Replicators

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Replicators
Has anyone here watched the TV series, Stargate SG-1? If so, then you know what I mean by replicators. For those not familiar, replicators in this show were small spider-like self-directed machines that had some artificial intelligence built in and they fed on metals. They replicated themselves, thus their name, and spread rapidly. They had the ability to combine and form larger machines. They would feed on spaceships and render them inoperable before moving on. (There's more, but that's enough to make my point.)

When I originally watched the series, I disliked the replicator episodes because the whole concept seemed unrealistic to me. The idea of objects made from non-living materials having some sort of self-directed intelligence, including a will to survive and reproduce, just seem too far fetched.

I'm mentioning it here because recently I changed my mind. In thinking about where we human beings have come from now that God isn't the explanation, I realized it isn't any different. I still have a lot to learn about the exact science behind it all, but RNA apparently did develop spontaneously from mere chemicals and was a predecessor to DNA. Ultimately, this evolved into all living things on this planet. So humans are an example of the very concept that I found far fetched - self-directed intelligence formed from non-living materials.

So perhaps something like replicators are actually possible. Intriguing and scary...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2013, 11:11 AM
RE: Replicators
(13-05-2013 10:59 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Has anyone here watched the TV series, Stargate SG-1? If so, then you know what I mean by replicators. For those not familiar, replicators in this show were small spider-like self-directed machines that had some artificial intelligence built in and they fed on metals. They replicated themselves, thus their name, and spread rapidly. They had the ability to combine and form larger machines. They would feed on spaceships and render them inoperable before moving on. (There's more, but that's enough to make my point.)

When I originally watched the series, I disliked the replicator episodes because the whole concept seemed unrealistic to me. The idea of objects made from non-living materials having some sort of self-directed intelligence, including a will to survive and reproduce, just seem too far fetched.

I'm mentioning it here because recently I changed my mind. In thinking about where we human beings have come from now that God isn't the explanation, I realized it isn't any different. I still have a lot to learn about the exact science behind it all, but RNA apparently did develop spontaneously from mere chemicals and was a predecessor to DNA. Ultimately, this evolved into all living things on this planet. So humans are an example of the very concept that I found far fetched - self-directed intelligence formed from non-living materials.

So perhaps something like replicators are actually possible. Intriguing and scary...

We're coming very close to achieving this with the design of self replicating Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS).

http://www.imm.org/publications/reports/rep021/

There is some amount of concern for this getting out of control and spawning the Grey Goo Doomsday Scenario.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
13-05-2013, 11:15 AM
If you watched the episodes, the replicators were created. Machines we build dont have allot of redundancy. We are still a while away from having an ai.

Nothing to worry about yet. Machines dont have a will to live or to go on living, so we'd have to program that stuff in.
13-05-2013, 11:21 AM
I saw the title of this thread and my mind went straight to Star Trek The Next Generation.

How awesome today would be if those kind of replicators turned out to be possible...

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like yumeji's post
13-05-2013, 12:59 PM
(13-05-2013 11:21 AM)yumeji Wrote:  I saw the title of this thread and my mind went straight to Star Trek The Next Generation.

How awesome today would be if those kind of replicators turned out to be possible...

Yes I had thought that as well.

People have a fit about 3-D printers printing guns. Imagine all the hell a replicator would cause.

"Computer, replicate one hydrogen bomb, 400-kiloton yield."

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
13-05-2013, 03:57 PM
(13-05-2013 11:11 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(13-05-2013 10:59 AM)Impulse Wrote:  Has anyone here watched the TV series, Stargate SG-1? If so, then you know what I mean by replicators. For those not familiar, replicators in this show were small spider-like self-directed machines that had some artificial intelligence built in and they fed on metals. They replicated themselves, thus their name, and spread rapidly. They had the ability to combine and form larger machines. They would feed on spaceships and render them inoperable before moving on. (There's more, but that's enough to make my point.)

We're coming very close to achieving this with the design of self replicating Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS).

http://www.imm.org/publications/reports/rep021/

There is some amount of concern for this getting out of control and spawning the Grey Goo Doomsday Scenario.
Wow, I had no idea. Blink
Very interesting though. Thanks for that info.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
13-05-2013, 03:59 PM
(13-05-2013 11:15 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  If you watched the episodes, the replicators were created. Machines we build dont have allot of redundancy. We are still a while away from having an ai.

Nothing to worry about yet. Machines dont have a will to live or to go on living, so we'd have to program that stuff in.
I'm not worried about seeing these in our lifetimes.

At least I wasn't until Carlos_the_Bugsmasher's post. Tongue

13-05-2013, 04:00 PM
(13-05-2013 11:21 AM)yumeji Wrote:  I saw the title of this thread and my mind went straight to Star Trek The Next Generation.

LOL, I haven't watched TNG for years and I forgot about those. That would be cool.

13-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Another interesting article is: "Why the future doesn't need us", by Bill Joy (he co-founded Sun MicroSystems and is the co-author of the Java language).

Quote:First let us postulate that the computer scientists succeed in developing intelligent machines that can do all things better than human beings can do them. In that case presumably all work will be done by vast, highly organized systems of machines and no human effort will be necessary. Either of two cases might occur. The machines might be permitted to make all of their own decisions without human oversight, or else human control over the machines might be retained.

If the machines are permitted to make all their own decisions, we can't make any conjectures as to the results, because it is impossible to guess how such machines might behave. We only point out that the fate of the human race would be at the mercy of the machines. It might be argued that the human race would never be foolish enough to hand over all the power to the machines. But we are suggesting neither that the human race would voluntarily turn power over to the machines nor that the machines would willfully seize power. What we do suggest is that the human race might easily permit itself to drift into a position of such dependence on the machines that it would have no practical choice but to accept all of the machines' decisions.

As society and the problems that face it become more and more complex and machines become more and more intelligent, people will let machines make more of their decisions for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring better results than man-made ones. Eventually a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage the machines will be in effective control. People won't be able to just turn the machines off, because they will be so dependent on them that turning them off would amount to suicide.

Full article at:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
14-05-2013, 09:20 AM
(13-05-2013 05:18 PM)KVron Wrote:  Another interesting article is: "Why the future doesn't need us", by Bill Joy (he co-founded Sun MicroSystems and is the co-author of the Java language).

Quote:First let us postulate that the computer scientists succeed in developing intelligent machines that can do all things better than human beings can do them. In that case presumably all work will be done by vast, highly organized systems of machines and no human effort will be necessary. Either of two cases might occur. The machines might be permitted to make all of their own decisions without human oversight, or else human control over the machines might be retained.

If the machines are permitted to make all their own decisions, we can't make any conjectures as to the results, because it is impossible to guess how such machines might behave. We only point out that the fate of the human race would be at the mercy of the machines. It might be argued that the human race would never be foolish enough to hand over all the power to the machines. But we are suggesting neither that the human race would voluntarily turn power over to the machines nor that the machines would willfully seize power. What we do suggest is that the human race might easily permit itself to drift into a position of such dependence on the machines that it would have no practical choice but to accept all of the machines' decisions.

As society and the problems that face it become more and more complex and machines become more and more intelligent, people will let machines make more of their decisions for them, simply because machine-made decisions will bring better results than man-made ones. Eventually a stage may be reached at which the decisions necessary to keep the system running will be so complex that human beings will be incapable of making them intelligently. At that stage the machines will be in effective control. People won't be able to just turn the machines off, because they will be so dependent on them that turning them off would amount to suicide.

Full article at:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html
Whoa, that's a sobering line of thought! Unsure