Religious vs. secular hospital

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2012, 02:23 AM
RE: Religious vs. secular hospital
(16-11-2012 09:08 PM)amyb Wrote:  Nice they actually brought up that point, yeah.

However, in a lot of cases NOT involving dying or abortion, I don't think there is a lot of difference in the inpatient experience. I ended up at a Catholic hospital a few years ago because it was closest to where I was. The only difference in my care was that they asked if I'd like some nuns to stop by. I politely declined. But then, I was in a non-religious hospital 2 different times after that, and they also asked if I'd like clergy to stop in. Again, I declined.

But in cases of abortion and death with dignity, I think it's fucking awful that some hospitals are against it. People shouldn't have to suffer or be refused case for other people's beliefs. Same thing goes for pharmacists who deny birth control or plan B to customers, I think that's fucking awful. If I wanted birth control and a pharmacist told me to fuck off, BC is against their beliefs, I'd be in jail for punching that person in the face, seriously.

I hate to defend religious idiots however, I have no problem with them denying birth control products. If they don't want profit from that, I am sure it is easy to find someone who does. As far as death with dignity, it should be legal everywhere and forced on religious hospitals. On the bright side most people including the religious idiots get to experience the pain of hospitals trying to keep you alive when you are so old that continuing to live hurts terribly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-11-2012, 08:31 AM
(18-11-2012 02:23 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 09:08 PM)amyb Wrote:  Nice they actually brought up that point, yeah.

However, in a lot of cases NOT involving dying or abortion, I don't think there is a lot of difference in the inpatient experience. I ended up at a Catholic hospital a few years ago because it was closest to where I was. The only difference in my care was that they asked if I'd like some nuns to stop by. I politely declined. But then, I was in a non-religious hospital 2 different times after that, and they also asked if I'd like clergy to stop in. Again, I declined.

But in cases of abortion and death with dignity, I think it's fucking awful that some hospitals are against it. People shouldn't have to suffer or be refused case for other people's beliefs. Same thing goes for pharmacists who deny birth control or plan B to customers, I think that's fucking awful. If I wanted birth control and a pharmacist told me to fuck off, BC is against their beliefs, I'd be in jail for punching that person in the face, seriously.

I hate to defend religious idiots however, I have no problem with them denying birth control products. If they don't want profit from that, I am sure it is easy to find someone who does. As far as death with dignity, it should be legal everywhere and forced on religious hospitals. On the bright side most people including the religious idiots get to experience the pain of hospitals trying to keep you alive when you are so old that continuing to live hurts terribly.
Nope, can't agree with you. If you are in the healthcare business, you must provide healthcare.
If not, get the fuck out of the business.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-11-2012, 09:24 PM
(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nope, can't agree with you. If you are in the healthcare business, you must provide healthcare.
Fuck yes. If you don't want to provide healthcare to people, you should not be working in the health care business. It's their job, they weren't hired to force their religious beliefs on their customers. I mean, it's like if I walk into a deli and the guy working there is Jewish and decides he won't sell me pork products because HIS religion says not to eat them, even though they sell pork and it's advertised in the window. (well, except much greater consequences than in this example.) I don't have to live by his religious beliefs, just like I don't want to live by the pharmacist's.

And you don't know how hard it'll be to find one that'll sell if one won't, it might depend on if you're in a religious area or not. Maybe you live in the middle of nowhere and can only make it to one pharmacy easily, then you're gonna want the product you ask for.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
22-11-2012, 02:04 AM
(20-11-2012 09:24 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(18-11-2012 08:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  Nope, can't agree with you. If you are in the healthcare business, you must provide healthcare.
Fuck yes. If you don't want to provide healthcare to people, you should not be working in the health care business. It's their job, they weren't hired to force their religious beliefs on their customers. I mean, it's like if I walk into a deli and the guy working there is Jewish and decides he won't sell me pork products because HIS religion says not to eat them, even though they sell pork and it's advertised in the window. (well, except much greater consequences than in this example.) I don't have to live by his religious beliefs, just like I don't want to live by the pharmacist's.

And you don't know how hard it'll be to find one that'll sell if one won't, it might depend on if you're in a religious area or not. Maybe you live in the middle of nowhere and can only make it to one pharmacy easily, then you're gonna want the product you ask for.

Then why not go with the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing? If the store carries the product and just won't sell it, you could contact the manufacturer of the product and explain the situation. They will have the money and time to bring legal action against the places that won't sell it and force them to. It is worth a try I would think, even though the manufacturer is not your enemy or your ally. It just works to pit them against the religious idiots.
23-11-2012, 09:56 PM
(22-11-2012 02:04 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Then why not go with the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" thing? If the store carries the product and just won't sell it, you could contact the manufacturer of the product and explain the situation. They will have the money and time to bring legal action against the places that won't sell it and force them to. It is worth a try I would think, even though the manufacturer is not your enemy or your ally. It just works to pit them against the religious idiots.
I imagine somebody, somewhere already tried this, and I also imagine that no one will touch the situation with a 10 foot pole because no one wants to hurt anyone's "religious feelings." I haven't looked it up, I'm just guessing on this. As for hospitals, I imagine if they're religious hospitals they're probably allowed to make up their own rules on things.

I've never needed Plan B, thank Dawg, and I've also never been in the hospital for anything that anyone's religious views would say anything about. And I hope it stays that way. I would freak the fuck out if I was refused a service/product that a place was supposed to offer. Silly religious views are fine in the privacy of their own homes, but when it starts affecting my life, or the lives of people I care about, that's really not cool.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
23-11-2012, 10:15 PM
(16-11-2012 12:46 PM)Vera Wrote:  I would think that all hospitals are secular. Otherwise they won't be hospitals but places for the practice of Christian science (that's oxymoronic beyond belief) and prayer (and for the latter a church would do as well).

How's that for religion intervening in science http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-20321741

Or that http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-19797634 for death with dignity.

This.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
24-11-2012, 06:48 AM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story...=126985072

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/05/...-abortion/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/11...05937.html

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2011/01/a...itals.html

About 1 in 7 hospital admissions in this country are in Catholic hospitals, and many, especially in rural areas, so not have an alternative. Some rural areas only have one hospital for hundreds of miles. If a woman needs a pregnancy termination, event to save the mother, or if a woman is raped and needs emergency contraception, they may be SOL. Go to the local pharmacy to get emergency contraception? Sure, unless your pharmacist thinks they are sinful, in which case he/she may not fill the prescription. And again, if you are in a remote area, you may be SOL if you don't have transportation.
[+] 1 user Likes tikidoc's post