Poll: Should the reputation option on the forum be deleted, or should it remain as it is?
Delete rep system
Allow the rep system to remain
I don't care either way
[Show Results]

Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM
RE: Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste
Defacto, I don't agree with your reasononing. Havine a "low rep" does not, in any way whatsoever, "eliminate those who can't or don't wish to comply to the social order." But again, if the membership agrees, it's fine with me.

For the record, although we have over 1500 members, my guess is that we have around 50 (low estimate) members who are active on the forum at present. If I hear from half that, and the majority I hear from want to eliminate the rep system, then I will.

Fair enough?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 07:03 PM
(03-12-2011 06:53 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Also, notice your reps rising now. Why? My point is made.

Do you think there's a chance that it's because the people giving them really believe they are deserved and not some sort of social order? < that sounds a little snooty in text. I really am asking your opinion, and asking that you look at the issue from all sides.

03-12-2011, 07:07 PM
Goddamn you Stark! I've been meaning to give someone a thoroughly deserved rep for two days and I've finally remembered and gone to do it and it won't let me because I've given my limit of reps for the day. Who's fault is that?

defacto, Starks reps are quickly rising because he had two from me that I felt he totally deserved and so I immediately added them back on, I imagine others are doing the same.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-12-2011, 07:09 PM
Really? This is what's being discussed?
It's a small green or red number beside your name that has no bearing on anything except what pixels light up on your computer screen. It's not like we unlock things by having a higher number. So some people feel left out or inferior to others due to their reputation number and maybe some people abuse it for some unknown reason. but my question is why? WHY WHY WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYY???? It's all so pointless. Gagh I'm done with this now.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Poll added.

For everyone reading this thread, please take the time to be heard, regardless of the option you choose. All you need to do is vote.

03-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I remember this being brought up before and I think I understand where you are coming from. I'm ok going either way. There will always be the popular people and shy people etc... This 'caste' system has always existed in society in some form IMO. People who are going to be stopped by a point score in a forum profile will be easily stopped by other things with regards to self expression.

It really could go either way.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
I still cannot believe that whoever made the forum was clever enough to create a way for us to express our admiration for those who we respect in a public and lasting way and we are actually considering getting rid of it!

This is like internet political correctness, indirectly banning people from effectively expressing respect just in case someone gets offended.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
03-12-2011, 07:27 PM
(03-12-2011 07:22 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  This is like internet political correctness, indirectly banning people from effectively expressing respect just in case someone gets offended.

That's actually an excellent point. Good enough, in fact that I kinda wish I had voted to keep the rep instead of voting indifference.

03-12-2011, 07:28 PM
(03-12-2011 07:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  That's actually an excellent point. Good enough, in fact that I kinda wish I had voted to keep the rep instead of voting indifference.

Don't you have the power to change your vote, I thought you were God on the forum?

Best
Worst
03-12-2011, 07:32 PM
(03-12-2011 07:28 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(03-12-2011 07:27 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  That's actually an excellent point. Good enough, in fact that I kinda wish I had voted to keep the rep instead of voting indifference.

Don't you have the power to change your vote, I thought you were God on the forum?

I am neither god, nor do I wish to be, anywhere, including here. Would be WAY too stressful man!

I can change my vote, but if everyone else can't then I won't. That's just how I roll.

.....holy shit. Did I just say, "that's how I roll"??????

[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post