Republican mandate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2017, 08:02 PM
RE: Republican mandate
I have no time to verify any of this. Still it's definitely more complicated than the simplistic arithmetic LDH presents here. An Illinois Republican is a very different creature from the analogue from Kentucky for instance. Not all Republicans are impervious to a well constructed argument.

Many of these legislatures are probably in the same sparsely populated region that is red on almost every election map. If that is the case, it still tells us nothing about who is supporting the Republicans besides the fact that they enjoy wide distribution and dominance in sparsely populated rural areas. More importantly it does not mean that more Americans support Republicans.

Again, I got no time to verify any of this information other than to state confidently that LDH's arithmetic is overly simplistic.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
19-01-2017, 08:06 PM
I'm just going to start referring to the far right as the "Dark Side". They seem intent on doing everything they can to damage this country.
19-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Republican Man Date =

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
19-01-2017, 08:12 PM
(19-01-2017 08:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm just going to start referring to the far right as the "Dark Side". They seem intent on doing everything they can to damage this country.

If Trump suddenly started shooting force lightning out of his ass and using Jedi telekinesis to grab pussies from a distance, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be tempted to go to the dark side to learn his secrets.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
19-01-2017, 08:13 PM
(19-01-2017 07:28 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Twas the Night Before Inauguration!

Twas the night before Inauguration, and up in the tower,
The Donald reflected on his newfound power.
The conservative masses had come out in force,
And delivered a victory that would chart a new course.

The snowflakes were shell-shocked with tears in their eyes,
The media lied to them . . . What a surprise.
They had been promised a Hillary win,
But the criminal Clinton took one on the chin.
And though from all corners celebrities flew,
They made no impression, for they hadn’t a clue.
They talked about climate, racism, and such,
And they made up good stories . . . But didn’t know much.
The fake news and ignorance came at a cost,
And they can’t understand all the reasons they lost.
They blame it on Comey and Bernie and Vlad,
But fail to acknowledge the one that was bad.

Yes, Hillary Clinton, in many ways flawed,
Was her own biggest hurdle toward getting the nod.
The campaign exposed her corruptness and greed,
And her speeches were punch-less as ten dollar weed.

So out in the streets there arose such a clatter,
It was Soros-paid protestors and Black Lives Matter.
With cities to pillage and windows to smash,
They knew not the issues, but needed the cash.
Eight years of Obama had given them cause,
To expect a replacement of their Santa Claus.
But soon the protestors will feel the pain,
When the wheels fall off of the old gravy train.

And now all the snowflakes are riddled with fear,
Upset and offended by things that they’ll hear.
The cocoa and crayons will help for a while,
But fact-based opinions will soon cramp their style.
I originally supported, and voted, for Cruz,
In the end, I would vote for whoever they choose.
He wasn’t my first choice, but soon I would cede,
The one they call Trump is the one that we need.

I saw him on TV in front of a crowd,
He spoke about veterans, it made me feel proud.
He spoke about energy, safety, and jobs,
Taking this country back from the Washington snobs.

He was dressed in Armani, all tailored and neat,
And the Brunos he wore made the outfit complete.
For a man of his vintage, he seemed rather fit,
And he looked presidential, I have to admit.

His eyes glowed like embers, his smile was the best,
And his hair was the color of my old hunting vest.
His love for this country was on full display,
And his actions spoke louder than his words could say.
He thanked all his voters, and before he was gone,
Saved thousands of jobs while Obama looked on.
The fate of this country left nothing to chance,
So, he filled out his cabinet weeks in advance.

The men he had chosen were of the same mind,
Let’s set the bar high, and not lead from behind.
He picked up his phone as he rose from his seat,
With a flick of his finger, he sent out this tweet;
“Now Mattis!, now Kelly!’ now Sessions! And Pruitt!
On Perry! On Flynn, You’re the ones who can do it.
Start lifting restrictions and building the wall,

Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!”;
The roar of his audience rose from the stands,
He kissed all their babies and shook all their hands.
He answered their questions and calmed all their fears,
They knew it would be a fantastic four years.
Then he jumped in his limo, and off to his jet,
A fellow that Liberals won’t soon forget.
He sent one more tweet as the evening expired;
“Happy Inauguration to all,
AND OBAMA – YOU’RE FIRED!”

[Image: aptopix_obama_guns.jpg?quality=65&am...;amp;w=620]
19-01-2017, 09:23 PM
Republican mandate
(19-01-2017 08:10 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Republican Man Date =

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Quit being homophobic.
20-01-2017, 07:46 AM
For all the incessant trolliing LDH tends to do, he's got a point: like it or not, right-wing "hateriotism" has succeeded in supplanting good government.

Now we have to ask why.

My theory is three-fold:
  1. The failure of supply-side economics. Since the Reagan era, supply-side economics has been the go-to plan; that is, lower corporate taxes and the benefits will trickle down to the workers. But it didn't work out like that. Now corporations are making more money than ever before but they're not hiring more workers, they're off-shoring jobs and automating their factories.
  2. Mass migration of people due, at least in part, to climate change. Much of the genesis for the Arab Spring came about because of spiking food prices which were caused by climate change. This led to unrest and instability and has resulted in the mass migration of people from affected areas. This movement led, in turn, to a siege mentality in the West and the rise of leaders like the populist Trump, Le Pen and others. If the climate-change deniers had failed and substantial measures were taken to mitigate the CO2 problem, this mass migration of people would probably not be an issue and these populist leaders would have not got much traction. While I don't smell conspiracy here, I do think it's ironic that the prime driver in nationalism - the siege mentality - was caused by climate change deniers, the very same ones that gained from the siege mentality.
  3. The rise of the alt-right and fake news. Sites like the fake-news purveyor Infowars and Brietbart and, to a lesser degree, Fox, have been very successful in whipping up nationalistic fervour amongst the low-information crowd. It's very easy and manipulative to get people excited and upset and get them to vote an particular way when one panders to the lowest common denominator, even when it's against their best interests. Interest in military rule, even in the US, is growing at an alarming rate. Poll finds almost a third of Americans would support a military coup This, to my mind, is a direct result of right-wing fake news outlets that spew all sorts of lies, from Obama being born in Kenya to Hillary having Parkinsons to Jade Helm being a Democrat plan to take over Texas to chemtrails to 9/11 conspiracies to Obama planning to cancel the election etc etc etc etc.
There are more reasons, of course, but from what I've studied these seem to be the main drivers.

Now, what to do to counter the rise in nationalistic hate is another question altogether.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
21-01-2017, 02:31 AM
(19-01-2017 04:34 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Republicans now control:

68 of 98 state legislative chambers

4,170 of 7,383 available legislative seats

Full legislative control in 33 states (democrats only 13)

32 of 50 governors

25 states with trifecta power (governor and legislature, democrats have only 6)

the U.S. Senate

the U.S. House of Representatives

the U.S. Presidency

Plus, Trump has 104 federal court appointments to fill (Obama had 53 in comparison).

Think about this: Republicans need only one more state legislature pickup to be able to hold a convention of states. They have 33 state legislatures but need 34 to alter the constitution. If they pickup one more state in the midterms they could do things like:

Ban gay marriage.
Ban abortion.
End birthright citizenship.
Update the 2nd amendment with modern terminology and expand gun rights.
Stop all forms of immigration.
Make english our national language.
Mandatory voter I.D.
Force liberal judges off the supreme court by adding the ability to impeach justices.
And so much more.

Of course they need a few more states to help ratify, but I'm sure we could get it done if we threaten to withold federal funding or something.

Drooling

We are truly living in great times.
Are these a things you desire or a thing you just notice as things "traditionally" being Victorian/50s Era "good" morals being in control of other people is a positive desire?

I get the types of your mindset so focused on gunfights out of the American driven landscape but when atheists seem proud of religiosity and religious influenced legislation I'm not sure why they view them hand in hand as glorious for them.

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
21-01-2017, 03:46 AM
(20-01-2017 07:46 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Now, what to do to counter the rise in nationalistic hate is another question altogether.

I don't think that much could be done, or maybe much could be done but effectiveness of it is something that is in question. You can try to show in what nationalism ultimately can result but if people feel like victims then it will amount to nothing. Shamed by subscribing to such nonsense idea of national superiority they will only deep digger in search for justification, or start to claim that this other nationalism was bad and their is good and just.

For me it is not nationalistic hate that is the problem but nationalism itself - vacuous idea that you're the best cause your parents happened to fuck in country x. As long as people will be proud of something in which they had no part it will be easy to whip at least some of them in frenzy by convenient scapegoats such like immigrants or un-patriotic citizens.

Nationalism is great vehicle for violence so when you it exists then nationalistic hate isn't far away

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-01-2017, 03:59 AM
(19-01-2017 04:34 PM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  Republicans now control:

68 of 98 state legislative chambers

4,170 of 7,383 available legislative seats

Full legislative control in 33 states (democrats only 13)

32 of 50 governors

25 states with trifecta power (governor and legislature, democrats have only 6)

the U.S. Senate

the U.S. House of Representatives

the U.S. Presidency

Plus, Trump has 104 federal court appointments to fill (Obama had 53 in comparison).

Think about this: Republicans need only one more state legislature pickup to be able to hold a convention of states. They have 33 state legislatures but need 34 to alter the constitution. If they pickup one more state in the midterms they could do things like:

Ban gay marriage.
Ban abortion.
End birthright citizenship.
Update the 2nd amendment with modern terminology and expand gun rights.
Stop all forms of immigration.
Make english our national language.
Mandatory voter I.D.
Force liberal judges off the supreme court by adding the ability to impeach justices.
And so much more.

Of course they need a few more states to help ratify, but I'm sure we could get it done if we threaten to withold federal funding or something.

Drooling

We are truly living in great times.

Obvious party stooge is obvious.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.