Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2014, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2014 07:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
Probably a lot of reasons.
I've been thinking about this in a slightly different way, recently.
1. Some have (or think they have) never met an "atheist". So they are curious.
2. Some want to try out the tripe they learned from the WLC idiots of the world, and want to see how it works, IRL.
3. I was talking to a liberal (very nice actually) "pastor" lady recently, and I got her to admit that Eastern Tao mysticism, Western Contemplative (Dark Night of the Soul -- John of the Cross European) Christianity, and agnostic atheism leave one in the same place, ("darkness" before an unknown).
4. But if you go to church, it's kind of like a Kabuki Play, or any form of Drama, (movies, or plays, opera, or anything) you participate in, as "audience" You have to suspend your reason, and play along. It's just expected, and the way it's done. That's what I see happening when I've been to church. NO one (almost) REALLY gets what's actually happening there. It's a social group inclusion ritual. It's about community, not about beliefs, really. Something about that group thing, is satisfying for those who need it, or do it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
24-06-2014, 04:57 PM
I'm with MSBB on this one.

While a few may want sincere interaction I think most are just here to troll. Drinking Beverage

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
24-06-2014, 07:12 PM
In the 99.99 % of cases those asswipes come to troll.
24-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Well, troll's gonna troll, but... Poe's law. Can we really say they're not true believers?

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
24-06-2014, 08:21 PM
(24-06-2014 08:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, troll's gonna troll, but... Poe's law. Can we really say they're not true believers?

I would be amazed if anyone other than a flyby is a Poe. Too much work to keep it up.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
24-06-2014, 08:40 PM
(24-06-2014 08:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 08:18 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Well, troll's gonna troll, but... Poe's law. Can we really say they're not true believers?

I would be amazed if anyone other than a flyby is a Poe. Too much work to keep it up.

Hey, if it's fun as a lark, why couldn't it be fun as a regular hobby?
24-06-2014, 08:56 PM
(24-06-2014 08:40 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 08:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I would be amazed if anyone other than a flyby is a Poe. Too much work to keep it up.

Hey, if it's fun as a lark, why couldn't it be fun as a regular hobby?

Theists get swarmed here. Look at Jeremy Walker's reply to post count sometime. I just don't think anyone would put that kind of effort into it on a lark.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-06-2014, 10:18 PM
(24-06-2014 08:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(24-06-2014 08:40 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Hey, if it's fun as a lark, why couldn't it be fun as a regular hobby?

Theists get swarmed here. Look at Jeremy Walker's reply to post count sometime. I just don't think anyone would put that kind of effort into it on a lark.

That's more or less what I was thinking. "Well they're trolls" doesn't, to me, suffice to explain the tireless insanity some of our most beloved visitors sustain. Trolling is a art, and it's got to be deliberate - just being a threadcrapping, dishonest, facetious, ignorant git isn't enough.

And I don't think the ones with thousands of posts are anything but True Believers (be it childeye, PleaseJesus, Egor, whoever). Ol' J.E. Walker here is just the latest and greatest in the hit parade.

... this is my signature!
[+] 5 users Like cjlr's post
24-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I'd say most of the reasons have been covered pretty well.

I was a Theist when I came here, so I guess I'll give my own account, which many of you will remember as it was pretty recent, relatively speaking.

I was having serious doubts about Christianity (was coming out of fundamentalism) and was pretty confused about things. As I was already questioning the validity of the Bible and also the validity of the Paganism/Wicca I was dabbling in, I figured... why not see what the Atheists have to say? After all, doubting the Bible means doubting the creation account. So if not creationism, would/could I believe in evolution? If evolution is possible, which group would know it best? I figured the answer to that one would be the Atheists. Meh, why not.

So I lurked for a few days. Then I joined, and posted in the Intro section. Then I kinda mingled socially for a bit while reading through past threads.... I've been on forums before (many of them) and so I was already aware that most of my immediate questions about a group could be answered by reading past threads.

Then I opened a couple threads myself....

It took probably about a month or so between registering and deconverting.

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
[+] 5 users Like Charis's post
25-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Probably the same reason atheists visit theist forums.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley