Reporter suspended for defending evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Reporter suspended for defending evolution
The reason ESPN reporter Keith Law got suspended last week was stupid: He defended the theory of evolution on Twitter, kindly and calmly, to his co-worker, creationist Curt Schilling, and ESPN punished him for it. The reason he’s probably going to be suspended again? Sheer awesomeness.

As “Addicting Info” reported earlier, Law stepped into what was an hours-long anti-evolution rant by Schilling on Twitter and managed to quickly make the former pitcher look like an idiot. Schilling was dead set on disproving evolution using a selection of creationism’s greatest hits. If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys? Where’s the missing link? Okay, but where’s the other missing links? You weren’t there!

Law, who aside from reporting on baseball seems to know his stuff about science, was happy to clue Schilling in.

article below

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/11/28/...r-to-espn/

This guy is my newest hero!

ESPN = Extra Sensory Perception Network

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 14 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: Reporter suspended for defending evolution
Yeah, I shared that on FB earlier and got into a little argument with a YEC about it. It really pisses me off that these idiots use "Freedom of religion" to mean a "License to be ignorant." Then when you try to correct them, you're an asshole and insensitive.

Schilling should have been fired for spreading his agenda on twitter.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 2 users Like microterf's post
29-11-2014, 09:29 AM
I want a plane ticket out of stupid land please.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 6 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
29-11-2014, 09:52 AM
The reason he was suspended was because he was arguing with one of their celebrity talking heads who then bitched to his handlers. The subject of the argument is inconsequential it's the fact that he corrected the famous guy publicly. Nepotism not anti-intellectualism is what is being shown here.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 9 users Like Revenant77x's post
29-11-2014, 10:09 AM
One of my goals when dealing face-to-face with arguments like these is to keep it very simple and visual if possible (I’m partial to visual explanations).

Let’s take argument #1 of creationism’s greatest hits.

If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?

I draw a straight line across the paper from left to right. At this point I explain that for their argument to make sense there could only be one single life form on the planet since they argue that each previous life form disappeared and led us to humans. I ask them to look around and notice that there are millions of life forms on the planet so this can’t be the correct answer.

I then slowly explain how even within the human species there are very obvious differences. This happens gradually over thousands of generations. Why are there Caucasians, Mongoloids and Negroids I ask? Why don’t we all look the same? If the linear thinking was correct the Negroid would have given way to the Mongoloid who in turn would have given way to the Caucaisian but yet we have all three living side by side. (I try not to baffle them too much by explaining that in spite of our morphological differences we are still the same species as per our DNA). What could then explain this?

Below the straight line I sketch out a branching tree.
I then try to explain how within each species subtle variations occur over time. One group will go in one direction and another group will go in another direction (I leave out the whys and causes for now). This doesn’t happen all at once in one fell swoop. Because the process is so slow AND, believe it or not, continues to happen to this day, it is impossible to mark the exact point where one group diverged from the other. This brings us to...

Where’s the missing link? Okay, but where’s the other missing links?

In the fossil record there are great examples of transitional species. Is seeing not believing? (At this point , if necessary, I attept to explain how fossils are formed, how rare they are and this leads to geology and at that point I usually lose them).

You weren’t there!
That applies to the creation myth of your religion so if you can use this argument then so can I.

I’m sure I could do better but explaining complicated concepts simply is not easy. My only hope is that it makes them think and deflate their “gotcha atheist” moment.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Re: Reporter suspended for defending evolution
I'm not a sports guy, so I honestly have no idea who either of these guys are. But from the tiny bit I've read, I agree with Rev. It's more nepotism and a money issue. I don't disagree with the reporter, but ESPN was more interested in keeping its money makers happy.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
29-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Rev and clockwork are probably right. It's just unfortunate that no matter the reason he is actually being suspended... It kind of sends a message anyway. Not a good one Undecided

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
29-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Eppur si muove.

Best response ever! Thumbsup

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
29-11-2014, 01:13 PM
(29-11-2014 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Eppur si muove.

I’ve always wanted a tattoo but I haven’t considered anything seriously until this moment.

[+] 7 users Like Full Circle's post
29-11-2014, 01:22 PM
(29-11-2014 01:13 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(29-11-2014 01:11 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Eppur si muove.

I’ve always wanted a tattoo but I haven’t considered anything seriously until this moment.

Me too. Big Grin

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus