Religious snobbery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-10-2011, 02:14 PM
Religious snobbery
This is a sister thread to the Intellectual Snobbery thread. What are some of the snobbish ways that you've seen or heard religious people act? This news story about fundies interrupting a Hindu prayer in the US senate is a good example. Here is the video:

Granted, I don't think prayer should be said at all in the senate, but I found the behavior of the fundies to be extremely disrespectful. What are some other examples?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2011, 03:02 PM
RE: Religious snobbery
This isn't snobbery; this is intolerance. Common enough, gods know!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
01-10-2011, 03:50 PM
(01-10-2011 03:02 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  This isn't snobbery; this is intolerance. Common enough, gods know!
It fits the definition of snobbery:

"a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field."

The fundies know their religion is the true religion and look down on those who do not hold the same views.
04-10-2011, 04:41 AM
They allowed this kind of behavior in the Senate without throwing these people out? Why, where is the diplomacy here? Assholes...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
04-10-2011, 09:48 AM
This makes me sad to be a citizen of the US.

Oh, but now I can hear in the background, "If you don't like it, then why don't you just leave?".

Because I care about it enough to stay here and fight for freedom all over again. I'm going to piss on you fundamental idiots till you drown in your intolerance... and my piss.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
05-10-2011, 05:46 AM
You would expect more from people in SENATE. It's not like this happened in some high-school, or some random gathering, this is SENATE (not Sparta), they are supposed to be diplomats, well educated people who are running a country, and they can't shut the fuck up for one minute to let the FOREIGN person speak in front of them? This is close to a diplomatic incident, if I were a Chairman (or whatever the name for the 1. man of the Senate is) I would first throw them out, then I would think about the penalty, but if you can not respect foreign diplomacy, then you don't need to be in the Senate.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
05-10-2011, 11:08 AM
You americans should really get your fundies under better control. Aren't there leash laws? Just kidding just kidding.
Seriously though, how did those people even get in?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM
I hesitated to hit play on that video and when I finally did, I didn't make it through the first 30 seconds. Uhg. Just Uhg. Intolerant, ignorant, arrogant, possibly racist, disgusting behaviour.

Imagine the outrage and potential for physical violence if we engaged in that type of behaviour about the FSM during a fundie church service or a prayer given at a public gathering. For a self proclaimed christian nation, there seems to be a definite lack of civil christian behaviour.

/rant
Trevor

Keep living your life. It's the only one you have.
05-10-2011, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011 02:56 PM by defacto7.)
(05-10-2011 11:22 AM)coyoteran Wrote:  I hesitated to hit play on that video and when I finally did, I didn't make it through the first 30 seconds. Uhg. Just Uhg. Intolerant, ignorant, arrogant, possibly racist, disgusting behaviour.

Imagine the outrage and potential for physical violence if we engaged in that type of behaviour about the FSM during a fundie church service or a prayer given at a public gathering. For a self proclaimed christian nation, there seems to be a definite lack of civil christian behaviour.

/rant
Trevor

I don't have time to look it up, but look at what happened in the Hawaii house when 1 atheist spoke up against prayer. It's news from last year I think. It's also on youtube.

EDIT: I found it..
http://www.disinfo.com/2010/12/atheist-s...yer-video/

Who can turn skies back and begin again?