Religon/Spirituality good for kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2015, 08:58 AM
Religon/Spirituality good for kids?
My cousin posted a topic on Facebook from a Canadian Magazine called Macleans. It does reporting on politics, pop culture, and current events. The article claims that there is research that says kids are happier when raised with religion and/or spirituality. So, I present to you the article and I'd love to hear what people think.
Macleans Article
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2015, 09:10 AM
RE: Religon/Spirituality good for kids?
They don't seem to define just what they mean by non-religious spirituality. Overall it looks to me like it supports the idea that people do better when they have a supportive community available, which makes a great deal of sense, and says absolutely nothing about whether there is any truth behind the religious beliefs.

The question of whether a delusion can be useful is quite different from the question of whether or not it is actually a delusion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
01-04-2015, 09:55 AM
I can see how believing in gods might make a person happier. When the creator of the universe has you in mind, self importance seems inevitable.
I certainly enjoyed Christmas more when I believed in Santa Claus. Now that I'm a reasonably adjusted adult I find Fairie Tales to be useless.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
01-04-2015, 10:22 AM
I find that actual knowledge fills the awe and wonder gaps just fine, and empathy and philosophy cover the morality gap just fine also.

Source: Father of two pre-teen children

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Anecdotally, every time I see kids raised religiously, they always tell them all the positive, flowery parts, and gloss over the creepy, violent parts.

Ethical issues aside, I'm curious how a third group of kids would fare, who were told all of the aspects of their religion.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
So Lisa Miller has a book coming out that claims that there is a link between spirituality and health. That spiritual kids are 40% less likely to use drugs, 60% less likely to be depressed, and 80% less likely to have unprotected or dangerous sex. Searching pubmed, I see she has several peer reviewed articles along these same lines. For example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22959684
It is interesting that the conclusion for this particular study is: "Frequent religious attendance may protect against major depression, independent from the effects of social adjustment. " Note the "may". This makes me wonder if some liberties are being taken with the book.

Another thought... the "60% less likely, 40% less likely, 80% less likely" way of representing data, can make data look much better than it may in actuality be. For example, if the rate of depression in adolescents who didn't go to church was let's say 8%, then if you made 100 kids go to church, then 4.8 (60% of 8%) of them would not get depression. So in essence you would have to subject the 92 kids who would otherwise not been depressed to Sundays full of fairy tales and myths to help 4.8 kids. This is why I would like to see some real numbers instead of the "60% less likely..."

Any psychologists/psychiatrists out there that can shed a more informed light on this?
[+] 4 users Like Iñigo's post
01-04-2015, 01:15 PM
I've taught my kids to question religion. They know dad is an atheist but I don't tell them what they should believe. My youngest is obviously very impressionable with religious stuff but I hold out hope that I can keep getting her to question things. My oldest has no problems telling her religious friends she doesn't believe in god but she believe in reincarnation so I can't win them all. I think she just has a hard time wrapping her head around death. But that's ok, as long as she keeps questioning as well.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
01-04-2015, 01:35 PM
I don't think it's good for kids. Kids typically want to please their parents as I once did, and so they have little choice than to go along with the indoctrination. Moons later as adults, they come to the realization that religion is a farce, and it's hard to break free from that farce...even when you realize it is one. Sad

Be true to yourself. Heart
01-04-2015, 09:29 PM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015 09:39 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
No. But if ignorance is bliss, that would explain a lot.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
02-04-2015, 02:19 AM
Wtf is spirituality?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.