Reminiscences of a lapsed Catholic boy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2015, 08:16 AM
RE: Reminiscences of a lapsed Catholic boy
(04-04-2015 09:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To make things even worse when communion was offered and I didn’t participate because I had sinned (probably played with myself while looking at Playboy) I got the evil eye from the other parishoners and my parents were sorely embarrassed for me, what kind of parents don’t make their son go to confession anyway?

Funny you mention that. I always loved communion because it meant, only one song left and the ordeal is over. And I always went through the motions and didn't stay in the pew. In fact, confessionals contributed to my becoming an atheist. I remember pretty clearly thinking that guy in his box had no business knowing what I've been up to.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2015, 08:40 AM
(09-04-2015 08:16 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 09:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To make things even worse when communion was offered and I didn’t participate because I had sinned (probably played with myself while looking at Playboy) I got the evil eye from the other parishoners and my parents were sorely embarrassed for me, what kind of parents don’t make their son go to confession anyway?

Funny you mention that. I always loved communion because it meant, only one song left and the ordeal is over. And I always went through the motions and didn't stay in the pew. In fact, confessionals contributed to my becoming an atheist. I remember pretty clearly thinking that guy in his box had no business knowing what I've been up to.

Confessing is intended as a punishment. I remember feeling guilty for not going, then feeling guilty for not confessing to everything, then feeling guilty I knew I intended to keep doing whatever it was that I had to confess in the first place.
I’m convinced that he Catholic Church is based on control through guilt. It took fucking forever to get past all this guilt-trip shit. RCC=one big mind fuck.

I still resent the hell out the whole thing, one of the reasons I come here, to commiserate and let off some steam.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
09-04-2015, 08:48 AM
(09-04-2015 08:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m convinced that he Catholic Church is based on control through guilt. It took fucking forever to get past all this guilt-trip shit. RCC=one big mind fuck.

They all are. Every church I know of. And they all try to make you feel guilty for the most natural human urges and instincts so you can't possibly avoid sinning.

Even as a child I wasn't the most religious person, so I didn't really feel guilty. But for a pretty long time I couldn't shake that feeling of Jesus looking over my shoulder. If you stop to think a moment, it's a pretty creepy picture they're painting. Some kind of celestial peeping Tom.

Anyway, I stopped going to confessionals while still being a child. As I said, I came to the conclusion of that guy not needing to know what I've been up to. And what should I tell him anyway? That I played with myself? Given the nature of some catholic priests, he might have liked the story.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
09-04-2015, 08:54 AM
(09-04-2015 04:13 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Ugh, I'm sorry you guys had to go through that crap Sad

Yeah thanks. Sounds like you missed the carnival?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
10-04-2015, 02:42 PM
(09-04-2015 08:48 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 08:40 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  I’m convinced that he Catholic Church is based on control through guilt. It took fucking forever to get past all this guilt-trip shit. RCC=one big mind fuck.

They all are. Every church I know of. And they all try to make you feel guilty for the most natural human urges and instincts so you can't possibly avoid sinning.

Even as a child I wasn't the most religious person, so I didn't really feel guilty. But for a pretty long time I couldn't shake that feeling of Jesus looking over my shoulder. If you stop to think a moment, it's a pretty creepy picture they're painting. Some kind of celestial peeping Tom.

Anyway, I stopped going to confessionals while still being a child. As I said, I came to the conclusion of that guy not needing to know what I've been up to. And what should I tell him anyway? That I played with myself? Given the nature of some catholic priests, he might have liked the story.

Yikes! As a protestant, the whole confessional thing really creeped me out. Having an invisible man in the sky with angels everywhere was oppressive enough to where you didn't want to think about it, there was PLENTY of guilt to be had. I couldn't even imagine having to confess your sins to a person, it just takes guilt to a whole new level.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
10-04-2015, 03:25 PM
I remember a lot of what everyone has said. My parents were very creative when i came to Easter my father made bunny paw prints and would leave "washable" paint makes on the floors. Leave notes from the Easter bunny giving clues were around the house the basket full of candy's and toys would be. Getting sick on all the peeps and jelly bean. My mother also would always slowly eat our chocolate rabbits as the week progress and blame it on the Easter Bunny. At times we would even hide plastic eggs around the property and all the neighborhood kids would come over and have a massive Easter hunt.

My least fond memory's from of those days are the 2 to 3 hours Catholic Mass that we had to attend. Sit, Stand, Neal, Rinse repeat. The Choir, which was lead by a woman that thought she was an opera singer would chime in with a song after ever speaker. And those uncomfortable wooden chairs. OH those hard ass chairs! My mother would even make us wait around so that we could talk to the priest. And because of the huge amount of people that could take another hour!

I know it's off topic but do any former Roman Catholics remember CCD?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post