Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 10:35 AM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
Boredom at work and this being the only forum that wasn't blocked by the filter at the place I worked when I joined.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-06-2014, 10:39 AM
(25-06-2014 10:00 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  ... Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

Thanks, Dom. I was surprised when I first signed aboard to discover sanctimony fully intact herein, but soon realized I shouldn't have been surprised. It would have been be unreasonable to expect perfection. Or even to seek it. We are, after all, people, not angels.

But consider the possibilities if a site like this were MADE attractive to theists. If our holy grail, to borrow a term, is diminuition of religious influence, it doesn't help our case if theists drop in expecting to find asses, and find them.

Why don't you wander over to one of the many forums that are specifically set up for xtian-atheist debate and see for yourself just how well that works out. Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-06-2014, 10:53 AM
Because the inquisition was too long ago and it's too expensive to recreate. Once someone has internet they are free to kick and choose as they please.

Your level of mileage/torment may vary.

Angel

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
25-06-2014, 11:03 AM
(25-06-2014 10:00 AM)Airportkid Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 08:00 AM)Dom Wrote:  ... Judgement without evidence is a bad thing. It happens here all the time, and I am sure there are casualties.

Thanks, Dom. I was surprised when I first signed aboard to discover sanctimony fully intact herein, but soon realized I shouldn't have been surprised. It would have been be unreasonable to expect perfection. Or even to seek it. We are, after all, people, not angels.

But consider the possibilities if a site like this were MADE attractive to theists. If our holy grail, to borrow a term, is diminuition of religious influence, it doesn't help our case if theists drop in expecting to find asses, and find them.

*dimunition Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2014, 11:08 AM
(25-06-2014 10:53 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Your level of mileage/torment may vary.

I have magic, never ending gas in my tank, and I'm immune to torment due to a force field. I got these when I time traveled to the 31st century about 3 years ago.

I came to TTA to test them. They are a roaring success, wouldn't you say?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
25-06-2014, 11:11 AM
(25-06-2014 11:08 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 10:53 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Your level of mileage/torment may vary.

I have magic, never ending gas in my tank, and I'm immune to torment due to a force field. I got these when I time traveled to the 31st century about 3 years ago.

I came to TTA to test them. They are a roaring success, wouldn't you say?

You found temple garb?
25-06-2014, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2014 11:49 AM by kim.)
I've only read a few responses on the thread, so far - sorry if someone has already posted similarly.

I think a few religious people come here with a preconceived notion of "atheist" in mind. Positive or negative impressions may not necessarily be what they are after.

I think people look to have their suspected idea of what "atheist" means, definitively proven here, and often just in a few interactions. Their interactions here can quite specifically reinforce their own preconceived notions.

Their experience (I cavorted with/witnessed to, atheists) becomes the perfect counter to what they've been told to feel (and therefore know) about their religion. They see it as an objectively observed experience: atheists/no religion = bad / religion = good.

Of course, I hope some religious folk are surprised by the "normalcy" (whatever that is) of atheist behavior here but, I also suspect we often live up to the base end of their expectations. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
25-06-2014, 03:41 PM
I think our firm position of disbelief waters the seeds of doubt lingering in every theist's head.

Their presence here appears to me as an attempt to prove their devotion unto themselves but in truth only further exposes their wavering faith.

That, or they are complete dumb-shits who are beyond brainwashed.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
25-06-2014, 03:47 PM
(25-06-2014 03:41 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  I think our firm position of disbelief waters the seeds of doubt lingering in every theist's head.

Their presence here appears to me as an attempt to prove their devotion unto themselves but in truth only further exposes their wavering faith.

That, or they are complete dumb-shits who are beyond brainwashed.

Yeah, sounds about right. Thumbsup

Welcome to the forum!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-06-2014, 03:51 PM
I've been lurking for about a month or so. Once I get my feet wet ill post more often...I like it here.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post