Remains of the Buddha found?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 12:14 AM
RE: Remains of the Buddha found?
I've seen a "real" tooth of the Buddha in India, Thailand, Nepal... along with some of the other 100 or 200 elsewhere in Asia LOL.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
02-07-2016, 12:44 AM
(01-07-2016 09:22 PM)Foxen Wrote:  I doubt sci-fi is a direct link to reality.

I'm not sure what this sentence is supposed to mean. However, I would assert that sci-fi has an amazing link to reality.

Sci-fi is a type of fiction which uses (typically) a future setting as a way of indirectly looking back at the past (to them; the present, to us), usually poking fun at our social prejudices and/or culture in a distant enough way for us to look at ourselves more honestly, by portraying a society that has either gotten over our problems (and mocks us for having had them) or that has taken those problems to an extreme that shows how ridiculous we are. It's rather like comedy, bringing truth through mockery, but allowing us to honestly look at it because the laughter is disarming. Likewise, the in-the-future setting of sci-fi allows us to get past the barriers of our cultural myopia in a way few other types of writing can do.

The reference here is that we've finally found the (overwhelmingly likely to be fraudulent) bones that someday some idiot will clone and try to proclaim it's the resurrected Buddha, as the authors of The Killing Star predicted.

Since there's no such thing as an eternal soul or reincarnation, the poor cloned guy (unlikely Buddha in the first place) whose original version's DNA was taken from that box will likely want to have nothing to do with the idiots who brought him into the world. When I saw Moms talking about the fraud element, it reminded me of the story, that's all.

Sorry for the TL;dr, but I really like sci-fi, and get a little bit miffed when people dismiss it as pointless or irrelevant, or imply it is such.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-07-2016, 12:46 AM

Pretty sure ole Rocko had that figured out already, he's pretty bright for being from Lousyana stock. Smile
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
02-07-2016, 12:56 AM
I will offer an excellent example, though not a print-form version (which are always better, of course), from the original Star Trek series, an episode called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", showing how sci-fi helps us look at ourselves from the perspective of our descendants.

This YouTuber even connected it more directly, by saying that this scene is how the "Metro Police" see race relations:

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
02-07-2016, 01:32 AM
(02-07-2016 12:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  

Pretty sure ole Rocko had that figured out already, he's pretty bright for being from Lousyana stock. Smile

To be fair, I was born in Texas. Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
02-07-2016, 01:41 AM
(02-07-2016 01:32 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 12:46 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Pretty sure ole Rocko had that figured out already, he's pretty bright for being from Lousyana stock. Smile

To be fair, I was born in Texas. Rolleyes

I knew you were good people!
02-07-2016, 05:25 AM
(02-07-2016 12:56 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  I will offer an excellent example, though not a print-form version (which are always better, of course), from the original Star Trek series, an episode called "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield", showing how sci-fi helps us look at ourselves from the perspective of our descendants.

This YouTuber even connected it more directly, by saying that this scene is how the "Metro Police" see race relations:

As an avid Star Trek fan, that episode was brilliant with how turned the idea of racial difference into a ridiculous proposition.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
02-07-2016, 05:42 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 06:00 AM by ghostexorcist.)
I call BS. Buddhists are just as nuts about bodily relics as the Catholics. Many temples in India, Central Asia, and East Asia have claimed in the past to own such a bone. It's a good way to drum up money from the faithful and even royal patronage. I'd venture a guess that there are more Buddha relics floating around than there was physical material in the historical man's body.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relics_ass...ith_Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
02-07-2016, 06:14 AM
Who the fuck cares?

"The remains of Mo"
"The remains of Jeusus"

Who cares? Buddhism is a religion and just as superfluous in cosmic time as any other religion. There were no religions 200,000 years ago, much less 4 billion years ago, much less 13.8 billion years ago. In 5 billion years our species will be long since extinct when our sun expands and fries all life on earth and the universe will continue with no record of our species or the myths of antiquity we have concocted.

What matters is now. Certainly it is important to keep the records of history, but nobody has magical insight to why good or bad happens. Our species behaviors are in our evolutionary nature, not religion itself.\

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2016, 07:59 AM

All the best sci-fi has its origins in reality.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post