Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2014, 11:13 AM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
(26-06-2014 08:55 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Here's a test for you, KC, and don't worry, its only one question: what part of the Rulez below are you willfully ignoring like some asshole theotard apologist troll?:

Teh Forum Rulez Wrote:We allow swearing, sexual language, and attacks on a person's character, this means that this place is not for everyone. If you are easily offended by such things this may not be the place for you.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...nd-Members

If my past post was too subtle...

WTF does anything you wrote have to do with anything being discussed or anything that I asked?

Hence:

STRAWMAN

Take note. This is a correct application/accusation of a strawman.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
27-06-2014, 11:36 AM
(27-06-2014 11:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ... If my past post was too subtle ...

Subtle? Try this newspaper article for subtle. We're going to read this or see it on the 6:00 news and its timing will be amazingly coincident with a sudden absence of our favorite "attack whirlybird" in the threads. Do I believe it? Just about 100%.
27-06-2014, 11:43 AM
(27-06-2014 11:36 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 11:13 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ... If my past post was too subtle ...

Subtle? Try this newspaper article for subtle. We're going to read this or see it on the 6:00 news and its timing will be amazingly coincident with a sudden absence of our favorite "attack whirlybird" in the threads. Do I believe it? Just about 100%.

Ohmy

Nope that can't be him. That dude "...posted on Facebook that he was “feeling regret,”".

Our bird is still out of the cage. Dodgy

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-06-2014, 11:46 AM
(24-06-2014 03:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  We keep getting religious folk here. Some come and stay a long time, some drive by and leave a note.

Some are good to talk to - these usually leave after a bit, I think because they get overwhelmed by all the people addressing them, looking for a real conversation with a theist.

Some come here and get yelled at for months because they are condescending and full of hatred.

So what are they getting out of it?

Maybe some of them want to be apologists and try to sharpen their skills here.

Probably some of them want to convert us and shine in front of their gods.

I would bet some just get off on the adrenalin they get from walking as known theists among a bunch of heathens.

And of course, their gods give them rewards for getting insulted and attacked while they are are doing the honorable thing, spreading the god's name among heathens.

That's what I can come up with.

What do you think?

I'm here for two reasons. The first is that I enjoy reading and engaging in debates especially on particularly passionate subjects. Secondly whenever someone asks me a question that I don't know the answer to I have to look it up. This makes me learn more about my faith and church. I am significantly more orthodox now then I was when I started and I think this site has really helped with that. Short Answer: this site makes me more religious and its fun.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
27-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Fuck YOU, 522!

27-06-2014, 12:08 PM
(27-06-2014 11:46 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ...
Short Answer: this site makes me more religious and its fun.

I'd like to understand the psychology behind that.

The de-conversion stories have not moved you?

The rationales have not persuaded you?

The acrobatics of the apologists haven't made you think how weak are the foundations?

Taq's Colin Farrell gifs haven't convinced?

I am interested in why your faith has deepened?

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
27-06-2014, 12:32 PM
(27-06-2014 11:46 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 03:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  We keep getting religious folk here. Some come and stay a long time, some drive by and leave a note.

Some are good to talk to - these usually leave after a bit, I think because they get overwhelmed by all the people addressing them, looking for a real conversation with a theist.

Some come here and get yelled at for months because they are condescending and full of hatred.

So what are they getting out of it?

Maybe some of them want to be apologists and try to sharpen their skills here.

Probably some of them want to convert us and shine in front of their gods.

I would bet some just get off on the adrenalin they get from walking as known theists among a bunch of heathens.

And of course, their gods give them rewards for getting insulted and attacked while they are are doing the honorable thing, spreading the god's name among heathens.

That's what I can come up with.

What do you think?

I'm here for two reasons. The first is that I enjoy reading and engaging in debates especially on particularly passionate subjects. Secondly whenever someone asks me a question that I don't know the answer to I have to look it up. This makes me learn more about my faith and church. I am significantly more orthodox now then I was when I started and I think this site has really helped with that. Short Answer: this site makes me more religious and its fun.

So, what exactly strengthened your faith?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
27-06-2014, 05:08 PM (This post was last modified: 27-06-2014 05:34 PM by TarzanSmith.)
(27-06-2014 12:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 11:46 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  ...
Short Answer: this site makes me more religious and its fun.

I'd like to understand the psychology behind that.

The de-conversion stories have not moved you?

The rationales have not persuaded you?

The acrobatics of the apologists haven't made you think how weak are the foundations?

Taq's Colin Farrell gifs haven't convinced?

I am interested in why your faith has deepened?

As I said, whenever I am questioned and I don't know the answer, then I am forced to look up said answer, thus my knowledge of my faith increases. Also I think This website, for the above reason, was a contributing factor to my going to Our Lady Seat Of Wisdom Academy, which is a private Catholic post secondary institution. This place has greatly increased my faith and knowledge of the faith. That place essentially turned me from a regular Catholic into an extreme Catholic.

Also would a christian conversion story move you into becoming christian.

Edit: This site got me interested in my faith which was a big factor in me going to the university.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
27-06-2014, 05:32 PM
^^^ What the fuck ?
27-06-2014, 06:19 PM
(27-06-2014 05:08 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  That place essentially turned me from a regular Catholic into an extreme Catholic.

Oh well, you can't win them all. Angel
Stick around though, if you would, your adherence to the someone else's imagination as reality is fascinating.

I'd be interested to witness your progression. Maybe one day soon we'll be reading your own imagination at work as a rewritten version of the scriptures. Or perhaps you'll send us pictures of your massive thigh. The sky is the limit once you've swallowed the fly, my friend. And as long as you really want it to be, it's always turtles all the way down......

Congratulations! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post