Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 10:51 PM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  Hello all,

I've been encountering a very tired, old, too oft repeated question that I'm having trouble with.

Once you've done all you can to debunk, argue and or offer alternative ideas for most of the regular junk that theists toss out for their believing, I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

I know these are childish and stem from simply being frustrated because of the logical fallacies you've tried to show people, but I have trouble organizing and succinctly itemizing the reasons that it's important to question and refute religion at all crossroads, that it shouldn't be given a free pass to spread bullcrap with no burden of proof.

I'm pretty sure Seth had posted a good list of why atheists don't just "let it slide" and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in that direction, or offer me a list of their own?

Cheers
I can't believe that someone have the guts to come and tell me to keep to myself the fact that I don't believe, when that kind of people don't know better than being pushing their beliefs on others.
It only shows what kind of characters they are!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2015, 01:28 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
If believers stop forcing their beliefs on others then I will happily keep my objections to myself. However I very much doubt it wile happen in foreseable future.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
08-05-2015, 02:04 AM
The best thing one can do is ignore that kind of ignorant people their IQ is definitely low. Engaging them will be a waste of time and energy.
08-05-2015, 03:27 AM
When people who believe in a higher power stop trying to pass laws that execute gays and atheists like the gay suppression act and the laws in third would countries.
When people who believe in a higher power stop pushing their religion onto others by use of force, threats or social pressure.
When people who believe in a higher power stop pushing their ideals into our politics
When people who believe in a higher power stop trying to force schools to teach creationism
When people who believe in a higher power stop threatening people with pain, suffering, fire, torture and fear; and when people stop accusing innocent people they have never met before for being a horrible human being and guilty of crimes they never committed and brainwash the masses into thinking they are evil.......

When people who believe in a higher power stop doing all of that.

I will keep it to myself. But not until there is not a single last person in the entire world of any religion that continues to do so.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 5 users Like Shadow Fox's post
08-05-2015, 04:02 AM
Why can't I keep my objections to myself ?

Because I have morals and I value the truth.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
08-05-2015, 06:45 AM
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  Hello all,

I've been encountering a very tired, old, too oft repeated question that I'm having trouble with.

Once you've done all you can to debunk, argue and or offer alternative ideas for most of the regular junk that theists toss out for their believing, I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

I know these are childish and stem from simply being frustrated because of the logical fallacies you've tried to show people, but I have trouble organizing and succinctly itemizing the reasons that it's important to question and refute religion at all crossroads, that it shouldn't be given a free pass to spread bullcrap with no burden of proof.

I'm pretty sure Seth had posted a good list of why atheists don't just "let it slide" and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in that direction, or offer me a list of their own?

Cheers

I used to just ignore religion as it has no meaning to me, but then again, as I have stated before I can no longer just look the other way. You have to study the effects of religion, and most major religions to be able to identify the bad emotional impacts subjugation causes. Also on the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
08-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Because when i see someone that thinks drinking anti-freeze is a good idea, and is making other people think drinking anti-freeze is a good idea. I'm going to say something!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
08-05-2015, 09:37 AM
(07-05-2015 09:52 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Same reason we are "angry"

http://gretachristina.typepad.com/greta_...nd-an.html
Bought her ebook. Loved it.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
08-05-2015, 09:48 AM
Well because most major religions, even in the hands of well-meaning practitioners who are generally good people, promote all of the following:

1. Suppression of women as being inferior or weaker
2. Faith over questioning and reason
3. Fear of sexuality of all types but non-heterosexual and non-procreative sexuality especially
4. Man's lack of true responsibility for his own actions (forgiveness of sin, "part of God's plan," etc)
5. Mankind as being inherently lowly and flawed merely by birth
6. Willful ignorance and fear of knowledge
7. Higher willingness to submit to authorities including unjust authorities
8. Directing morality and behavior through promises of a Heaven and threats of a Hell, neither of which exist

So if you're a non-believer and are opposed to one or more of the items above, you should speak about it with at LEAST as much zeal as people who DO believe are allowed to employ.
[+] 6 users Like Mr. Boston's post
08-05-2015, 05:51 PM
I have found that just like people don't care about someone's religious views, they also couldn't care less about your lack of belief either.