Religious people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2012, 07:58 PM
RE: Religious people
I hate when religious people are questioned about beliefs, bible, or you just have another viewpoint and they go ape-shit. After they calm down, then expect to be shunned.

Sometimes I post atheist/agnostic quotes on Facebook. Not the obvious, blunt quotes, but the ones that require some thought. This also causes them to go ape-shit. Numerous 2-3 paragraph comments start showing up. Normally I respond with one word responses like "delusional." But they continue to respond with 2-3 paragraphs. It's fun to waste their time.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2012, 08:06 PM
My issue is people trying to run the world according to their religion. My second problem is the indoctrination of children.

She said all a body would have to do there was to go around all day long with a harp and sing. So I didn't think much of it. But I never said so. I asked her if she reckoned Tom Sawyer would go there, and she said not by a considerable sight. I was glad about that, because I wanted him and me to be together. - Huck Finn.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like angela_means_fallen_angel's post
20-06-2012, 07:52 AM
(19-06-2012 12:13 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best.

What bothers you about religious people? (these do not apply to all religious people)

Is it that they believe in a supreme being

That some of them do not follow what they say they believe? (i.e. the guy holding the god hates fags sign)

Is it the way they think it makes them superior?

Some other reason?

I'm just curious, religion is one issue, but believers themselves cause a few issues as well.

edit:
specifically the larger religions that we have all come to knoow and love.
Thinking that by doing nothing (accepting Gawd*), they've accomplished something great that sets them apart from the rest of humanity. And entitles them to a free ticket to paradise.

*Accepting Gawd is nothing more than just going with the flow and not thinking for yourself (here in the USA).

I hate their ignorance in not doing even basic research into ancient religion, which easily demonstrates that everything they believe is mythology based on older mythologies.

I hate their televangelists fleecing the weak and gullible of society, which would be illegal in most countries.

I hate their influence on American politics, a cancerous growth that ensures that politics in the USA stays fucked up, illogical, counter-productive, and destructive.
[+] 2 users Like Blood's post
20-06-2012, 09:13 AM
(19-06-2012 12:13 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'll do my best.

What bothers you about religious people? (these do not apply to all religious people)

Is it that they believe in a supreme being

That some of them do not follow what they say they believe? (i.e. the guy holding the god hates fags sign)

Is it the way they think it makes them superior?

Some other reason?

I'm just curious, religion is one issue, but believers themselves cause a few issues as well.

edit:
specifically the larger religions that we have all come to knoow and love.
It is that they are delusional and ignore evidence, leaving them open to believe any kind of weird shit and be manipulated by others.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-06-2012, 10:37 AM
What bothers me the most...

What seriously pissed me off a while ago is that Denzel Washington called atheists sociopaths.
And this is after he made Book of Eli, a whole film about how a bible is the most important thing on the planet.

Asshole.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post
20-06-2012, 10:52 AM
What gets me is the thinking that their way is the only way. For example, a neighbor girl brought a Book of Mormon to my daughter and tells her that a man from another planet puts babies into peoples bellies. When I explain to my daughter that is not how babies are made, (she is 6, I didn't want to have that discussion yet), she talks about this with her mormon friend. I get a phone call because her mother doesn't want her child to hear about sex from my daughter. Really? You don't say? I should have sent diagrams from my biology text.

I am also bothered by the sympathetic sideways head tilt you get when people hear we are athiests.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes Spivey May's post
20-06-2012, 11:04 AM
(20-06-2012 10:52 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  What gets me is the thinking that their way is the only way. For example, a neighbor girl brought a Book of Mormon to my daughter and tells her that a man from another planet puts babies into peoples bellies. When I explain to my daughter that is not how babies are made, (she is 6, I didn't want to have that discussion yet), she talks about this with her mormon friend. I get a phone call because her mother doesn't want her child to hear about sex from my daughter. Really? You don't say? I should have sent diagrams from my biology text.

I am also bothered by the sympathetic sideways head tilt you get when people hear we are athiests.
"....and I don't want my daughter to hear about your silly beliefs from your child."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-06-2012, 11:42 AM
(20-06-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 10:52 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  What gets me is the thinking that their way is the only way. For example, a neighbor girl brought a Book of Mormon to my daughter and tells her that a man from another planet puts babies into peoples bellies. When I explain to my daughter that is not how babies are made, (she is 6, I didn't want to have that discussion yet), she talks about this with her mormon friend. I get a phone call because her mother doesn't want her child to hear about sex from my daughter. Really? You don't say? I should have sent diagrams from my biology text.

"....and I don't want my daughter to hear about your silly beliefs from your child."
I tried that, but it was different because it was religion, blah, blah, blah. Pretty sure missionaires will be on my doorstep to "save" my child soon. That should be fun.

20-06-2012, 12:39 PM
(20-06-2012 11:42 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 11:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  "....and I don't want my daughter to hear about your silly beliefs from your child."
I tried that, but it was different because it was religion, blah, blah, blah. Pretty sure missionaires will be on my doorstep to "save" my child soon. That should be fun.
Grrr. That's sick. Targeting children Angry I don't care if it's your own kid, if it's kids at church whose parents have given permission I'm fine with it, but unsolicited *fucking* evangelism of other people's kids... that's fucking criminal. Raaaaaaaa! Angry

edit: I should pay more attention. Didn't realise it was kiddy poo doing the evangelizin'. That I'd be OK with, if it was my kid. Kids believe crazy shit anyway. As long as it's not the parents with their infinitely more crafty brains planting the insidious crap that is religion...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
20-06-2012, 01:14 PM
(20-06-2012 12:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-06-2012 11:42 AM)Spivey May Wrote:  I tried that, but it was different because it was religion, blah, blah, blah. Pretty sure missionaires will be on my doorstep to "save" my child soon. That should be fun.
Grrr. That's sick. Targeting children Angry I don't care if it's your own kid, if it's kids at church whose parents have given permission I'm fine with it, but unsolicited *fucking* evangelism of other people's kids... that's fucking criminal. Raaaaaaaa! Angry

edit: I should pay more attention. Didn't realise it was kiddy poo doing the evangelizin'. That I'd be OK with, if it was my kid. Kids believe crazy shit anyway. As long as it's not the parents with their infinitely more crafty brains planting the insidious crap that is religion...
I think it was parents using their kids. What 7 year old decides to give out a Book of Mormon on their own? I have a hard time with the sneaky evanglizin'.

[+] 1 user Likes Spivey May's post