Republican Platform

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Republican Platform
The 2016 platform of the Republican Party, recently ratified at the RNC, has been widely panned as the most repressively conservative platform of the last half century. Amongst its more interesting planks are:
  • "One mommy, one daddy" family values including reversing the Supreme Court's ruling on gay marriage and protecting businesses and organizations that discriminate based on their religious views (p 32).
  • Promoting the Bible in the literature curriculum of American high schools (p 33) and public display of the Ten Commandments (p 12).
  • Abstinence-only sex ed while defunding of school-based clinics providing contraceptives (p 34).
  • Defunding Planned Parenthood (p 13 )and prohibitting abortion after 20 weeks (p 14).
  • More chaplains in the Armed Forces but no women in combat (p 43).
  • Promoting coal as a "clean" energy source (p 19) and categorically rejecting any carbon tax, the Kyoto Protocol, the Paris Agreement and the UNFCCC (p 22).
  • A variety of anti-immigation policies of which the centerpiece is Trump's Mexican border wall (p 26).
Aside from being generally appaulled, I'm wondering what gives with this. Clearly there's little in this platform to attract the centrist voters and plenty to repel them. What's the strategy here?

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
19-07-2016, 05:15 PM
RE: Republican Platform
I seriously doubt the original is that clear cut.................

The "party platforms" of both parties are highly convoluted, and tend to take no side whatsoever on ANY subject..............................

They don't take clear stands - because you can only lose votes that way...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
19-07-2016, 05:28 PM
(19-07-2016 05:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I seriously doubt the original is that clear cut.................

The "party platforms" of both parties are highly convoluted, and tend to take no side whatsoever on ANY subject..............................

That's the link from the GOP webpage labelled "Click here to read through the full platform." I like my primary sources.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
19-07-2016, 05:31 PM
You forgot the most important part:

"We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a natural inalienable right that predates the Constitution and is secured by the Second Amendment. Lawful gun ownership enables Americans to exercise their God-given right of self- defense for the safety of their homes, their loved ones, and their communities.

We salute the Republican Congress for defending the right to keep and bear arms by preventing the President from installing a new liberal majority on the Supreme Court. ….

We oppose ill-conceived laws that would restrict magazine capacity or ban the sale of the most popular and common modern rifle. We also oppose any effort to deprive individuals of their right to keep and bear arms without due process of law."

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
19-07-2016, 05:37 PM
(19-07-2016 05:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I seriously doubt the original is that clear cut.................

After reading it, I fear that its indeed pretty clear cut on all those issues. Of course, they are dressed up in a more acceptable manner, but its extremely clear. There is a reason why they loose 50% or so of the votes all the time and can only clearly have the support of 30% of the population at all time.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
19-07-2016, 05:40 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2016 05:50 PM by GirlyMan.)
(19-07-2016 05:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  "We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a natural inalienable right that predates the Constitution ....

The fuck you mean by a "natural inalienable right"? Some sorta God-given right? The only natural inalienable right I can think of is suicide. I don't think you've thought this through or even considered it carefully.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
19-07-2016, 05:47 PM
(19-07-2016 05:31 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You forgot the most important part:

"We uphold the right of individuals to keep and bear arms, a natural inalienable right that predates the Constitution and is secured by the Second Amendment. Lawful gun ownership enables Americans to exercise their God-given right of self- defense for the safety of their homes, their loved ones, and their communities.

We salute the Republican Congress for defending the right to keep and bear arms by preventing the President from installing a new liberal majority on the Supreme Court. ….

We oppose ill-conceived laws that would restrict magazine capacity or ban the sale of the most popular and common modern rifle. We also oppose any effort to deprive individuals of their right to keep and bear arms without due process of law."

While I consider this stances ridicule and antiquated, I think that it's one of the least objectionable, especially compared to all those cited by the OP, each of which are worst the the last (so to speak).

[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
19-07-2016, 05:48 PM
(19-07-2016 05:37 PM)epronovost Wrote:  

After reading it, I fear that its indeed pretty clear cut on all those issues. Of course, they are dressed up in a more acceptable manner, but its extremely clear. There is a reason why they loose 50% or so of the votes all the time and can only clearly have the support of 30% of the population at all time.

You should check the scoreboard.

Republicans have mopped up all across the country for the last 8 years. You are majorly uninformed on politics. Democrats are being crushed nation wide in state and local elections, as well as federally in the congress. Just because they've lost the presidency for two elections doesn't mean the country hasn't fled from the policies of the left.

Republicans have gained over 900 seats in state legislatures (70% of all legislatures), gained 12 states to make the total 32 with Republican governors, 69 seats in the house, 13 in the Senate.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
19-07-2016, 05:59 PM
(19-07-2016 05:48 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You should check the scoreboard.

Republicans have mopped up all across the country for the last 8 years. You are majorly uninformed on politics. Democrats are being crushed nation wide in state and local elections, as well as federally in the congress. Just because they've lost the presidency for two elections doesn't mean the country hasn't fled from the policies of the left.

Republicans have gained over 900 seats in state legislatures (70% of all legislatures), gained 12 states to make the total 32 with Republican governors, 69 seats in the house, 13 in the Senate.

Then why the fuck are you so fucking pissed if you're winning? Are you just naturally nasty and angry?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-07-2016, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2016 06:09 PM by epronovost.)
(19-07-2016 05:48 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  You should check the scoreboard.

Except my comment wasn't linked to how much they win, but more about their support in the general public. Sure, the Republican win elections relatively regularly, even more often than democrats except that while this may be true, you forget that in all those elections there were a significant portion of the population who disagree and didn't voted for them. Furthermore, republicans hold most of these victories to the support of independant voters who might have voted for reasons that have nothing to do with the GOP social agenda (like its the case on most of these exemples), but for their fiscal policies, provide counter power to the president in place, or even the personnality of the candidate.