Religious story idea

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-11-2010, 09:08 PM

RE: Religious story idea
Oh thank you : ) That will be very interesting to read this weekend.

I've been thinking about how to present the story and I think I've finally decided on how to go about it. I drew inspiration from this historical fantasy book where the characters are reincarnated in different ages of London. Such as, before London was built, in the monarchy years, etc. and eventually it ended with them in present day London.
I was thinking something similar mostly in the context of going through different ages. Lucifer cast down to Hell in the beginning of the world, then just sort of going throughout the world's history, pinpointing certain key moments. I was thinking the World Wars I and II but more research is required before I settle on anything, obviously. I mean, that's just recent history.

Any suggestions/comments?
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2010, 09:44 PM
I would go with World War II over World War I, simply because more people will understand the historical references. Most people know very little of WWI compared to WWII.

Other points to look at would be the American Civil War, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Black Plague, and the fall of Rome. I'm not very familiar with Asian history, though; maybe someone else can come up with ideas for that side of the globe.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2010, 04:54 AM

So, after reading the article No J. posted I've come to a sort of halt. I agree with what the article concluded with.
Quote:I see no logic in God creating a wondrous planet, crowning it with his majesty and glory, creating men and women in his image to "dress and keep" his creation, and then unleashing the diabolical being painted by Christianity to work full time in an effort to destroy everything he had built. It would be like a man or woman planning, building and laboring on a successful business and then hiring their worst enemy to work full time to destroy it all.

So that really only leaves the idea, for my story, anyway, that Lucifer is manipulated by God. Which is what I was leaning towards anyway. But I think it may cause problems in the future.
But I think God knowing everything about the Earth and its future is kind of preposterous. I could see it as one possible future, but certainly not the only future. Lucifer would see this too and would try to take steps to create someone that is outside of God's plan, thus throwing it all off. So I suppose what I'm getting at would be that Satan has his own lineage on Earth.
or.. I don't know... how do you out-manipulate and evil SOB like God? Undecided
14-11-2010, 11:04 AM
(14-11-2010 04:54 AM)Zenith Wrote:  But I think God knowing everything about the Earth and its future is kind of preposterous. I could see it as one possible future, but certainly not the only future. Lucifer would see this too and would try to take steps to create someone that is outside of God's plan, thus throwing it all off.

Well, if you're going to write a good story, you're going to have to take creative liberties with what the Bible - and its believers - say God is like. If he is truly omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent, then there's no point in writing the story, as the ending is a foregone conclusion.
So make him smart and powerful, but not omniscient and omnipotent. Make him someone who has caused humans to believe that he is omniscient and omnipotent despite the fact that he is not. Make him a talented chess player rather than someone who can see the future - he can plan several moves ahead, but the plan isn't perfect, and it can be altered.

It's like Kasparov. I sure as hell couldn't beat him, because he'd probably see everything I was going to do a week before I did it, but someone who was good enough at the game could play on his level, and even out-maneuver him.

- Terry Pratchett
14-11-2010, 03:57 PM
(14-11-2010 04:54 AM)Zenith Wrote:  So, after reading the article No J. posted I've come to a sort of halt.

OOOOOOPPPPSSSS!!!!!!
Find all posts by this user
14-11-2010, 07:26 PM

^lol

@unbeliever: I constantly need to remind myself when writing that I don't have to stick to every fact there is ._. It's one of my obstacles as a writer.
14-11-2010, 09:37 PM
(14-11-2010 07:26 PM)Zenith Wrote:  ^lol

@unbeliever: I constantly need to remind myself when writing that I don't have to stick to every fact there is ._. It's one of my obstacles as a writer.

Yeah, I know. I have that same issue when I'm writing scenarios for my RPGs. Like the latest All Flesh Must Be Eaten scenario, which involved the players being cloned, memories and all, from nothing but a blood sample. I spent forever trying to think of a plot device that would explain the memories being present. Then I remembered that no one cares. It's All Flesh Must Be Eaten. They're aren't playing for accurate science, they're playing because they want to shoot zombies.

That's what you need to remember. People aren't going to read this because they want to read the Bible. They're reading it because they want a good story.

- Terry Pratchett
14-11-2010, 11:00 PM
(14-11-2010 07:26 PM)Zenith Wrote:  I constantly need to remind myself when writing that I don't have to stick to every fact there is ._. It's one of my obstacles as a writer.

Just watch a few Hollywood movies and note how they avoid facts like a plague. Especially the action (or should they be called too much action) movies. In fact some leave reality behind faster than a jackrabbit on speed leaves a snail behind.
Find all posts by this user