Religious people, why do they come here?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2014, 01:00 AM
RE: Religious people, why do they come here?
A Christian conversion story would not "move" me to convert, UNLESS it had some pretty amazing supporting evidence for the Christian god coming with it. There would need to be more than just anecdotal appeals to emotion and feelings of the indwelling of the spirit (feelings which can have a number of natural explanations, by the way).

Remember, a good number of others here have their own Christian conversion stories, myself included.

Call me cold, but I like cold, hard evidence. There is a comfort there. A solidity, a surety. There is no condemnation for having a spirit of unbelief, because cold hard evidence does not require faith. I offend no god by asking the "wrong questions."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 13 users Like Charis's post
28-06-2014, 01:11 AM
(28-06-2014 01:00 AM)Charis Wrote:  A Christian conversion story would not "move" me to convert, UNLESS it had some pretty amazing supporting evidence for the Christian god coming with it. There would need to be more than just anecdotal appeals to emotion and feelings of the indwelling of the spirit (feelings which can have a number of natural explanations, by the way).

Remember, a good number of others here have their own Christian conversion stories, myself included.

Call me cold, but I like cold, hard evidence. There is a comfort there. A solidity, a surety. There is no condemnation for having a spirit of unbelief, because cold hard evidence does not require faith. I offend no god by asking the "wrong questions."

[Image: applause-o.gif?w=490][Image: applause-o.gif?w=490][Image: applause-o.gif?w=490][Image: applause-o.gif?w=490][Image: applause-o.gif?w=490][Image: applause-o.gif?w=490]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-06-2014, 01:17 AM
lol, aww shucks...
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
28-06-2014, 01:23 AM
(27-06-2014 05:08 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  Also would a christian conversion story move you into becoming christian.
Other peoples stories of personal credulity do not make me, nor should they make anyone else, more credulous themselves. The shear volume of religious stories that turn out to be, if you will pardon the language, bullshit make it hard for me to even listen to new stories as they invariably involve exact same foolishness. Confirmation bias, an inability to understand that correlation is not causation, a total lack of understanding how the brain works, and just the same collection of fallacies over and over and over. It gets dull to the point you almost stop humoring people with these stories all together, the only thing keeping the ability together is courtesy but even that wears thin eventually.

Everyone thinks they have the super special story and that if we could just experience it we would understand but by and large we already do. Poor education and credulity are a very troubling combination.
[+] 6 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
28-06-2014, 01:38 AM
(28-06-2014 01:00 AM)Charis Wrote:  A Christian conversion story would not "move" me to convert, UNLESS it had some pretty amazing supporting evidence for the Christian god coming with it. There would need to be more than just anecdotal appeals to emotion and feelings of the indwelling of the spirit (feelings which can have a number of natural explanations, by the way).....

...and Moar Dragon, too!

[Image: Fantasy-Dragon-dragons-27155090-2560-1600.jpg]

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
28-06-2014, 02:09 AM
(27-06-2014 08:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  ...
Oh, look, yet another strawman from the Whining Section.

There are 3 types of people in the world...

The pessimist, who thinks that the glass is half empty

The optimist, who thinks that the glass is half full

The Forum buffoon, who thinks that the glass of water is a straw man argument.

[+] 10 users Like DLJ's post
28-06-2014, 02:27 AM
May I please say something from a Christian perspective?

The personal testimony is often soooo important to the Christian, because it represents "THE Moment." That moment when, in their perspective, that person comes into a friendship with an unimaginably powerful being who, as they see it, loved them enough to sacrifice himself for them. To them, this is sometimes the most personal thing they could share with an unbeliever, ESPECIALLY "an Atheist."

It is often no small thing when they do this. If the person is not a troll, please treat them gently when they share their personal testimony. Don't hold back facts, of course, but please understand that this person is sharing a somewhat vulnerable part of themselves....
[+] 7 users Like Charis's post
28-06-2014, 02:37 AM
(28-06-2014 02:27 AM)Charis Wrote:  ...
a somewhat vulnerable part of themselves....

... or as Taq would call it... opening themselves up for a kick to the vitals.

Charis,
I think that most of us realise this.

It's why we are sometimes protective of those with whom we do not agree.

Actually, I am very heartened by this thread (and a few others) where this is being discussed. There are obviously many here who feel the same... have the same level of awareness.

Yes

*takes off Doc Martins while whistling an innocent tune*

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
28-06-2014, 02:48 AM
I do think Taq goes overboard sometimes. But there's another side to him.... Taq, I still say that if you showed that other side at the most unexpected moment, you would cause several heart-attacks.

And women would swoon. I kid you not.

(goes back to daydreaming of the Vosur effect...)
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
28-06-2014, 02:53 AM
(28-06-2014 02:48 AM)Charis Wrote:  ...
the Vosur effect...

... seriously over-rated, in my view

Girl_nails

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post