Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Religious people, why do they come here?
We keep getting religious folk here. Some come and stay a long time, some drive by and leave a note.

Some are good to talk to - these usually leave after a bit, I think because they get overwhelmed by all the people addressing them, looking for a real conversation with a theist.

Some come here and get yelled at for months because they are condescending and full of hatred.

So what are they getting out of it?

Maybe some of them want to be apologists and try to sharpen their skills here.

Probably some of them want to convert us and shine in front of their gods.

I would bet some just get off on the adrenalin they get from walking as known theists among a bunch of heathens.

And of course, their gods give them rewards for getting insulted and attacked while they are are doing the honorable thing, spreading the god's name among heathens.

That's what I can come up with.

What do you think?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
24-06-2014, 03:48 PM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
They get reactions and responses.
[+] 8 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
24-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I think the bulk, just come to troll. They don't really give a crap about religion, but like to cause trouble. The troll being purposefully provocative to insight a response.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
24-06-2014, 03:55 PM
To feed their martyr syndrome.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
24-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I honestly don't know, I suppose it's mostly the things already mentioned.
I wouldn't mind at all if they actually brought a valid point along with them.
Being insulting and acting superior is no way to go about it.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
24-06-2014, 03:59 PM
I bet there are a few of them who are having a crisis of faith and are hoping the baby eaters will prove so evil that they will be convinced to never ever question their faith again lest they become one of us.

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
24-06-2014, 04:04 PM
So that their self-respect can go to heaven as a martyr.

All great truths begin as blasphemy - George Bernard Shaw
[+] 1 user Likes Anna's post
24-06-2014, 04:09 PM
(24-06-2014 03:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  We keep getting religious folk here. Some come and stay a long time, some drive by and leave a note.

Some are good to talk to - these usually leave after a bit, I think because they get overwhelmed by all the people addressing them, looking for a real conversation with a theist.

Some come here and get yelled at for months because they are condescending and full of hatred.

So what are they getting out of it?

Maybe some of them want to be apologists and try to sharpen their skills here.

Probably some of them want to convert us and shine in front of their gods.

I would bet some just get off on the adrenalin they get from walking as known theists among a bunch of heathens.

And of course, their gods give them rewards for getting insulted and attacked while they are are doing the honourable thing, spreading the god's name among heathens.

That's what I can come up with.

What do you think?

There are plenty of viable reasons: First and foremost; Trolls gonna troll. Albeit fairly unsuccessfully around here, considering that they provided a near endless supply of fun for most us.

Some are, of course legitimate believers who actually want conversation, but they be in the smallest minority in all the interwebs.
Some might be having some sort of 'crisis' of 'faith' and come here for assurance that then nar non-believers are as evil as Pastor 'Ted' said, as Girly suggested.
But I reckon that the majority (outside of trolls) are those who are just seeking to talk at people and act as a 'holy' mouthpiece, but not necessarily intending to troll.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
24-06-2014, 04:16 PM
I believe it's because they can't have any fun because their religion forbids them from a lot of fun stuff lol. Day in the life of a devout must be so boring so they do what they do best, try and convert and debate and spread the word.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
24-06-2014, 04:34 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 04:39 PM by Freethought.)
The ones who actually want civilized conversation probably come here to read about what people who disagree with their faith have to say.

For others who desire only to instigate people by purposefully being vacuous mainly seek reaction. They are the zealots who get a cheap thrill by being called out on their stupidity, and unfortunately just go further into the mindless dribble because they are unwilling to listen to sound argument and prefer to cling onto an antiquated mindset.

Of course there are probably many other reasons. Some I've heard from theists on the forum are that they are openly curious to hear others thoughts and opinions that don't necessarily always agree with them. Others may have doubts on their religion and may come on here to see people talk more about them in depth. And then, there are the ones who seek attention and know they stand out in an atheist/agnostic forum if they're religious. They love attention because they feel special in their beliefs, and so go on to an online evangelical mission to garner more attention by being explicitly argumentative and dismissive.

There may very well be more reasons I didn't list out, but I really hope the vast majority come here to honestly enable their mind to being more open by honestly considering our various opinions and arguments. If a christian only read books by christian authors, chances are extremely high they'd always be a christian. It's only at looking at the big picture can you truly formulate a conclusion by being non-biased as good chances are, it'll lead you to a more sound, independent one by considering all of the other options.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post