Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2017, 10:00 PM
RE: Reputation
(05-12-2017 09:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 08:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is not a cultural text, it is a religious text. Drinking Beverage

Yes, but religion comes from the culture that spawned it. I chose the term "cultural" text because the thread I created is based on the sociological insights* of the Jewish people and not the divinity of a deity Drinking Beverage

*as well as the historical and literary insights of biblical scholars.

And the culture comes from the religious text. They are inextricable.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2017, 10:20 PM
(05-12-2017 10:00 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-12-2017 09:02 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Yes, but religion comes from the culture that spawned it. I chose the term "cultural" text because the thread I created is based on the sociological insights* of the Jewish people and not the divinity of a deity Drinking Beverage

*as well as the historical and literary insights of biblical scholars.

And the culture comes from the religious text. They are inextricable.

But the culture came first. Then the religion, which is a reflection of the culture. But again, yes it is a religious text...but *I chose* to use cultural text because my thread is based on sociological insights and not divine ones. It was a personal choice of wordage given the topic of my thread.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-12-2017, 11:29 PM
The culture is the chicken?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
06-12-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm on another forum where you can only have a positive reputation, based on participation. The point is well made, despite the OP being a the- or de- ist. This forum is about free-thinking. All should be welcome. Using a barometer encourages bullying, not free debate. This forum should stay away from mechanisms which encourage "group" behavior, throwing Piggy off the cliff, and the rest get a plus one for making a funny remark as Piggy bounces off the rocks. Most of us come here because we are tired of being on the outside of a group, and we think of ourselves as smarter, so we should be happy that we can talk and our ideas themselves should show who we are, not a score card. People who engage in broadsided and insulting ad hominem attacks here often seem to have very high reputations, which are simply not deserved for that kind of behavior.

I'm not saying get rid of it, but, if this forum doesn't bring in the/deists it's going to be a boring place. Having a debate,testing your ideas is a good thing and the reputation thingy is discouraging, speaking as someone who has had a negative rap most of the time I've been here.
[+] 3 users Like Deltabravo's post
06-12-2017, 10:43 AM
I can promise you Delta that I most certainly don't consider myself smarter, quite the reverse, I get your point though. However some of the piggies we get here definitely deserve to be thrown off the cliff. The trouble is with this guy is he came out with the most specious shit that was total codswallop and really condescending, and while a newcomer should be valued most have the good manners to learn the forum and participate with decorum and become established in the community and this fellow didn't. Its been my experience here that no one is ritually abused per se if they comport themselves properly acknowledge points argue honestly do not insult peoples intelligence etc. Also people here are generally quite forgiving, I've seen dick members turn over a new leaf and get on really well here turning negative to positive in fairly short order. Piggy isn't generally thrown off the cliff for having different opinions or being different, piggy is usually thrown off the cliff for being a dick, same in most communities virtual or real life.
[+] 4 users Like adey67's post
06-12-2017, 11:24 AM
Funny enough being a Theist or Deist does not automatically cause people to neg rep you, in fact some of our highest repped members are Theists, Kingschosen and Shai Hulud spring immediately to mind but there have been others. In fact a well spoken honest believer generally speaking will get 20+ rep in their first couple of days from people just happy to have a real discussion rather than being preached at in bad faith. Lie copy-paste well disproven bullshit talk past people and you will get negged regardless of your Metaphysics.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
06-12-2017, 11:33 AM
(06-12-2017 09:45 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  ...Having a debate,testing your ideas is a good thing and the reputation thingy is discouraging, speaking as someone who has had a negative rap most of the time I've been here.

And having had this little whinge, you need to reassess your past responses, and consider exactly why you have 13 negs versus only 18 positives. Or is your complaint really that you reckon you've been "bullied"?

I don't really care one way or the other what rep I have at any particular time—it goes up... it goes down. That's life. So why are you so upset about the way the rep works here? Are you truly that thin-skinned, particularly on a public forum? No

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
06-12-2017, 11:44 AM
(06-12-2017 11:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 09:45 AM)Deltabravo Wrote:  ...Having a debate,testing your ideas is a good thing and the reputation thingy is discouraging, speaking as someone who has had a negative rap most of the time I've been here.

And having had this little whinge, you need to reassess your past responses, and consider exactly why you have 13 negs versus only 18 positives. Or is your complaint really that you reckon you've been "bullied"?

I don't really care one way or the other what rep I have at any particular time—it goes up... it goes down. That's life. So why are you so upset about the way the rep works here? Are you truly that thin-skinned, particularly on a public forum? No

I don't think that he said that he was all that upset. In fact, I would say that his post was pretty calm. Delta doesn't seem to be thin-skinned to me. He is just making a point-- calmly.

I sometimes have passionate arguments with myself that almost come to blows.
06-12-2017, 12:03 PM
(06-12-2017 11:44 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  
(06-12-2017 11:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  And having had this little whinge, you need to reassess your past responses, and consider exactly why you have 13 negs versus only 18 positives. Or is your complaint really that you reckon you've been "bullied"?

I don't think that he said that he was all that upset. In fact, I would say that his post was pretty calm. Delta doesn't seem to be thin-skinned to me. He is just making a point-- calmly.
Delta is ok, I don't agree with all of his points but I think he made them respectfully and calmly too.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
08-12-2017, 12:31 AM
(06-12-2017 11:44 AM)Yonadav Kenyon Wrote:  I don't think that he said that he was all that upset. In fact, I would say that his post was pretty calm. Delta doesn't seem to be thin-skinned to me. He is just making a point-- calmly.

I interpreted it that he, personally, was upset with the rep system. After all, he implied this by saying; " ...and the reputation thingy is discouraging, speaking as someone who has had a negative rap most of the time I've been here".

I certainly don't read this as being happy with the rep system—from his perspective. His last phrase sounds like sour grapes to me.

I also note that it's only people with extra-low or negative reps that ever post a complaint about the rep system, and/or why they disagree with it, or think it's unfair in some way. They need to ask themselves why their rep is that way inclined, and not blame other people or the system for low or neg reps.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 4 users Like SYZ's post