Religious profanity in other religions/cultures?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Question Religious profanity in other religions/cultures?
If you're an english speaker, most likely you've been influenced by Christian culture. And so your religious profanity most likely deals with "God" or "Jesus Christ"

Jesus EXPLETIVE Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus H Christ, Goddamnit, God EXPLETIVE damnit, etc.

My question is, what's the common religious profanity in other religious cultures? I'm sure most translated are just "god damn it" or "gods damn it", but what about for their own prophets/saviors?

Do Muslim cultures in addition to saying "god damn it" say something like "By Muhammad's beard!"

Or is religious profanity unique to Christian cultures?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
02-01-2014, 06:31 PM
RE: Religious profanity in other religions/cultures?
(02-01-2014 06:26 PM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  If you're an english speaker, most likely you've been influenced by Christian culture. And so your religious profanity most likely deals with "God" or "Jesus Christ"

Jesus EXPLETIVE Christ, Jesus Christ, Jesus H Christ, Goddamnit, God EXPLETIVE damnit, etc.

My question is, what's the common religious profanity in other religious cultures? I'm sure most translated are just "god damn it" or "gods damn it", but what about for their own prophets/saviors?

Do Muslim cultures in addition to saying "god damn it" say something like "By Muhammad's beard!"

Or is religious profanity unique to Christian cultures?

I've always been curious what the H stands for in Jesus H Christ? Smile

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
02-01-2014, 06:34 PM
(02-01-2014 06:31 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I've always been curious what the H stands for in Jesus H Christ? Smile

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
02-01-2014, 06:36 PM
(02-01-2014 06:34 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-01-2014 06:31 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I've always been curious what the H stands for in Jesus H Christ? Smile

Hahaha! That's EPIC! Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
02-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Well Buddha me...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Hairy fucking krishna!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-01-2014, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 08:25 PM by Heathen.)
Here is a list of what in Quebec are the absolute most foul and horrible words that you could possible use. For those that may not know, Quebec is almost entirely Roman Catholic. Much like the bible belt in the US, there seems to be a church nearly every few blocks. Support is waning however it is still very much a part of the culture. As will be obvious, it is the context in which these words are used that makes all the difference. A Qubecois who is really pissed off will scream out a list of 5 or more of these words. What is interesting is that many of them can be used as a noun, adjective or as a verb. The flair and intensity of the delivery and the careful pronunciation and punctuation serve to elevate the sacre. It really is something amazing to hear!

baptême – "baptism"
calisse (calice) – "chalice"
calvaire – "Calvary"
ciarge (cierge) – "votive or Paschal candle"
ciboire – "ciborium" or "pyx", receptacles in which the host is stored
criss (Christ) – "Christ"
maudit – "damn"
osti (hostie) – "host"
sacrament (sacrement) – "Sacrament"
simonaque (simonaque) – from the sin of simony
tabarnack (tabernacle) – "tabernacle"
viarge (vierge) – "the Virgin Mary"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French_profanity

I searched around to find an article to explain it and this one is pretty good. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/con...01286.html

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Heathen's post
02-01-2014, 08:25 PM
On a related note, two weeks ago, I about spit laughing at the Penny Arcade where Gabe loses it and starts getting creative with taking God's name in vain.

"And... fuck! Jesus! God! MARY. And LORD! On high! Fucking... Emmanuel! Saints! GAH!"

That "Emmanuel" part is what got me. I'm working that into my lexicon.
[+] 3 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Allah is an almost inescapable part of the language but not really what you'd call an expletive. Phrases like insh'allah - literally "god willing" - in practice this is like the Spanish mañana but without the sense of urgency. Or Mash'allah which is like... Wh00t!

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
[+] 1 user Likes daylightisabadthing's post
03-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Here it's common to say "jebo te bog " literally it translates as "god fuck(ed) you" , google translates it as "holly shit" which is a correct meaning of the expression in the sense that it's used.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's