Religious vs. secular hospital

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Religious vs. secular hospital
I was taken by surprise last night watching the local news.

They were interviewing the head of a hospital that had just added a new wing.

What got my attention is this:

"We are a secular hospital. We accept patients for all services, including abortions and death with dignity patients".

This is the first time ever I have seen anyone proudly pointing out that they are secular on mainstream TV. I also hadn't considered that religion based hospitals would refuse "Death with Dignity" patients.

For those who don't know, the Death with Dignity act allows doctors to prescribe a lethal dose of drugs to patents who have a terminal disease with no chance of recovery. The patient then has the option to take the pills or not, anytime they please. Actually, most who have the prescription end up not taking the pills. But it is a way out of intolerable suffering for terminal patients if they so choose.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Religious vs. secular hospital/Death with Dignity
Lol, no replies.

I would think that if it's the law of the land, they should all accept patients with that issue.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
16-11-2012, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 16-11-2012 12:50 PM by Vera.)
RE: Religious vs. secular hospital
I would think that all hospitals are secular. Otherwise they won't be hospitals but places for the practice of Christian science (that's oxymoronic beyond belief) and prayer (and for the latter a church would do as well).

How's that for religion intervening in science http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Or that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19797634 for death with dignity.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-11-2012, 01:31 PM
(16-11-2012 12:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  I would think that all hospitals are secular. Otherwise they won't be hospitals but places for the practice of Christian science (that's oxymoronic beyond belief) and prayer (and for the latter a church would do as well).

How's that for religion intervening in science http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Or that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19797634 for death with dignity.

Well, we have 5 Hospitals in a 100 mile radius, and 4 of these are religious. They are operated by religious institutions, have ministers and priests all over the place etc. The religious institutions do fund a lot of treatments of people who can't afford it, so they attract all kinds of people.

Death with dignity is the law here. The people voted it to be so, and it's on the books. So in my opinion, it should be made available whether the hospital is run by god himself or whoever, it makes no difference. It's like when you enter these religious hospitals you suddenly have to abide by their moral code and not the law. At the very least they should inform you when you get there that they refuse to practice all medicine according to the law.

16-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Not all are. The area where I grew up had a lot of Catholic run hospitals that were started out with the Sisters of Mercy and the like.
You CANNOT even have your tubes tied in those hospitals because it is against Catholic doctrine. However, you can give birth, leave to go to another clinic or the doctor's office to have a tubal, and then return to your hospital bed for after care.
Crazy stuff!

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-11-2012, 02:01 PM
You guys never see to amaze me. I honestly had no idea religion was so closely integrated with just about every aspect of life over there.

And the notion of a religious hospital is just sick. Inherently wrong. And if it was a Roman Catholic hospital then what, would they refuse to treat people with AIDS, because it's a punishment (actually, what they called it was ever more horrific but it kind of escapes my memory now and it's nearly impossible to find it on the Internet... I wonder why).

Makes me incredibly said that to this day so many people have to live with unbearable pain and often indignity (or at least what may be seen as indignity by them), because it's "all part of god's plan and you can't fight it." We put our pets to sleep, because we cannot bear to watch them suffer, yet people must endure unimaginable lives, because "life is sacred" and "you belong to god, not to yourself".

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
16-11-2012, 04:26 PM
(16-11-2012 02:01 PM)Vera Wrote:  You guys never see to amaze me. I honestly had no idea religion was so closely integrated with just about every aspect of life over there.

And the notion of a religious hospital is just sick. Inherently wrong. And if it was a Roman Catholic hospital then what, would they refuse to treat people with AIDS, because it's a punishment (actually, what they called it was ever more horrific but it kind of escapes my memory now and it's nearly impossible to find it on the Internet... I wonder why).

Makes me incredibly said that to this day so many people have to live with unbearable pain and often indignity (or at least what may be seen as indignity by them), because it's "all part of god's plan and you can't fight it." We put our pets to sleep, because we cannot bear to watch them suffer, yet people must endure unimaginable lives, because "life is sacred" and "you belong to god, not to yourself".

I actually doubt they treat people with aids.

I think the death with dignity act is great, it leaves it totally up to the sick person. Not allowing it shows a total lack of empathy.

16-11-2012, 04:36 PM
It's everywhere...46% of people here BELIEVE in evolution...are you kidding me? Good grief.
And even Seth posted on FB about a young guy convicted of DUI, given probation for 10 years and part of that probabtion is to attend church...that's right folks, he is being legally forced to attend church to avoid having to serve his time in prison.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
16-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Quote:I actually doubt they treat people with aids.

You can't be serious!
Quote:I think the death with dignity act is great, it leaves it totally up to the sick person. Not allowing it shows a total lack of empathy.
It is even worse, it many cases it's downright cruelty. And to those who are physically incapable of killing themselves, other options must be provided. This is the ultimate freedom we have, the most undeniable right - to die.

[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
16-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Nice they actually brought up that point, yeah.

However, in a lot of cases NOT involving dying or abortion, I don't think there is a lot of difference in the inpatient experience. I ended up at a Catholic hospital a few years ago because it was closest to where I was. The only difference in my care was that they asked if I'd like some nuns to stop by. I politely declined. But then, I was in a non-religious hospital 2 different times after that, and they also asked if I'd like clergy to stop in. Again, I declined.

But in cases of abortion and death with dignity, I think it's fucking awful that some hospitals are against it. People shouldn't have to suffer or be refused case for other people's beliefs. Same thing goes for pharmacists who deny birth control or plan B to customers, I think that's fucking awful. If I wanted birth control and a pharmacist told me to fuck off, BC is against their beliefs, I'd be in jail for punching that person in the face, seriously.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user