Replace electoral college with weighted direct vote?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2016, 12:10 PM
RE: Replace electoral college with weighted direct vote?
http://time.com/4575119/electoral-college-demagogues/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2016, 12:24 PM
(24-11-2016 11:46 AM)julep Wrote:  Replace it with direct votes. The presidency has an effect on every American.

As far as I know it's the only elected office in the US that uses this method. All others are direct votes. The only reason the republicans don't want to change it is because it gives them an advantage.

I accept the results because these were the rules of the game but it doesn't give trump a mandate at all and it certainly wasn't a popularly voted landslide.....far, far from it. Johnson vs Goldwater and Nixon vs McGovern were huge landslides in both the popular and electoral votes but within two years of their term in office things really went south.

Last I read Hillary was over 2 million votes ahead of trump.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-11-2016, 12:48 PM
(24-11-2016 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 11:46 AM)julep Wrote:  Replace it with direct votes. The presidency has an effect on every American.

As far as I know it's the only elected office in the US that uses this method. All others are direct votes. The only reason the republicans don't want to change it is because it gives them an advantage.

I accept the results because these were the rules of the game but it doesn't give trump a mandate at all and it certainly wasn't a popularly voted landslide.....far, far from it. Johnson vs Goldwater and Nixon vs McGovern were huge landslides in both the popular and electoral votes but within two years of their term in office things really went south.

Probably 4 million illegals that voted, which means Trump is up by 2 million.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
24-11-2016, 12:50 PM
(24-11-2016 12:48 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Probably 4 million illegals that voted, which means Trump is up by 2 million.
What is that figure based on?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
24-11-2016, 12:56 PM
(24-11-2016 12:50 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 12:48 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Probably 4 million illegals that voted, which means Trump is up by 2 million.
What is that figure based on?

I was half joking. But California has a lot of illegals. I wouldn't be surprised if they vote.

24-11-2016, 12:59 PM
(24-11-2016 12:48 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 12:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  As far as I know it's the only elected office in the US that uses this method. All others are direct votes. The only reason the republicans don't want to change it is because it gives them an advantage.

Probably 4 million illegals that voted, which means Trump is up by 2 million.

Provide evidence of this.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
24-11-2016, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2016 01:18 PM by Dom.)
To me, if someone gets 2 million more votes, 2 million more people prefer them, and they should get the job.

That is just common sense, and the rest is crap.

I'd still like to see California, Oregon and Washington form their own union.

They have all the climate zones between them, can grow anything, and are attractive to people with all weather preferences. They have enough people and enough land and should be able to create a heck of an economy. Why emigrate? Come to the new union!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-11-2016, 01:15 PM
(24-11-2016 12:59 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

Provide evidence of this.

California doesn't require any form of identification to vote. I grew up in L.A. and all the mexican kids I knew used to say their illegal parents could vote easily. No questions asked. They even hand out ballots in Spanish.
24-11-2016, 01:18 PM
(24-11-2016 01:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  To me, if someone gets 2 million more votes, 2 million more people prefer them, and they should get the job.

Me too. The U.S. Military would pull out all assets. And the Russians and Chinese would move in the next day. They'd be begging to be back in within a week.

24-11-2016, 01:19 PM
(24-11-2016 01:18 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  
(24-11-2016 01:12 PM)Dom Wrote:  To me, if someone gets 2 million more votes, 2 million more people prefer them, and they should get the job.

Me too. The U.S. Military would pull out all assets. And the Russians and Chinese would move in the next day. They'd be begging to be back in within a week.

Oh, I strongly doubt that the old US would want the Chinese and Russians there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man