Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-06-2014, 04:50 PM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
Am I the only one here who on reading the question of why they keep coming here thinks of that scene in Dawn of the Dead when they ask why the zombies keep returning to the shopping mall?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Mathilda's post
25-06-2014, 05:54 PM
(25-06-2014 04:50 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Am I the only one here who on reading the question of why they keep coming here thinks of that scene in Dawn of the Dead when they ask why the zombies keep returning to the shopping mall?

Theists are zombies...no wonder they are always crying for brains....poor things are starved Sad Sad Weeping
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Having had it drummed into my head by nuns that heathens are the worst of all people if they heard about god and didn't believe, I showed up here a bit scared, adrenalin high. Even though I deconverted and was an atheist all my teenage years and as adult, when I came here I felt trepidation. I felt like I was doing something very wrong. That is how strong indoctrination can be, after a long life as atheist I felt I was doing something very wrong when I came here. It was a feeling in my gut I had to consciously override.

I can only imagine how fearful people who haven't deconverted yet must feel. They may be here because they have some doubts, they may post the bible thingie they have specific doubts about to see what people would say. That's what I would have done. Test the water, see if people are really as horrible as described by the nuns.

And guess what? You are. You are every bit as prejudiced as the church people. You bite people's head off, no questions asked. Not all of you, but a good number, and more than it takes to make the doubting Thomas run for the hills.

Do you really have so much hatred for the religious that you deny them the path to freedom? How is that helping atheism?

The religious are not trolls by default, just like we are not without morals by default.

The forum was not designed to keep the religious out, it was designed to facilitate conversation among atheists and for atheists to converse with theists. It was designed to further atheism and support atheists. It should be helping doubting Thomases to cross over.

Instead, many believers are met by a lynch mob, off the bat, no questions asked.

So they run for the hills, back to their not so hostile church buddies, telling the tale of what happened when they tried to talk to atheists. How is that helping anyone? How is that helping us atheists? How is that helping yourself?

I know, I know, we all enjoy a forum toy. And there are a good number of theists who deserve to end up being one. And there are trolls who are not even religious, they just like to stir up shit. And there are theists you just can't help disliking.

But to say that all believers are trolls is way out of line, and not at all constructive. I hope very much that we can deal with theists on a more rational level.

So there, my rant. Have at me. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
25-06-2014, 06:41 PM
I have the question. Are theist trolls never banned from the site ? It's theist trolling ok in this site? This Jeremy wanker for example is trolling the site since over 3 months ago. Nobody will do something about it ?Consider
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
25-06-2014, 06:44 PM
They don't mean to come here, they should have taken a left in Albuquerque. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
25-06-2014, 06:45 PM
(25-06-2014 06:41 PM)Leo Wrote:  I have the question. Are theist trolls never banned from the site ? It's theist trolling ok in this site? This Jeremy wanker for example is trolling the site since over 3 months ago. Nobody will do something about it ?Consider

As long as they do not break one of the rules no they will not be banned.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
25-06-2014, 06:46 PM
(25-06-2014 06:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Having had it drummed into my head by nuns that heathens are the worst of all people if they heard about god and didn't believe, I showed up here a bit scared, adrenalin high. Even though I deconverted and was an atheist all my teenage years and as adult, when I came here I felt trepidation. I felt like I was doing something very wrong. That is how strong indoctrination can be, after a long life as atheist I felt I was doing something very wrong when I came here. It was a feeling in my gut I had to consciously override.

I can only imagine how fearful people who haven't deconverted yet must feel. They may be here because they have some doubts, they may post the bible thingie they have specific doubts about to see what people would say. That's what I would have done. Test the water, see if people are really as horrible as described by the nuns.

And guess what? You are. You are every bit as prejudiced as the church people. You bite people's head off, no questions asked. Not all of you, but a good number, and more than it takes to make the doubting Thomas run for the hills.

Do you really have so much hatred for the religious that you deny them the path to freedom? How is that helping atheism?

The religious are not trolls by default, just like we are not without morals by default.

The forum was not designed to keep the religious out, it was designed to facilitate conversation among atheists and for atheists to converse with theists. It was designed to further atheism and support atheists. It should be helping doubting Thomases to cross over.

Instead, many believers are met by a lynch mob, off the bat, no questions asked.

So they run for the hills, back to their not so hostile church buddies, telling the tale of what happened when they tried to talk to atheists. How is that helping anyone? How is that helping us atheists? How is that helping yourself?

I know, I know, we all enjoy a forum toy. And there are a good number of theists who deserve to end up being one. And there are trolls who are not even religious, they just like to stir up shit. And there are theists you just can't help disliking.

But to say that all believers are trolls is way out of line, and not at all constructive. I hope very much that we can deal with theists on a more rational level.

So there, my rant. Have at me. Tongue

Bah, humbug. Dodgy

Polite, reasonable, or curious ones are welcomed. The rest? They get what trolls deserve - our opprobrium. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-06-2014, 06:47 PM
(25-06-2014 06:45 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(25-06-2014 06:41 PM)Leo Wrote:  I have the question. Are theist trolls never banned from the site ? It's theist trolling ok in this site? This Jeremy wanker for example is trolling the site since over 3 months ago. Nobody will do something about it ?Consider

As long as they do not break one of the rules no they will not be banned.

Isn't being intentionally disruptive breaking a rule?
[+] 5 users Like pablo's post
25-06-2014, 06:49 PM
(25-06-2014 06:35 PM)Dom Wrote:  Having had it drummed into my head by nuns that heathens are the worst of all people if they heard about god and didn't believe, I showed up here a bit scared, adrenalin high. Even though I deconverted and was an atheist all my teenage years and as adult, when I came here I felt trepidation. I felt like I was doing something very wrong. That is how strong indoctrination can be, after a long life as atheist I felt I was doing something very wrong when I came here. It was a feeling in my gut I had to consciously override.

[Image: Scarecrow.jpg]

Quote:Do you really have so much hatred for the religious that you deny them the path to freedom? How is that helping atheism?

[Image: 3q3bvxxf-1353902236.jpg]

Quote:The forum was not designed to keep the religious out, it was designed to facilitate conversation among atheists and for atheists to converse with theists. It was designed to further atheism and support atheists. It should be helping doubting Thomases to cross over.

[Image: scarecrow-on-bale-of-hay.jpg]

Quote:So they run for the hills, back to their not so hostile church buddies, telling the tale of what happened when they tried to talk to atheists. How is that helping anyone? How is that helping us atheists? How is that helping yourself?

[Image: StrawMan.jpg]

Quote:I know, I know, we all enjoy a forum toy. And there are a good number of theists who deserve to end up being one. And there are trolls who are not even religious, they just like to stir up shit. And there are theists you just can't help disliking.

[Image: strawman1.jpg]

Quote:So there, my rant. Have at me. Tongue

[Image: the-Wicker-Man-6.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
25-06-2014, 06:53 PM
(25-06-2014 06:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Bah, humbug. Dodgy

Polite, reasonable, or curious ones are welcomed. The rest? They get what trolls deserve - our opprobrium. Drinking Beverage

Yup. Thumbsup

AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Dom will be spamming that same line of bullshit in yet another thread in 3....2....1.....

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop