Remember the retiree who bought those doomsday ad's? He's not stupid!He's Marketing!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2011, 10:54 AM

Wink Remember the retiree who bought those doomsday ad's? He's not stupid!He's Marketing!
[Image: dmo3.jpg]
The Doomsday Code as it appears against a NYC bus shelter.

Remember this article? Man spends entire retirement savings on May 21 end of world doomsday coming.

By now we’ve all heard that Robert Fitzpatrick has gone and supposedly blown his entire retirement savings of $140 000 on a bunch of ads for the sake of a public unrepentant and unaware that this coming Saturday, May 21- life on earth will no longer exist.

What most of us don’t know though is the fact that Mr Fitzpatrick has got a book called The Doomsday Code out which by sheer virtue of all the press he is generating must be generating quite a bit of public exposure and one would wonder some hefty sales. Something this author imagines will address the $140 000 shortfall and assuming life does continue to go past this Saturday (let’s hope so for our collective sakes) Mr Fitzpatrick might not end up being as crazy as most of us think he is.

In some respect the book is a hedge in the event Mr Fitzpatrick is wrong (something by virtue of coming out with the book and wildly advertising it) and one wonders if not a subtle admission by Mr Fitzpatrick that ostensibly he is just guessing. And if one does the math, it could end up being that Mr Fitzpatrick could end up making a whole lot more money than the $140 000 he ostensibly used to ‘market’ his book.

Time will tell… (Source)

HA! Tongue Oh hell Barnum, you rock!

*edit* Typo!
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2011, 11:32 AM

RE: Remember the retiree who bought those doomsday ad's? He's not stupid!He's Marketing!
That honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's what he's doing. Even if that was his plan all along, he's still a nut job.
16-05-2011, 11:52 AM

RE: Remember the retiree who bought those doomsday ad's? He's not stupid!He's Marketing!
Yes, but he stands to make a profit off of the prophet that's made preachers rich for nearly three thousand years. Selling gullibility to those who make the free will choice to buy into it.

If you could formulate something that is total BS, and yet clad it in a way that people would pay to have it, would you do it?

Playing to peoples susceptibility, their self-imposed weakness, has been a marketing tool exploited for years.

When Blackberry was first going to hit the market, the company gave pretty girls free berries and told them to go into the bars and night clubs and chat up, flirt with, the clientele. Then they'd ask those guys for their digits, their phone number, while handing them that blackberry. It was so unique at the time that inevitably the guy would ask about the phone, but in the meantime, that phone number he punched into the blackberry was used to market him the upcoming product. And future updates as well.

Know the "Roaming Gnome" Travelocity commercial on TV? That Gnome started off as a news report in 2004, wherein a family alerted local media that someone had stolen their garden gnome and were now sending them updates as to it's travels. It was so unusual a story that the media updated almost every night for weeks, as reports came in through this family, that their Gnome was in a new place.

Worked like a charm, as we see today. It's a travel icon in the industry. Travel-o-city. Tongue

Robert Fitzpatrick is simply playing to the crowds that follow the Doomsday billboards, thinking the worlds going to end May 21st. What's really a riot is he knows (thinks) he'll have Christian buyers for his Bible Code book on May 22nd and after. Haaaaaaaaa! Gotta love that. It's an in your face; "you're really thinking you're going to ascend to Heaven on Saturday? Well, just in case not, buy this book", smack.

I gotta think of something to make me rich, as I fleece the sheep. Seriously.
16-05-2011, 11:58 AM

You're 100% correct. These have been marketing ploys since the beginning of mankind. It's rather disgusting and immoral (even though the bible ironically teaches what is supposedly moral) but it works.

Well, look at Scientology, that's a load of bullshit but people believe it. And the guy running it makes bank.

I'm going to bring back Greek mythology. Donate now and receive the blessing of Zeus!
16-05-2011, 12:45 PM

Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, has been dead for years. Allegedly! Many of his followers believe he's alive and in hiding. Sort of like a Jesus myth, but instead of being dead and promised to return, he's a prophet in hiding. Rolleyes

He wasn't healthy in the 80's so it's hard to imagine anyone would think he's alive in 2011. None the less, Hubbard was as bad as LaVey, when it came to no original thought save to scheme people out of their hard earned.

Hubbard was a Navy man. During his travels, he happened on a manuscript and from there, stole the idea's and created from it's platform today's "Scientology". He was a hack sci-fi writer who tired of being paid pennies per word. And instead, legend has it, he and a bunch of other Sci-Fi writers and scientists sat around discussing the state of the world and he quipped, if you wanted to live forever create a religion.
From that notion, and what he learned from this German 1943 manuscript, and especially during the cold war when Sci-Fi and Aliens from outer space threatening earth were a big theme, he did just that.

LINK to: Scientology ~ Science of the Constitution and Usefulness of Knowledge
16-05-2011, 12:54 PM

Ha Hubbard's like Tupac. He's not dead! He's living in someones garage.
16-05-2011, 01:08 PM

(16-05-2011 12:54 PM)bird Wrote:  Ha Hubbard's like Tupac. He's not dead! He's living in someones garage.
And they're both being chauffeured around town to parties, by Elvis. Wink

Amazing isn't it? How people just can't let their idols die?
I saw Tupac's autopsy photo's. He's dead. What's interesting though is he's made more money dead, and put out more albums now than when he was alive.
Post mortem big bank. Tongue
I'm in the wrong business.
Then again, that's because I have a pulse. Confused
16-05-2011, 01:11 PM

(16-05-2011 01:08 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I'm in the wrong business.

I can fix that for you if you want Smile

Ha, but yeah, people just don't know how to let go. I'm kind of the same way though, I'm hoping that one day music will make a return from the electronic bullshit it's become today.
16-05-2011, 01:56 PM

(16-05-2011 01:11 PM)bird Wrote:  
(16-05-2011 01:08 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  I'm in the wrong business.

I can fix that for you if you want Smile
I'll keep ya in mind. Tongue

Quote:Ha, but yeah, people just don't know how to let go. I'm kind of the same way though, I'm hoping that one day music will make a return from the electronic bullshit it's become today.

Oh boy, are you optimistic. Wink First we'd have to find a way to plant a major sweeping virus that would melt "auto-tune", so that the likes of Lady gaga, Britney Spears, Ashley Simpson and the other bubble gum magnets stop earning a living with no real chops.
Now that's optimism for ya.
See? It's contagious. Big Grin