Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 2 Average
24-09-2013, 06:35 AM
RE: Reputation: An Overview
What if there were another level of "enlightenment" above being an atheist. My question would be: would those people have high or low "reputation" scores. Of course we all know we would pretty much all be way in the negative in a "normal" forum.
I guess as an adult I could deal with a "negative reputation". But isn't this sort of group censorship, something we should strive to avoid? On the other hand some people do deserve to be censored. Sigh, life can be so complicated when you think...........
(sorry I had posted this elsewhere, but this is the correct place)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Yaaaay, I'm the most interresting member!

[Image: oqvpg.jpg]

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
24-09-2013, 09:45 AM
(24-09-2013 06:35 AM)andrewboston Wrote:  What if there were another level of "enlightenment" above being an atheist. My question would be: would those people have high or low "reputation" scores. Of course we all know we would pretty much all be way in the negative in a "normal" forum.
I guess as an adult I could deal with a "negative reputation". But isn't this sort of group censorship, something we should strive to avoid? On the other hand some people do deserve to be censored. Sigh, life can be so complicated when you think...........
(sorry I had posted this elsewhere, but this is the correct place)

What? Blink

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
24-09-2013, 10:03 AM (This post was last modified: 24-09-2013 10:15 AM by andrewboston.)
"What?"

What if the atheists here mostly, in most other aspects, share conventional herd thinking (=non-thinking)? If so, then those who didn't share them would likely be unpopular = negative reputation.

I'm thinking in terms of a fellow with a bad "reputation" who, among other things, has been posting about the "criminal" activities of the US Government in Iraq etc etc etc etc.

What if a higher level of of enlightenment would come with the realization that the USA Government is the most effective criminal organization in the known universe?
24-09-2013, 10:09 AM
(24-09-2013 10:03 AM)andrewboston Wrote:  "What?"

What if the atheists here mostly, in most other aspects, share conventional herd thinking (=non-thinking). If so, then those who didn't share them would likely be unpopular = negative reputation.

I'm thinking in terms of a fellow with a bad "reputation" who among other things has been posting about the "criminal" activities of the US Government in Iraq etc etc etc etc.

What if a higher level of of enlightenment would come with the realization that the USA Government is the most effective criminal organization in the known universe?

What the actual fuck? Blink

24-09-2013, 10:11 AM
(24-09-2013 10:03 AM)andrewboston Wrote:  "What?"

What if the atheists here mostly, in most other aspects, share conventional herd thinking (=non-thinking). If so, then those who didn't share them would likely be unpopular = negative reputation.

I'm thinking in terms of a fellow with a bad "reputation" who among other things has been posting about the "criminal" activities of the US Government in Iraq etc etc etc etc.

No, generally bad reputation comes from negative or hostile attitudes by the receiver. Our highest rated member (and now an admin) is a calvinist christian so that blows that theory out of the water. Also being opposed to the US is not in and of itself a problem, but dishonesty about it and a combative and condescending attitude does tend to result in negative reputation. If you make a claim be prepared to back it up with evidence. Do that and don't descend into ad hom attacks and chances are even if you go counter to the general opinion you will be respected.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
24-09-2013, 10:15 AM
(24-09-2013 10:09 AM)Anjele Wrote:  What the actual fuck? Blink

New guy's been drinking the I and I kool-aid. Don't mind him.

... this is my signature!
24-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I&I must have hired a PR guy. With all the "in terms of a fellow with a bad rep...blah, blah, blah"

I&I doesn't have a bad rep because of his views, he has a bad rep because he is an asshole. This is either an alter-ego or a friend of his, like his mom or something.

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
24-09-2013, 10:28 AM
(24-09-2013 10:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I&I must have hired a PR guy. With all the "in terms of a fellow with a bad rep...blah, blah, blah"

I&I doesn't have a bad rep because of his views, he has a bad rep because he is an asshole. This is either an alter-ego or a friend of his, like his mom or something.

Or a sock puppet. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2013, 10:31 AM
If I take it at face value, whatcher sayin' is that we punish those we disagree with and reward those we do...

And I can't really see a problem with that...