Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2014, 09:02 PM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
(02-07-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 05:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  I am probably what you would be referring to as a religious person although I would flatly deny being religious. Anyway, I would like to respond to your thread which I take to be forthright and honest and deserves the same.

Of course it always is dependent upon how one defines and therefore understands the term God as used in scripture. And this is why for me, I like talking to atheists. Atheists are an antithesis in logical reasoning to a person like myself who knows God and reasons accordingly.

This should not be taken to mean that I am lifted up by talking with people who are morons compared to me. On the contrary, many here are very intelligent and knowledgeable in many things, whereas I am not. No, I marvel that God chooses the lowly things to put to naught the high things of this world.

Apart from that, I think you may be right about the intentions of some of your theist guests. Can't say for sure. But for me, I enjoy discussing God with a passion and the atheist forum is the best place for that.

I don't think anybody really likes me here, nor do I blame them. I am like a fly at their picnic so to speak. I don't mean to be, nor do I enjoy being cast as such. Nonetheless, I respectfully would not patronize you all as I don't believe that would be forthright. Circumstances being what they are, I will simply point out the hypocrisy of your position as respectfully as possible. Simply put, it's what I would have done to me, if I were you.

Thanks for an honest reply, although I still don't quite understand what would make us preferable conversation partners for you as opposed to a theist message board.

I haven't seen much of your posting, when I look at a thread and it's full of ad hominems I move along. Not saying you issued them, I have no idea who did, probably lots of people here. So I have no actual impression of you as a person.
Thank you for your forthright response. I can tell you that many atheists offer a more challenging aspect to the conversation.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2014, 09:42 PM
(02-07-2014 07:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 05:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  I am probably what you would be referring to as a religious person although I would flatly deny being religious. Anyway, I would like to respond to your thread which I take to be forthright and honest and deserves the same.

Of course it always is dependent upon how one defines and therefore understands the term God as used in scripture. And this is why for me, I like talking to atheists. Atheists are an antithesis in logical reasoning to a person like myself who knows God and reasons accordingly.

This should not be taken to mean that I am lifted up by talking with people who are morons compared to me. On the contrary, many here are very intelligent and knowledgeable in many things, whereas I am not. No, I marvel that God chooses the lowly things to put to naught the high things of this world.

Apart from that, I think you may be right about the intentions of some of your theist guests. Can't say for sure. But for me, I enjoy discussing God with a passion and the atheist forum is the best place for that.

I don't think anybody really likes me here, nor do I blame them. I am like a fly at their picnic so to speak. I don't mean to be, nor do I enjoy being cast as such. Nonetheless, I respectfully would not patronize you all as I don't believe that would be forthright. Circumstances being what they are, I will simply point out the hypocrisy of your position as respectfully as possible. Simply put, it's what I would have done to me, if I were you.

Thanks for an honest reply, although I still don't quite understand what would make us preferable conversation partners for you as opposed to a theist message board.

I haven't seen much of your posting, when I look at a thread and it's full of ad hominems I move along. Not saying you issued them, I have no idea who did, probably lots of people here. So I have no actual impression of you as a person.

To add on that I would like to say that their is a guy I know who seems to think the same as me in almost everything. We agree on nearly every subject except what is the best NHL team ( It's the leafs of course, not the oilers). We seem to react the same way in the same situations and we think the same things. When we are alone, we can't say anything to each other. Conversation is dead. one of us makes a statement and the other agrees. Sometimes a difference of opinion is a good thing, and often much more entertaining.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-07-2014, 09:48 PM
(02-07-2014 07:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  In other words, we use reason and logic (and evidence) whereas you don't.Check.
Not at all. I'm just saying that we reason differently based upon the differences in those things we hold to be true. There is plenty of evidence of Love and good reason to trust in Love. As scripture says, God is Love.

Quote:Except that you haven't, and you can't, point out any hypocrisy in our position AT ALL, idiot.
On the contrary, I am always willing to point out any contradictions in your reasoning. Number one is that you claim there is no God, based on your arbitrary definition of God (a superstition). You therefore make up what the term God pertains to, and then discount the existence of such based on that made up definition. However God according to scripture is the moral goodness that is the empathy in mankind. And there is no question that such a Love exists.
02-07-2014, 10:09 PM
(02-07-2014 09:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 07:24 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  In other words, we use reason and logic (and evidence) whereas you don't.Check.
Not at all. I'm just saying that we reason differently based upon the differences in those things we hold to be true. There is plenty of evidence of Love and good reason to trust in Love. As scripture says, God is Love.

You just made my point for me.

Quote:
Quote:Except that you haven't, and you can't, point out any hypocrisy in our position AT ALL, idiot.
On the contrary, I am always willing to point out any contradictions in your reasoning. Number one is that you claim there is no God, based on your arbitrary definition of God (a superstition).

Who the fuck are you talking to? certainly not me.

I use ANY and EVERY definition that any of you idiots comes up with.

Quote:You therefore make up what the term God pertains to, and then discount the existence of such based on that made up definition.

"*I* am not the one making up definitions here, YOU are:
Quote:However God according to scripture is the moral goodness that is the empathy in mankind. And there is no question that such a Love exists.

Pure bullshit.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-07-2014, 01:27 PM
(02-07-2014 10:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 09:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Not at all. I'm just saying that we reason differently based upon the differences in those things we hold to be true. There is plenty of evidence of Love and good reason to trust in Love. As scripture says, God is Love.

You just made my point for me.
Then we are in agreement on this? Including there is plenty of evidence of Love?
Quote:On the contrary, I am always willing to point out any contradictions in your reasoning. Number one is that you claim there is no God, based on your arbitrary definition of God (a superstition).

Quote:Who the fuck are you talking to? certainly not me.
So you believe in the scriptural description that God is Love?
Quote:I use ANY and EVERY definition that any of you idiots comes up with.
To be clear, I didn't come up with it. That is why I point to scripture.

Quote:You therefore make up what the term God pertains to, and then discount the existence of such based on that made up definition.

Quote:"*I* am not the one making up definitions here, YOU are:
Again, I did not make this up. It is in scripture.
Quote:However God according to scripture is the moral goodness that is the empathy in mankind. And there is no question that such a Love exists.

Quote:Pure bullshit.
No really. You are on record saying you welcome any definition that is presented. Are you now going to be hypocritical and say this definition is bullshit? Or are you saying empathy does not exist?
03-07-2014, 02:19 PM
(02-07-2014 11:08 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You seem to be acutely unaware that this is an atheist forum and not an xtard forum.

This is inaccurate.

Perhaps the following will provide insight.
Quote:Rules
---
Additional Information
This forum isn't just for atheists. It is for anyone - no matter what race, religion, sex, sexual preference, or anything else. Anyone is welcome to participate and express their opinions.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-07-2014, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 02:29 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(03-07-2014 01:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 10:09 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You just made my point for me.
Then we are in agreement on this?

No, we are not. I pointed out your abject failure to use reason, logic and evidence, and you rely on bullshit and infantile platitudes.

Quote:Including there is plenty of evidence of Love?

The fact that there is this emotion that we call "love" in the world is IRRELEVANT to your preposterous claim that your mythical deity is a fucking EMOTION. Your "definition" is completely idiotic.

Quote:
Quote:On the contrary, I am always willing to point out any contradictions in your reasoning. Number one is that you claim there is no God, based on your arbitrary definition of God (a superstition).

Quote:Who the fuck are you talking to? certainly not me.
So you believe in the scriptural description that God is Love?

That isn't even a coherent definition. No. I made that clear a long time ago with you. Kinda fucking stupid for you to try it on me or anyone else here again.
Quote:
Quote:I use ANY and EVERY definition that any of you idiots comes up with.
To be clear, I didn't come up with it. That is why I point to scripture.

You might as well be pointing to Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Quote:

Quote:"*I* am not the one making up definitions here, YOU are:
Again, I did not make this up. It is in scripture.

And I point to your same scripture, at the same fairy tale monster in your fairy tale book, as it is depicted to commit and command mass genocide, and I declare that there's no fucking way that your mythical creature is "love".

Quote:

Quote:Pure bullshit.
No really. You are on record saying you welcome any definition that is presented.

I didn't say anything about "welcoming" any definition. "Destroy" is more like it.

Quote:Are you now going to be hypocritical
Nothing hypocritical at all abut pointing out the folly of your "definition".

Quote: and say this definition is bullshit?

I just did, moron. It IS.

Quote: Or are you saying empathy does not exist?

This has nothing at all to do with empathy. Your "definition" is completely invalid. It's so wrong, it's Not Even Wrong.

03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
(03-07-2014 02:19 PM)kim Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 11:08 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  You seem to be acutely unaware that this is an atheist forum and not an xtard forum.

This is inaccurate.

Not at all.

Quote:Perhaps the following will provide insight.
Quote:Rules
---
Additional Information
This forum isn't just for atheists. It is for anyone - no matter what race, religion, sex, sexual preference, or anything else. Anyone is welcome to participate and express their opinions.

It's not an XTARD forum. Yes, xtians are welcome, but the banner at the top says "Atheist". If it were an Xtard forum, it would say "The Xtard Forum". The fact that others are welcome doesn't make it not an atheist forum.

FFS, idiot. Facepalm

03-07-2014, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 03:01 PM by childeye.)
(03-07-2014 02:20 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That isn't even a coherent definition.
If I said Love rules, would you understand what I mean?
Quote:To be clear, I didn't come up with it. That is why I point to scripture.

Quote:You might as well be pointing to Grimm's Fairy Tales.
You're dodging the issue. The issue is not whether the bible is fantasy. The issue is I did not invent the definition that God is Love.

Quote:Again, I did not make this up. It is in scripture.

Quote:And I point to your same scripture, at the same fairy tale monster in your fairy tale book, as it is depicted to commit and command mass genocide, and I declare that there's no fucking way that your mythical creature is "love".
Well at least you give solid reason for your conviction why God is not Love. However, you are referring to the Old Testament before the change in the Godhead, see Revelations 12:9-10. Hence your anger is tantamount to support for the Christ and the New Testament. Do you find Christ and his self sacrificing Love objectionable? Please spare me the issue of whether or not Jesus existed as told in the Gospel even as you claim your hatred for the Old Testament God is based on something non existent. I just want to know if you recognize Love in the Christ, just as you don't recognize love in the God of the Old Testament.

Quote:No really. You are on record saying you welcome any definition that is presented.

Quote:I didn't say anything about "welcoming" any definition. "Destroy" is more like it.
So you would destroy the image of God presented in the Christ? Why? Are you better than him? Why such devotion to cynicism? Would you despise being served by the Love that is seen in the Christ?

Quote:Are you now going to be hypocritical
Quote:Nothing hypocritical at all abut pointing out the folly of your "definition".
You have not pointed out the folly of the scriptural definition of God as Love. You simply stated that the God of the Old Testament was not Love. To me, you simply endorsed the Christ over Satan whether you realize that or not.

Quote: and say this definition is bullshit?

Quote:I just did, moron. It IS.
So how exactly is the Christ not Love?
Quote: Or are you saying empathy does not exist?

Quote:This has nothing at all to do with empathy. Your "definition" is completely invalid. It's so wrong, it's Not Even Wrong.
Well, there you have it. You simply deny that empathy is God and rules as the moral impetus in mankind. Even though without empathy you could not be mad about genocide. More hypocrisy.
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM
What is your basis for saying that God is empathy?