Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2017, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2017 09:53 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: Reputation
(27-11-2017 07:52 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(27-11-2017 07:43 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Speak your mind and let the chips fall where they may. I haven't read many of your posts (because generally I find religious debate useless), so I can't give you insight into why your rep is sinking and not climbing. Some folks negrep for disagreement, no matter how cogent it is. Some folks neg because their interlocutor was being an ass, or obtuse, or dishonest. Some folks give negs because they just don't like how you say what you're saying. And no doubt there's more reasons.

i say don't worry about it. Post as you will, take your lumps, and listen to others. It works for me. I don't agree with everyone I like, nor do I like everyone I agree with. I just try to be civil (and most of the time succeed) when disagreeing; I find that goes a long ways towards earning respect even from those who dislike what I'm writing.

I only neg repped someone once and that's because they were being mean to Aliza (who happens to be a theist, DP, and she was attacked by an atheist troll on here). Other than that, I stay away from the religious debate typically as well--mostly because it's like been there done that--and as you say, oftentimes it's useless. Also, many times, I think some just come on here to troll and don't even believe half the shit they are actually saying. So it's like why bother, imo.

Anyway, I think you hit the mark exactly when you said it's about respect. I find if you treat people with respect (on here and irl) people are more open to hearing what you have to say. I don't know if this was the case with DP because as I say, I haven't talked to him or her on here, etc.

I also think the reps system is kind of ridiculous in general. I've had people I talk to on here pm me and ask how come they don't have higher reps. I think it really bothers them because they are nice members. But imo, it's like who the fuck cares? Tongue

repped

Seriously, though, I think worrying about reputation points is a little too D&D for me ... attaining this or that level, y'know? I log in because I like talking to people, not because I'm wanting approval (not saying the OP is). And I always keep in mind that the other person in the conversation is a real human being. If I get rude -- and lord knows I have, often enough -- it says as much about me as it does about them. There are, however, a couple of folks who just cannot buy my time anymore, based on past exchanges. They do get scorn, and I got no apologies fr it.

One big reason I hang out here is that the good majority of denizens here are able to discuss disagreements without being cunts.

Rep doesn't matter nearly as much as who you are.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-11-2017, 10:21 PM
(27-11-2017 04:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't seem to have a problem here. Perhaps your approach is rubbing people the wrong way. Can you link us to some examples of your posts where you think you should have made a positive impact but instead received negative backlash?

I was thinking much the same. Granted, I've not interacting with him more than to sort of tilt my head at the screen at times, but otherwise... (we apparently lack a shrug smilie)

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
27-11-2017, 10:29 PM
(27-11-2017 10:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-11-2017 04:49 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't seem to have a problem here. Perhaps your approach is rubbing people the wrong way. Can you link us to some examples of your posts where you think you should have made a positive impact but instead received negative backlash?

I was thinking much the same. Granted, I've not interacting with him more than to sort of tilt my head at the screen at times, but otherwise... (we apparently lack a shrug smilie)

Looking for this? [Image: dk8tMAx.gif?zoom=2]

Personally I think this one would be more apropos [Image: lEQ6YL0.gif?zoom=2]
or this one
[Image: AwBbeVx.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
27-11-2017, 10:30 PM
(27-11-2017 10:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(27-11-2017 10:21 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I was thinking much the same. Granted, I've not interacting with him more than to sort of tilt my head at the screen at times, but otherwise... (we apparently lack a shrug smilie)

Looking for this? [Image: dk8tMAx.gif?zoom=2]

Personally I think this one would be more apropos [Image: lEQ6YL0.gif?zoom=2]
or this one
[Image: AwBbeVx.gif?zoom=2]

That was exactly the one I was looking for! Didn't realize it wasn't hosted on the site, but on Imgur instead.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-11-2017, 10:33 PM
(27-11-2017 08:00 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Dude reminds me of blowme

The only thing clever about him was his username. Drinking Beverage

This dude doesn’t even have that going for him

How did I know this was gonna be a bitch fest by someone with a neg overall rep? Boring troll is boring.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 6 users Like Revenant77x's post
28-11-2017, 01:37 AM
(27-11-2017 04:50 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  And we also get atheists with many negative reputation points.

And the last person who got banned was an atheist as well iirc.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
28-11-2017, 01:56 AM
(27-11-2017 04:27 PM)drewpaul Wrote:  As a vocal and articulate theist I will continue to get nothing but negative reputation that I don't think is deserved. I'm only giving as good as I'm taking. At this rate it will be negative 50 what point does that serve?

I'm tempted to neg rep you just for the simple fact that you don't seem to understand how reputation works. If you were to run around like a twat in the real world you would get the reputation of a twat. You ran about like a twat in this forum and now you have the reputation of a twat.

That is exactly how reputation works, and as a solid example of why it's deserved is the fact you started a poor me cry baby post. Twat in twat out, it's a simple system of exchange really.

Kneel mortal before Whiskey I, Lord of Dalmore, Duke of Jameson, Defender of the Sloshed, and God-Emperor of Holy Terra.
[+] 7 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
28-11-2017, 02:16 AM
(27-11-2017 05:12 PM)julep Wrote:  -50 would be quite an accomplishment, actually.

Go for it!

We have the utmost confidence in you!
28-11-2017, 03:07 AM
I suspect your rep rating has something to do with you being troll/fool. But whine away at unfairness of it and feel free to think yourself martyr.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
28-11-2017, 03:47 AM
(27-11-2017 05:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  At -66 you beat TrainWreck's record. TrainWreck is my friend so I won't let that happen. Smile

Challenge accepted! Thumbsup

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post