Religulous (with Bill Maher)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2012, 01:01 AM
Religulous (with Bill Maher)
A thought provoking documentary about the problem of religion with comedian Bill Maher.
I really liked it and hope you do too Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like aurora's post
06-05-2012, 01:43 AM
RE: Religulous (with Bill Maher)
Great documentary.

Bill Maher is easily the best comedian alive today.
06-05-2012, 03:15 AM
I loved this documentary but I am disturbed at the part when he claims the story of Jesus isn't original. Which of course it isn't.

But the claims of all the similarities between Jesus and the prior gods (and/or objects of worship) in the Mediterranean seemed exaggerated.

Am I wrong here?

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
06-05-2012, 03:47 AM
No, not really, similar convincing comparisons were made by both Zeitgeist and Penn & Teller.

Maher's show Real Time isn't as good as it used to be though.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
06-05-2012, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 04:24 AM by kim.)
(06-05-2012 03:15 AM)Atheist Chiefs fan! Wrote:  I loved this documentary but I am disturbed at the part when he claims the story of Jesus isn't original. Which of course it isn't.

But the claims of all the similarities between Jesus and the prior gods (and/or objects of worship) in the Mediterranean seemed exaggerated.

Am I wrong here?
Yes, you are wrong. Tongue

There were a bunch of guys that may have been bundled up and glommed onto this Jesus character. My favorite was Mithras... I think there's a couple of wikipedias about him, and forum member Mark Fulton has a great blog spot on him.
(it's 5am for me and I'm just too tired to link -sorry.)

Anyway, for several hundred years before, during, and after Jesus' time, monotheism was starting to become the accepted "standard", so everyone was trying out their own ONE God.

Persians, Zoroastrians, Babylonians ... all those guys had singular, main Gods and their attributes were funneled down through generations to whoever the God of the moment was. Seriously, you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting someone's ONE God. Must have been a pain in the ass living then; all those Gods, shitty standard of living for the plebeian, shittier for the slave, ever cranky Romans, no air conditioning. Dodgy

_______

I liked Religulous - I thought it was very well balanced.

My favorite part was where Bill was smoking pot with that guy, and the guy's hair caught fire. Cracked me up. Big Grin

Got Mark's blog spot on Mithras ...
http://www.markfulton.org/mithraism

Even my machinery is tired. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
06-05-2012, 04:59 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 05:21 AM by Mark Fulton.)
Thanks Kim Shy . Here is a little more on some of the other (than Mithraism) cults from which ideas were "borrowed" by the early Christians.

In the first four centuries CE, there was a huge trade network from Europe all the way to China. Goods were not the only commodities traded; philosophies, traditions and manuscripts were shared amongst the world’s people. Rome absorbed the gods of the provinces it conquered. By the end of the first century, there were so many foreign gods, that almost every day of the year celebrated some divinity. Roman citizens were encouraged to give offerings to these gods to maintain the “Pax Deorum.” The cults vied with each other for supremacy, and borrowed ideas from each other. The Christian cult was no different. Gods who became men, sons of gods, births to virgin mothers on or near the 25th of December, baptisms, miracles, healings, deaths due to hanging on trees or crucifixion, risings from the dead, and belief being the basis for salvation, were all traditional themes. Here are some examples.

Krishna, the central character of an Indian myth dating back to 1400 BCE, was born on the 25th December, and his birth was signaled by a star in the East and attended by angels and shepherds. His father was a carpenter. A tyrant slaughtered thousands of innocent infants to get the baby. Krishna raised the dead and healed lepers, the deaf and the blind. He was killed around age 30 and the sun darkened after his death. He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven, and became the second person of a trinity. Christianity, over the centuries, has repeatedly failed to make any headway in India, as Indians recognize it as an imitation of their own traditions.

Buddhist monks travelled to Egypt, Greece and Asia Minor four centuries before Christ. Buddha, traditionally said to have lived c 600 BCE, was born on December 25th to the virgin Maya. A king threatened the baby’s life. He was baptised in water, taught in a temple at age 12, healed the sick, fed 500 men from a small basket, walked on water and taught the parable of the prodigal son. His followers were obliged to take vows of poverty and to renounce the world, sex and family.

Attis of Phrygia, popular in Galatia and Rome, was a crucified and resurrected son of god. He was born on the 25th of December to the virgin Nana. He was slain for the salvation of mankind on “black Friday,” was resurrected after 3 days and his body became bread eaten by his worshippers.

Dionysis of Greece was born in a manger of a virgin on 25th December, performed miracles, turned water into wine, was eaten in a Eucharistic ritual, and rose from the dead on march 25th.

Stories about Osiris of Egypt predate Christ by thousands of years. His birth was announced by 3 wise men. He was called the resurrection and the Life and the Good Shepherd. He suffered, died and rose again. His flesh was eaten as wheat cakes. He had a son called Horus, whose birth was announced by a star in the east and attended by 3 wise men. He was born of the virgin Isis-Meri on the 25th December in a cave. At age 12 he was a teacher in a temple, then disappeared for 18 years, returned into circulation and was baptized at age 30. He had 12 disciples, performed miracles, exorcised demons, raised men from the dead, walked on water, delivered a sermon on the mount, was crucified between two thieves, and was buried for 3 days before he was resurrected from the dead.

There were many others, including Adduk and Marduk of Assyria, Adonis, Aesclepius, Apollo, Hercules and Zeus of Greece, Alcides of Thebes, Hermes of Greece/Egypt, Issa of Arabia, Jupiter of Rome and Serapis of Egypt who had striking similarities to the Christian mythology.

Jesus had to be distinguished from these other gods, so the church fathers had to make a big deal out of how he came “in the flesh.” They then derided other gods as mythical.

It is darned obvious that what became the Christian faith was a heady, plagiarized mix of Judaic, Mithraic, and other pagan myths. The existence of all these characters, so near identical in their exploits, constitutes an ancient universal mythos that has been hidden from or not acknowledged by Christians.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Mark Fulton's post
06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
(06-05-2012 04:59 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  It is darned obvious that what became the Christian faith was a heady, plagiarized mix of Judaic, Mithraic, and other pagan myths. The existence of all these characters, so near identical in their exploits, constitutes an ancient universal mythos that has been hidden from or not acknowledged by Christians.
Yes. But that's only half the problem. The entire "Orthodoxy" of Christianity, (which we now know, NEVER really was "orthodox", but each element was actually a raging humanoid controversy from day 1) is 99.99 % of the time presented as, (the fallacy), that it's "unique" character, and "special" defining determinant, is/was that it was an "original" monotheism. It was NOT. The cult of Yahweh Sabaoth, was built on the "Covenant". The Covenant was not that they "believed in one god", but that they would "worship" one god, (the God of the Armies, -- the Lord of Hosts), NOT because they believed in only one god, but becasue this one would help them win their battles. The first half of the real story, is also not acknowledged by religionists.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-05-2012, 09:05 AM
(06-05-2012 04:59 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Thanks Kim

I concur.

(06-05-2012 04:59 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  By the end of the first century, there were so many foreign gods, that almost every day of the year celebrated some divinity

Tell them that...

(06-05-2012 04:59 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  and his birth was signaled by a star

Astrology is always gonna be a factor. It's primeval.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2012, 10:02 AM
@Mark Fulton:

Your post clearly shows that Christianity is false, I don't understand how people can still believe that crap after seeing all those similarities. People are fucking dumb.
[+] 1 user Likes Vlad's post
06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
I bought it at the istore even though it is on Netflix just to show my support.
Showed it to my kids as well.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
[+] 3 users Like Debzilla's post