Religious story idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Religious story idea
I enjoy writing stories and I've had this idea bouncing around in my head for awhile and I've finally decided to buckle down and write it. I was on hiatus for awhile because my last story, which I had put a lot of effort into, was lost in a single day cause I lost the usb that it was on. Lesson learned; back up your shit lol

Anyway, the basic idea boils down to this. All this time, it's really been Satan impersonating God. There are a lot of things I need to work out, such as when this switch actually happened and what it all means, etc. etc. but I've always thought it was an interesting idea since Satan is the one who gave humans the ability to think for themselves and God was the one who wanted us to remain ignorant. Which I guess we still are if most people take the Bible as literal.

Augh, I'm getting off topic. What I wanted to ask was what is Satan's real name? I've heard that it's Lucifer but then I've also heard that it's not that and I figured I would pose the question here. Any comments on the story would be welcome too. Or questions or suggestions or.. anything. Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM

RE: Religious story idea
I'm not quite sure as to whether you are approaching this from a theistic or atheistic perspective. Lucifer is his real name,a s far as I know, but I don't quite understand where you are going with this story (it would largely depend on your perspective). Is it supposed to be a satire?
09-11-2010, 07:30 PM

It's more from a religious perspective, I suppose, cause it assumes that God is real and all of that. But it goes beyond what most religious people believe and takes into account all of the horrible deeds God has committed, as written in the bible.
And the story idea has just changed in the past few minutes lol

Here are my notes on it, if you care to read them.

"Lucifer was cast down from Heaven because he rebelled against God. Why? Because he advocated for free will and did not want to bow down to God or his son. Compared to historical events on Earth, this is not much different than, say, Americans rebelling against Britain. They did not want to bow down to Britain so they fought for their freedom. They succeeded and it led to the creation of a new country under new rules based on the freedom of man. How is this different from what Lucifer wanted? He did not want to bow down to anyone and instead sought liberation. Where it differs, though, is that Lucifer failed and was cast down and tried to, apparently, destroy mankind, God’s creations. "

As I was writing it I was sort of reminded of Gregory Maguire's Wicked, which takes a unique spin on The Wizard of Oz by telling the story from the Wicked Witch of the West's point of view.

Does this all make any sense?
09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, it does. In fact, I've had a similar idea, though it was sparked by watching the movie Legion.

When I first saw the previews for the movie, I was convinced that the character who turned out to be Michael the archangel was actually going to be Satan, standing up for humanity in the face of God's desire to wipe them all out. I was mightily disappointed when it turned out that it wasn't. Satan didn't even get a passing mention.

I don't know what you mean by "Satan has been impersonating God", but I think that Satan's character holds a lot of potential as a force for good if written well. I look forward to seeing the finished product, if it ever gets that far.

Keep us posted!

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2010, 09:08 PM

i as well would love to look into that, ^_^
09-11-2010, 09:57 PM
I've actually heard atheists pose this question to Christians before. "How do you know the God of the bible isn't actually the devil tempting man to behave badly?" The theme is kind of there in the Last Temptation of Christ, The Devil's Advocate and others.

As for what is the devil's real name, in Jewish mythology and lure, there is no Satan. The biblical concept of the devil as fallen angel is from non-biblical sources. Lucifer means Light-bearer - I think. Satan is also not a proper name. Ultimately, trying to make one unified narrative about Satan's history would involve numerous irreconcilable traditions. It's kind of like trying to make one unified biography of Father Christmas and explaining away the names Santa Clause, Cris Kringle, Saint Nick and all the others.
Find all posts by this user
09-11-2010, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I realized that as I started reading more information about the creation of the world according to the Bible. I never heard that it was God's Plan of Salvation to place humans on the world, then condemn them, and then use one of his angels to forgive us. Or, as it was in the article, his three step process of The Creation, The Fall of Adam, and The Atonement. What an ass. But we already knew that.

I don't know how long it will take me to write this, but I'm really excited about it so I don't see me giving up or loosing interest in this.
10-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I'd done a bit of research when I was a fundie, and I eventually found out that the Christian idea of Satan came from the tempter angel Samael. You might argue that that would be Satan's original name.

I look forward to seeing what comes out of this! Big Grin

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2010, 01:27 AM

Oh thank you for that bit of info : )
I'll probably stick with the name Lucifer, simply because so many people seem to identify it with Satan, but I now have plans for a partner named Samael who helps Lucifer :3

If anyone else has interesting tidbits I'd love to hear them.
10-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Here is a site that traces the character of satan through it's pre-christian origins. The site is owned by an ex-christian of the devout kind.

http://www.darrellwconder.com/satanlie.html
Find all posts by this user