Religon/Spirituality good for kids?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 04:07 AM
RE: Religon/Spirituality good for kids?
(02-04-2015 02:19 AM)Alex K Wrote:  Wtf is spirituality?

I dno but I'm pretty sure feeding my children with tabs of LSD would put them under the category of spiritual upbringing rather than non-spiritual. I'll cite this article in court.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 08:03 AM
(01-04-2015 11:40 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  So Lisa Miller has a book coming out that claims that there is a link between spirituality and health. That spiritual kids are 40% less likely to use drugs, 60% less likely to be depressed, and 80% less likely to have unprotected or dangerous sex. Searching pubmed, I see she has several peer reviewed articles along these same lines. For example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22959684
It is interesting that the conclusion for this particular study is: "Frequent religious attendance may protect against major depression, independent from the effects of social adjustment. " Note the "may". This makes me wonder if some liberties are being taken with the book.

Another thought... the "60% less likely, 40% less likely, 80% less likely" way of representing data, can make data look much better than it may in actuality be. For example, if the rate of depression in adolescents who didn't go to church was let's say 8%, then if you made 100 kids go to church, then 4.8 (60% of 8%) of them would not get depression. So in essence you would have to subject the 92 kids who would otherwise not been depressed to Sundays full of fairy tales and myths to help 4.8 kids. This is why I would like to see some real numbers instead of the "60% less likely..."

Any psychologists/psychiatrists out there that can shed a more informed light on this?

I don't know much about most of this but as a person raised as a Catholic I can assure you that "spiritually" does not decrease the likelihood of unprotected sex.
Not that you weren't aware of this....
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
03-04-2015, 05:48 AM
Does spirituality reduce incidence, or does it reduce reporting?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
03-04-2015, 06:21 AM
How could it possibly be good to teach kids stuff that simply isn't true?

Answer - it can't be.

Religion is, as it always was, and always will be -- the answer to the questions of a failed human being who can't grapple with reality.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post