Reporter Arrested for asking HHS Secretary Questions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Reporter Arrested for asking HHS Secretary Questions
From my home state of West Virginia (why can it still not make the news for good reasons, even after I moved); a reporter was arrested by WV Capitol Police while trying to ask visiting Health and Human Services Secretary Price questions about health care.

Quote:In a day of truly cinematic developments from the executive branch, one nearly slipped by. Journalist Dan Heyman, a producer for Public News Service, approached Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price and his colleague Kellyanne Conway at the capitol building in West Virginia to ask them a question about the American Health Care Act. A few minutes later, he was arrested.

Preliminary eye-witness reports suggest that capitol police were unaware Heyman was a member of the press. He was reportedly detained after getting too close to Price and Conway. Heyman was charged with "willful destruction of state government processes" by the capitol police and held in a regional jail for several hours. He was released on $5,000 bond.

ACLU-WV legal director Jamie Lynn Crofts addressed reporters on the steps of the West Virginia capitol building around 8:45pm. "Our First Amendment rights are under attack every day, particularly from the Trump administration. And it's not surprising to me that an incident like this would happen when a reporter tried to ask a question of a member of the Trump administration," Crofts said. "They have shown us every day since Donald Trump took office that they don't care about the First Amendment, or the free press. Today was just another example of that. It's horrifying."

Upon his release around10:30pm, Heyman and his lawyer Tim DiPiero spoke to reporters. "I think it's dreadful. This is my job!" Heyman said.

In a statement to Esquire.com, Heyman's editor Lark Corbeil said:

"Dan was simply exercising his rights as protected by the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. It's a concern that there seems to be an antipathy towards the press. An arrest for a reporter doing his job is clearly unnecessary."

Mini press conference inside the link by Heyman's attorney.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
10-05-2017, 09:48 AM
RE: Reporter Arrested for asking HHS Secretary Questions
Well, yes.

A while back, the POTUS was commenting about how the job of being President was harder than he thought it would be. During these comments he said a single thing that has stayed with me ... he said, "...and we found there are many arcane laws in place that make things more difficult...".

Hm.

I take it these "arcane laws" must be our mysterious freedoms and secret rights. Wink

The question is: will those arcane laws be systematically stripped away? Or will they just be ignored into extinction? Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
10-05-2017, 09:23 PM
(10-05-2017 09:48 AM)kim Wrote:  Well, yes.

A while back, the POTUS was commenting about how the job of being President was harder than he thought it would be. During these comments he said a single thing that has stayed with me ... he said, "...and we found there are many arcane laws in place that make things more difficult...".

Hm.

I take it these "arcane laws" must be our mysterious freedoms and secret rights. Wink

The question is: will those arcane laws be systematically stripped away? Or will they just be ignored into extinction? Shy

And meanwhile, too many Americans continue to shrug off news of this wannabe tyrant's machinations and continue to act as if political correctness is destroying the country.

I am living in a dystopian novel.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. (G.B.Shaw)
[+] 6 users Like Vivian Darkbloom's post
10-05-2017, 10:11 PM
(10-05-2017 09:48 AM)kim Wrote:  Well, yes.

Hm.

Yeah. That Constitution is sooooo arcane. Magna Carta too!
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
10-05-2017, 11:15 PM
“That gentleman was not in a press conference.” - Tom Price's response

Seems that the guy got close enough that he started bumping into Secret Service agents. Never a good idea.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus