Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 06:52 AM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
When you have someone who disagrees with reality their arguments are going to be troll by default even if they aren't trying to troll.

I think the majority already know they are trolling and that's how they get their kicks.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2014, 07:20 AM
I'm struggling to find something analogous, i'ts impossible to walk in their shoes without going full retard.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
25-06-2014, 07:38 AM
(25-06-2014 06:52 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  When you have someone who disagrees with reality their arguments are going to be troll by default even if they aren't trying to troll.

I think the majority already know they are trolling and that's how they get their kicks.

ITA. It's like poking the bear in the cage, getting it all riled up, then running away and bragging how they "got" the bear.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
25-06-2014, 08:00 AM
See, I don't agree with you guys.

Sometimes, the obvious troll is obvious.

Many times, we will never know whether we had a doubting Thomas who put forth the very things that trouble him to see what we would say about them. Being automatically classified as troll, getting abuse heaped upon him by the bucket full and mercilessly attacked, he leaves. He will either be still conflicted or run back to the church where people are more friendly to him. That may account for some of the one-post-wonders we get.

Personally, I think every doubting Thomas sent on his way in this fashion is a tragedy.

This is my one and only beef with this forum.

Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 10 users Like Dom's post
25-06-2014, 09:39 AM
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  See, I don't agree with you guys.

99.99999999999999999% of the tome, obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:Many times, we will never know whether we had a doubting Thomas who put forth the very things that trouble him to see what we would say about them. Being automatically classified as troll, getting abuse heaped upon him by the bucket full and mercilessly attacked, he leaves. He will either be still conflicted or run back to the church where people are more friendly to him. That may account for some of the one-post-wonders we get.

Personally, I think every doubting Thomas sent on his way in this fashion is a tragedy.

This is my one and only beef with this forum.

Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

That's pure speculation, a fallacious appeal to ignorance.

Case in point: You see that Charis didn't get eaten alive here.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-06-2014, 09:56 AM
(25-06-2014 09:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  See, I don't agree with you guys.

99.99999999999999999% of the tome, obvious troll is obvious.

Well; good thing you're around, to arbitrate any of that nasty subjectivity involved.

(25-06-2014 09:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's pure speculation, a fallacious appeal to ignorance.

Saying "we don't know" when we don't know isn't fallacious. That's a genuine appeal to ignorance.

You know it's fallacious to argue the contrary with one counter-example, right?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
25-06-2014, 10:00 AM
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  ... Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

Thanks, Dom. I was surprised when I first signed aboard to discover sanctimony fully intact herein, but soon realized I shouldn't have been surprised. It would have been be unreasonable to expect perfection. Or even to seek it. We are, after all, people, not angels.

But consider the possibilities if a site like this were MADE attractive to theists. If our holy grail, to borrow a term, is diminuition of religious influence, it doesn't help our case if theists drop in expecting to find asses, and find them.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
25-06-2014, 10:25 AM
(25-06-2014 10:00 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  ... Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

Thanks, Dom. I was surprised when I first signed aboard to discover sanctimony fully intact herein, but soon realized I shouldn't have been surprised. It would have been be unreasonable to expect perfection. Or even to seek it. We are, after all, people, not angels.

But consider the possibilities if a site like this were MADE attractive to theists. If our holy grail, to borrow a term, is diminuition of religious influence, it doesn't help our case if theists drop in expecting to find asses, and find them.

I think this site is a good reminder that really the only thing most of us have in common is we are Atheists. Its interesting to see how wildy different we all are in personality, lifestyle and approach.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Actually, from what I understand, Seth wanted theists to be part of the forum so that debates could take place. Seth is, however, not taking an active role here at the forum other than in emergencies.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
25-06-2014, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 10:36 AM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(25-06-2014 09:56 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 09:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  99.99999999999999999% of the tome, obvious troll is obvious.

Well; good thing you're around, to arbitrate any of that nasty subjectivity involved.

Damn right.

Quote:
(25-06-2014 09:39 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's pure speculation, a fallacious appeal to ignorance.

Saying "we don't know" when we don't know isn't fallacious. That's a genuine appeal to ignorance.

Dom is taking a mere speculation (based on a fallacious appeal to ignorance) with no corroborating evidence and then running with it as if it were a fact ("we don't know if anyone who wasn't actually a troll was run off, but I'll assume it's true and complain as if it's happening anyway ("this is my one and only beef with the forum")">.

Quote:You know it's fallacious to argue the contrary with one counter-example, right?

I pointed out a prominent, relevant, and completely on-point example that we know of where dom's judgment of the forum was clearly not true.

How many examples did Dom give?

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop