Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2015, 08:17 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(15-05-2015 06:59 AM)natachan Wrote:  
(14-05-2015 09:43 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  Both the religious and non-religious should shut the fuck up about their beliefs in public.

[Image: screen_shot_2014-05-02_at_2.02.57_pm.png]

[Image: offensive-christian-billboard-18267-1236608489-2.jpg]

[Image: christianbillboard.jpg]

When these go away, we can stop making a fuss.

mhmmmmm wow, what I would give for rev dipshit Briggs to meet this lunatic atheist in real life, up close and personal, where I thrive.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-05-2015, 08:56 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't believe why can't you just keep it to yourself?
(14-05-2015 09:43 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  Both the religious and non-religious should shut the fuck up about their beliefs in public.
Sounds nice on paper but when the religious want to enact laws (or deny rights) based on their religions, it ceases to be a good idea for everyone to shut up.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
15-05-2015, 09:29 AM

So go tell the christians that. No, seriously: why are you here, why is it that every time somebody pipes up that everybody should just be quiet about their religious views in public, that sentiment is aimed exclusively at atheists, or spoken in atheist-centric forums, when it's the believers who are erecting gaudy idols to their beliefs on public land, attempting to make those beliefs law, and so on?

One wonders what the actual purpose of that sentiment is; it's a supposedly equal appeal, but the fact that the speakers never seem to figure out the obvious fact that it's the religious who are far more guilty of injecting their beliefs into the public square does seem to point to the conclusion that this is more about silencing atheists than anything else... :thinking:
[+] 2 users Like Esquilax's post
15-05-2015, 10:27 AM
(10-05-2015 05:15 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(10-05-2015 01:51 PM)jockmcdock Wrote:  But I've read on this forum (and others) that people don't disclose their atheism because it may cause problems.

I guess, only in America. I would be hard pressed to name another Western country where this could be an issue. If you were discriminated in finding a job in Europe, based on your lack of religion or your kind of belief for that matter, the employer is asking for expensive trouble, since it goes against European anti discrimination laws, which are constitutional in most member states of the EU.

Such discrimination is illegal in America, too, with the exception that religious organizations hiring for religious positions can demand applicants to hold the organization's faith.

I live in small-town Central Texas about thirty miles from Austin, and I don't hide my atheism; and many others are like me in that regard. It's a non-issue.
15-05-2015, 10:34 AM
It might be illegal, but shocker of shockers people break the law. I have nearly lost my job once because one of the managers knew I was an atheist and was out to get me fired. Cops won't go after people who slash my tires if they did it for religious reasons. And if you read posts I've put up here you know that my university treats me differently because I'm an atheist (read the post I made about the preacher who was thrown off campus for insulting a Muslim girl, but not for threatening me).
15-05-2015, 11:06 AM
(15-05-2015 10:34 AM)natachan Wrote:  It might be illegal, but shocker of shockers people break the law. I have nearly lost my job once because one of the managers knew I was an atheist and was out to get me fired. Cops won't go after people who slash my tires if they did it for religious reasons. And if you read posts I've put up here you know that my university treats me differently because I'm an atheist (read the post I made about the preacher who was thrown off campus for insulting a Muslim girl, but not for threatening me).

Of course people break the law. Now, if you're interested in remedying that, give the ACLU a call; they will find you representation and you can handle your business.

Or, you can post about it online, which will surely bring about change, and from the comfort of your armchair.
15-05-2015, 11:07 AM
RE: Reply to the tired, old "If you don't...
(15-05-2015 10:27 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Such discrimination is illegal in America, too, with the exception that religious organizations hiring for religious positions can demand applicants to hold the organization's faith.

I live in small-town Central Texas about thirty miles from Austin, and I don't hide my atheism; and many others are like me in that regard. It's a non-issue.

It may be illegal, but that doesn't stop it. They just don't advertise. They just say "Thanks, Mr Atheist. We'll let you know". And, of course, they can choose to say "No".

I'm glad your atheism is a non-issue where you live. But the pictures Dunkleweizen is showing a few posts back don't support the idea that these attitudes are nation-wide.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
15-05-2015, 12:04 PM
(15-05-2015 11:07 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  It may be illegal, but that doesn't stop it. They just don't advertise. They just say "Thanks, Mr Atheist. We'll let you know". And, of course, they can choose to say "No".

Asking that question in a job interview is illegal. The interviewer will not know your status as an atheist unless you go out of your way to make it known; and even then, you are protected under the law if you can demonstrate that your atheism is the reason for your not being hired.

(15-05-2015 11:07 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  But the pictures Dunkleweizen is showing a few posts back don't support the idea that these attitudes are nation-wide.

I wasn't arguing that they are. I was pointing out to Abaris that religious discrimination is illegal in America. There is legal recourse available to those who have suffered it.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-05-2015, 05:07 PM
RE: Reply to the tired, old...
(15-05-2015 12:04 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Asking that question in a job interview is illegal. The interviewer will not know your status as an atheist unless you go out of your way to make it known; and even then, you are protected under the law if you can demonstrate that your atheism is the reason for your not being hired.

Your first link illustrates what I was thinking but is much more articulate than my formulation. I was thinking potential employers might ask questions such as "Tell us your personal view of the world". If you wish to hide your atheism, you could easily do so whereas a xtian might wish to wax lyrically about Jeebus. That might be advantageous.

I'm an Aussie living in Holland. In both countries, the football team I support is probably more important than my religious belief. But I've read posts on TTA and other sites about atheists having to "keep quiet" in certain parts of the world. And we get events such as the atheist blogger being killed in Bangladesh. I can't understand how people can act that way.
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
15-05-2015, 05:12 PM
(15-05-2015 11:06 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(15-05-2015 10:34 AM)natachan Wrote:  It might be illegal, but shocker of shockers people break the law. I have nearly lost my job once because one of the managers knew I was an atheist and was out to get me fired. Cops won't go after people who slash my tires if they did it for religious reasons. And if you read posts I've put up here you know that my university treats me differently because I'm an atheist (read the post I made about the preacher who was thrown off campus for insulting a Muslim girl, but not for threatening me).

Of course people break the law. Now, if you're interested in remedying that, give the ACLU a call; they will find you representation and you can handle your business.

Or, you can post about it online, which will surely bring about change, and from the comfort of your armchair.

I sense sarcasm. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post