Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
03-08-2013, 06:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 07:08 PM by kingschosen.)
One of most frequent questions from new members I've gotten over my tenure as a mod/super mod/admin is about TTA's reputation system.

"What is it?"

Reputation is "Cliff's Notes" of a user, if you will. It gives an overview of that member's presence on the forum. Most users can be identified like this:

1) A high positive rep (+50 and up) usually means that member has been on the forum for a long period of time and has contributed positively to the site. They usually have a high post count of several thousands. Their overall presence is seen as good.

2) A member with a medium amount of positive rep (+20 to +49) usually means the user has been on the site for a moderate amount of time and are seen as a positive presence.

3) A member with a lower positive rep (+5 to +19) usually means that they are relatively new to the site but have made a positive impression on the other forum members.

4) A member with no rep usually means that they are a rare poster and have never made an impression on anyone on the site.

5) A member with a considerable amount of rep yet only has a low positive/negative rep score (-3 to +3) is usually considered one of the most interesting/controversial members on the site. Public opinion is usually split and their overall forum presence and can vary from person to person.

6) A member with a low negative rep (-4 to -9) is more than likely a newer member to the site and their forum presence has been a "troll" or a nuisance. Their overall presence is seen as negative and annoying.

7) A member with a considerable amount of negative rep (-10 to -19) is almost always seen as a "troll" or a "poe". Their opinions and posts usually incite anger or disgust. Most members see them as an obnoxious and negative presence on the forum.

8) A member with a high negative rep (-20 and up) are few and far between, but they do exist. They are usually seen as seasoned trolls and are almost disliked by the entire forum. They have been around for a long time inciting scorn, anger, and disgust from numerous members of the community. Their overall presence is seen in a highly negative light.

Reputation has also been known to cause discontent. This is an unfortunate side effect of the system, so it's important to use consideration when repping someone. Rep can serve as a permanent badge of honor or a permanent blemish.

Mods and admins have a complete "hands off" approach towards reputation. It is not altered in any way by members of the forum team.

The next question I get is:

"How do I give rep?"

First, a "New Member" cannot give rep until they become a "Member". Likewise, a member that has a negative rep and has never broken the positive rep plane cannot give rep until their reputation becomes positive.

As far as distributing rep goes, there are a couple of ways. The easiest way is clicking on that person's name to go to their profile. Next to their numerical reputation score is a "Rate" link. Click the link to rate. The next way is viewing that person's reputation screen by either clicking their rep number in a post or clicking "Details" in their profile next to the reputation score. Once in the reputation screen, you can click the "Rate" button located in the top right of the screen.

Another question I get is:

"Why and how should I give rep?"

Like I said earlier, it serves as a quick indicator of what to expect from that poster. Giving reputation also shows participation on the forum.

You can give reputation in any way you see fit. However, it's usually given based on that member's way of interacting and communicating with others. Giving reputation that is solely based on a person's religious/lack of religious belief is usually seen as uncouth by other members.

Lastly, reputuation is usually reciprocal, so again, be considerate when distributing rep.

The last question I get is:

"Why can't I give any more rep, and why can they [various members] give more than one rep per person?"

Each person can only give a certain amount of rep per 24 hours. If you can't give any more rep, wait 24 hours to give your next reputation.

You can only distribute a single rep score per person; however, members with various statuses (Vet, Mod, Admin, etc) can give a higher number to a single person. The most common rep distribution is a single point per person, whether it's negative, neutral, or positive.

Speaking of, those are the three options when giving rep.

1) Positive - usually given when you view that person in a positive way.
2) Neutral- usually given to someone that you are unsure about or they have done some things that you equally liked and disliked.
3) Negative - usually given when you view that person in a negative way.

When giving reputation, you must comment in the comment section. Use this to explain your reputation or say whatever you feel like saying to that person. Remember, though, those comments are permanent (unless you edit them).

I hope this helped and answered any questions you might have had about the reputation system.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
03-08-2013, 06:53 PM
RE: Reputation: An Overview
Do banned member's reps get removed, or are those still permanent? Consider

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
(03-08-2013 06:53 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Do banned member's reps get removed, or are those still permanent? Consider

They remain.

03-08-2013, 06:56 PM
KC...check #8. Should be -20 not +20.

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
03-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Should you wanna increase your rep here are a few tips;

1) Post often. If you make awesome posts but they are infrequent people are less likely to link them in their head as belonging to the same user. If they are close together you get noticed more.

2) Make your points well. Posting an opinion people agree with is a good way to get rep. Even better is to post an opinion people don't agree with but to back it up so well you change their mind.

3) Be funny. The best way to get rep (in my opinion) is to have a great sense of humour. Join in the banter in the casual sections and get to know people.

4) Should you find yourself incapable of being interesting, funny, or likeable you can always strategically give other people positive reps in the hope they reciprocate. Big Grin

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 3 users Like Hughsie's post
03-08-2013, 07:02 PM
(03-08-2013 06:56 PM)Anjele Wrote:  KC...check #8. Should be -20 not +20.

Thanks, Angie. I fixed it. I typed all of this on my tablet, I knew I would screw something up.

03-08-2013, 07:03 PM
(03-08-2013 06:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They remain.

Good to know. Evil_monster

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
03-08-2013, 07:07 PM
(03-08-2013 07:03 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(03-08-2013 06:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  They remain.

Good to know. Evil_monster

lol.

This is also an incentive to ignore and not communicate with the most troublesome people. They usually don't neg rep at random and will most likely neg you for arguing with them.

If you know someone is heading for a banning, try and disengage yourself. This is also the most effective way to slay a troll.

03-08-2013, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2013 10:36 PM by Tartarus Sauce.)
Also, another good way to earn rep is to inquire people to give more rep. Make a post like "OMG WHY I HAVE LIEK NO REP *SADFACE*" and most people's pity tendencies will bubble up (Daw the poor baby, I will give them rep). I have yet to stoop to this level of desperation......keyword being yet.

Also, it helps being a likable Christian, then your rep zoooooooms, but of course the caveat is that you have to live with being a Christian! Big Grin (trolololo KC Tongue)

One last thing, if you are the founder of this site, people will worship the ground you stand on, and assign you a massive rep-to-post ratio. However, since chances are you the reader are not Seth, this is not an option for you.

That's about all of the extremely unhelpful advice I can think of.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
03-08-2013, 10:35 PM
(03-08-2013 10:31 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  Also, another good way to earn rep is to inquire people to give more rep. Make a post like "OMG WHY I HAVE LIEK NO REP *SADFACE*" and most people's pity tendencies will bubble up (Daw the poor baby, I will give them rep). I have yet to stoop to this level of desperation......keyword being yet.

Fine...don't beg...and no pitiful kitty faces. Preemptive pity rep done. Tongue

'See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way.' -JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post