2016, 08:33 AM
(26-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think this is a bit biased. Do I think some religious folk are more apt to engage in magical thinking in other areas of their lives if they are willing to believe in a magical creator--Yes, definitely. But do all or most religious people who believe in God think rocks sense cold--I would say no.

I used to be extremely religious--I mean Jesus freak level. I truly lived my life trying to please Jesus as was taught to me by my church and the Bible. I'm also college educated and was at the time--but was still a true believer.

My belief didn't have anything to do with not understanding the world around me. My belief had to do with brainwashing that started at a very young age. Once the God virus (using Darrel Ray's term) takes hold, it is really hard to disengage from that way of thinking, *particularly* when you have family, friends, community, and religious leaders reinforcing that belief pattern.

If you look up the characteristics of cult mentality--some sects of Christianity meet almost every single characteristic. That showcases, to me anyway, that belief has little to do with education/understanding the world around us and has everything to do with brainwashing and psychological techniques, which are often employed at a very young age. This is why you have educated people still believing and defending their religion. I know many Christians who are extremely intelligent and well-educated and yet, still believe.

The problem with that is that a deep understanding of the world is blocked by believing it is, at its root, magical.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-10-2016, 08:58 AM
(26-10-2016 08:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I think this is a bit biased. Do I think some religious folk are more apt to engage in magical thinking in other areas of their lives if they are willing to believe in a magical creator--Yes, definitely. But do all or most religious people who believe in God think rocks sense cold--I would say no.

The problem with that is that a deep understanding of the world is blocked by believing it is, at its root, magical.

True and there are some Christians who believe the Bible is literal word for word truth (i.e. no evolution, Earth is 6,000 years old, no flood, Adam and Eve existed, etc.). However, many Christians accept science, age of earth, evolution, view Adam and Eve as myth, etc. I did as a Christian and so did many of the people in the church I went to. The magical part was that we believed God set these things in motion.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that many of the Christians I knew and know would not view a rock as a sentient being. Additionally, the part about Christians struggling to understand the world around them (as if it is an educational or learning deficit) is where I felt the study was a bit biased. I think it is more of a brainwashing issue and not evidence of intellectual functioning.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
26-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Back in the '90s, when I still went to church, the gaia hypothesis was gaining some traction, at least at one seminar I went to. Don't know what happened, I've left and don't care, and I didn't buy into that, either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis