Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-05-2015, 01:25 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(08-05-2015 05:51 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I have found that just like people don't care about someone's religious views, they also couldn't care less about your lack of belief either.

If you add: "as long those views don't impact their life" then it could be true.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2015, 01:57 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
We terrify them. Our non-belief pulls at that seed of doubt they've surpressed their entire life. Subconsciously its there. Every time they pray and nothing answers back. On the rare occasions their mind wonders free, even for just a second.

We are the most frequent reminder of what they're to scared to admit.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
09-05-2015, 06:08 AM
(07-05-2015 08:17 PM)DOS1129 Wrote:  Hello all,

I've been encountering a very tired, old, too oft repeated question that I'm having trouble with.

Once you've done all you can to debunk, argue and or offer alternative ideas for most of the regular junk that theists toss out for their believing, I am often confronted with very heated "Why can't you just leave us alone?" or "If you don't believe why do you need to be a jackass about it?" type responses.

Well, I mostly keep it to myself. For one, religion hardly does come up as a topic here in Europe. It's just not part of our daily conversations, politics or social lives. If asked I say my piece, but I don't see any reason to bring it up myself. I know this is different in certain parts of the States, but that's just how it is.

I also don't go looking for trouble on christian boards, since it just doesn't interest me and my temper would get the better of me anyway if I am to see something fundamentally stupid, which is a given on these kinds of communities.

Here, or on AF for that matter, it's open season. If someone comes in with the wish to rub his or her ignorance in everybody's faces, I have no problems being a jackass, so to speak. They knew what to expect when visiting an atheist community.
10-05-2015, 01:51 PM
RE: Reply to the tired, old...
(08-05-2015 05:51 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  I have found that just like people don't care about someone's religious views, they also couldn't care less about your lack of belief either.

I wish that were true. I've been an atheist for 50+years and I've had lots of people try and reconvert me (my early years were as a catholic). And I'm talking about living in Australia and Holland where my atheist status is of no major concern to most people. For example, being an atheist hasn't hurt my getting a job (it's a question that's never even been asked). But I've read on this forum (and others) that people don't disclose their atheism because it may cause problems.
10-05-2015, 01:59 PM
If they want to believe horseshit let them keep it to themselves.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
10-05-2015, 05:15 PM
(10-05-2015 01:51 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  But I've read on this forum (and others) that people don't disclose their atheism because it may cause problems.

I guess, only in America. I would be hard pressed to name another Western country where this could be an issue. If you were discriminated in finding a job in Europe, based on your lack of religion or your kind of belief for that matter, the employer is asking for expensive trouble, since it goes against European anti discrimination laws, which are constitutional in most memer states of the EU.
14-05-2015, 09:43 PM
Both the religious and non-religious should shut the fuck up about their beliefs in public.
14-05-2015, 09:52 PM
(14-05-2015 09:43 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  Both the religious and non-religious should shut the fuck up about their beliefs in public.

When one won't, the other can't.
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
15-05-2015, 04:17 AM
(14-05-2015 09:43 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  Both the religious and non-religious should shut the fuck up about their beliefs in public.

Or maybe believers should stop talking about their favorite fairy tale, and stop trying forcing their taboos on others and problem will solve itself?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
15-05-2015, 06:59 AM

[Image: screen_shot_2014-05-02_at_2.02.57_pm.png]

[Image: offensive-christian-billboard-18267-1236608489-2.jpg]

[Image: christianbillboard.jpg]

When these go away, we can stop making a fuss.
[+] 7 users Like natachan's post