Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
Hello all,

I've been encountering a very tired, old, too oft repeated question that I'm having trouble with.

Once you've done all you can to debunk, argue and or offer alternative ideas for most of the regular junk that theists toss out for their believing, I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

I know these are childish and stem from simply being frustrated because of the logical fallacies you've tried to show people, but I have trouble organizing and succinctly itemizing the reasons that it's important to question and refute religion at all crossroads, that it shouldn't be given a free pass to spread bullcrap with no burden of proof.

I'm pretty sure Seth had posted a good list of why atheists don't just "let it slide" and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in that direction, or offer me a list of their own?

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  Hello all,

I've been encountering a very tired, old, too oft repeated question that I'm having trouble with.

Once you've done all you can to debunk, argue and or offer alternative ideas for most of the regular junk that theists toss out for their believing, I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

I know these are childish and stem from simply being frustrated because of the logical fallacies you've tried to show people, but I have trouble organizing and succinctly itemizing the reasons that it's important to question and refute religion at all crossroads, that it shouldn't be given a free pass to spread bullcrap with no burden of proof.

I'm pretty sure Seth had posted a good list of why atheists don't just "let it slide" and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in that direction, or offer me a list of their own?

Cheers

Because religion is dangerous. It promotes faith and teaches people that it is alright to go by your feelings. And that bleeds over into the society. When people don't use reason their only other alternative is to use a club or a gun. What people believe and more importantly how they arrive at that belief matters.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
07-05-2015, 08:36 PM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  Hello all,

Cheers

Why do they need to be "evangelicals" ? If they agree to STFU, tell them maybe we'll think about it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-05-2015, 08:45 PM
Most, if not all, non-belief arguments are counter to assertions made by believers.
Keeping to oneself is advice they themselves should heed.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
07-05-2015, 09:38 PM
Why do we talk about it? If you're in the U.S. you can put in that their religion is inflicted on others through required items ("In God We Trust" on the money), and as part of required speech ("under God" in the pledge of allegiance). In any majority religious society, it's because people often vote for laws based on holy books filled with iron age misogyn and barbarism. Anywhere at all, because the religious socially attack and demonize those who don't believe (polls show convicted felons often rate above atheists in terms of trust, many claim it is because atheists have no morals, though a recent study suggests they may do it becuase we remind them uncomfortably of their own mortality), and because religion, like any fervently held ideogy, has a habit of being or becoming an in-group, out-group thought process which leads to suspicion, fear, anger, and violence.
If that doesn't work, the old stand-by of "if you didn't try to spread your message, we wouldn't respond to it" works or maybe "I agree. All beliefs about gods should be kept to oneself. You first."
[+] 5 users Like OddGamer's post
07-05-2015, 09:38 PM
How about "Oh, grow up."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
07-05-2015, 09:52 PM
Same reason we are "angry"

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_...nd-an.html
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
07-05-2015, 10:08 PM
(07-05-2015 09:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Same reason we are "angry"

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_...nd-an.html

LOL indeed we often seem angry, but I prefer to think we're just frustrated with having to try to beat the same message through a brick wall every day LMAO!
[+] 1 user Likes DOS1129's post
07-05-2015, 10:12 PM
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

If they believe it, why can't they just keep it to THEMselves? Why can't THEY just leave US alone? If THEY believe, why do THEY need to be jackasses* about it?

I know not EVERY Christian is a hypocrite on these points, but MAN.

*For comparison. Us being jackasses: Speaking our mind about the silliness of the belief, demanding the Constitution be obeyed, identifying as non-believers, and declining to participate. Them being jackasses: Trying to force us to be silent, demanding the Constitution be violated, attacking us for identifying as non-believers (including ostracizing, disowning, and firing), and trying to force us -- and our children -- to participate.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
07-05-2015, 10:42 PM
When they stop trying to pedal their non-scientific shit into public schools, stop trying to codify their theology into civil law, and stop insisting on taking a tax exemption, I might keep my objections to myself. Until that time, they can go fuck themselves.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 4 users Like TheMrBillShow's post