Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2014, 02:53 AM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
(28-06-2014 02:27 AM)Charis Wrote:  May I please say something from a Christian perspective?

The personal testimony is often soooo important to the Christian, because it represents "THE Moment." That moment when, in their perspective, that person comes into a friendship with an unimaginably powerful being who, as they see it, loved them enough to sacrifice himself for them. To them, this is sometimes the most personal thing they could share with an unbeliever, ESPECIALLY "an Atheist."

It is often no small thing when they do this. If the person is not a troll, please treat them gently when they share their personal testimony. Don't hold back facts, of course, but please understand that this person is sharing a somewhat vulnerable part of themselves....

I appreciate that, but the best I can manage is to not say anything. I just cannot understand belief through personal "revelation". Its like when a kid describes the magic of their first christmas... but its an adult who doesn't believe in evolution and thinks the earth is 6000 years old. It isn't cute anymore, be a grown up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Michael_Tadlock's post
28-06-2014, 02:57 AM
(28-06-2014 02:53 AM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:27 AM)Charis Wrote:  May I please say something from a Christian perspective?

The personal testimony is often soooo important to the Christian, because it represents "THE Moment." That moment when, in their perspective, that person comes into a friendship with an unimaginably powerful being who, as they see it, loved them enough to sacrifice himself for them. To them, this is sometimes the most personal thing they could share with an unbeliever, ESPECIALLY "an Atheist."

It is often no small thing when they do this. If the person is not a troll, please treat them gently when they share their personal testimony. Don't hold back facts, of course, but please understand that this person is sharing a somewhat vulnerable part of themselves....

I appreciate that, but the best I can manage is to not say anything. I just cannot understand belief through personal "revelation". Its like when a kid describes the magic of their first christmas... but its an adult who doesn't believe in evolution and thinks the earth is 6000 years old. It isn't cute anymore, be a grown up.

This is very true. And yet, they usually believe it with everything in themselves. Just like we need to be gentle with a kiddo who is about to learn, for the first time, that Santa doesn't exist, we might want to be gentle with this. It's an even bigger deception, and one that often governs many, if not all, parts of the Christian's life. It's like an extended surgery to deconvert. It can be traumatizing for a bit.
[+] 6 users Like Charis's post
28-06-2014, 02:58 AM
(28-06-2014 02:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:48 AM)Charis Wrote:  ...
the Vosur effect...

... seriously over-rated, in my view

Girl_nails

LOL, don't worry, there's a prominent "DLJ effect" too. Wink

That Vosur effect though....
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
28-06-2014, 03:07 AM
(28-06-2014 02:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:48 AM)Charis Wrote:  ...
the Vosur effect...

... seriously over-rated, in my view

Girl_nails
Hear, hear! Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
28-06-2014, 03:22 AM
(28-06-2014 03:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... seriously over-rated, in my view

Girl_nails
Nonsense, good Sir.
28-06-2014, 03:34 AM (This post was last modified: 28-06-2014 03:40 AM by Mathilda.)
(28-06-2014 03:07 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  ... seriously over-rated, in my view

Girl_nails

Sollte es nicht sein "Hören! Hören!"? Wir sind die Vosur Wirkung sprechen über!

Edit: Mein Fehler, es sein sollte "Bravo! Richtig!"
http://www.dict.cc/english-german/Hear+Hear.html
28-06-2014, 03:53 AM
One thing that I've noticed when born again Christians talking about their revelations is that when they get up in front of their fellow sheep, they seem to try and out-do each other about how misled they were in their previous life. At least in my extremely limited experience. It was like a Christian version of the Four Yorkshiremen.

One stood up and said how he was misled by Satan into doing evil hobbies like Kung Fu. I remember my brother getting worried about that because they got him to visualise 'chi' energy, which really is just a useful learning tool as far as I can see. Then another would stand up and say how he had smoked joints, drank a lot and was irresponsible (like everyone is in Britain at that age). After that another would say the same thing but how he was also interested in new age mysticism.

I think what was happening was one person would stand up and talk briefly about themselves before they converted, the next would try to think of something else to add. And if you then went back to the first person and asked them to repeat their story they'd probably include everything everybody else had said but add even more stuff.

On hearing these tales of misled lives I often end up thinking it all sounds like fun.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
28-06-2014, 11:50 AM
Imposing, urge to convert, etc.

He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression.
-- Thomas Paine,
[+] 1 user Likes Forthright Atheist's post
28-06-2014, 09:19 PM
(28-06-2014 02:09 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(27-06-2014 08:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
Oh, look, yet another strawman from the Whining Section.

There are 3 types of people in the world...

The pessimist, who thinks that the glass is half empty

The optimist, who thinks that the glass is half full

The Forum buffoon, who thinks that the glass of water is a straw man argument.

You shouldn't talk about KC like that.

(28-06-2014 02:37 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-06-2014 02:27 AM)Charis Wrote:  ...
a somewhat vulnerable part of themselves....

... or as Taq would call it... opening themselves up for a kick to the vitals.

When have I ever said that, moron.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
28-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I know some come to argue and stir up trouble. My ex, who is a christian, only when it suits him - trust me - loved stirring up debates with atheists.

But, some of them might stop by here, because they are in that place of uncertainty. Rough place!

When I was in that place, I did read tons of atheist material, forums, videos. Actually, that is how I found TTA. One of the reasons I was searching, was because I was desperately trying to prove, that I was right, not the evil doers. Rolleyes

And like Charis, I understand where they are and how they feel. They are...I was, very vulnerable, and we should try to be supportive in their quest. If they are just here to be pissy, I try to ignore them, cause I know Taq will sick-em! Laughat

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 6 users Like CindysRain's post