Poll: Should the reputation option on the forum be deleted, or should it remain as it is?
Delete rep system
Allow the rep system to remain
I don't care either way
[Show Results]

Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2011, 07:36 PM
RE: Reputation arguments... AKA Reputations as Social Caste
Ok, sorry I brought it up. Stark, erasing your reps was a bit over the top. If you had asked my opinion I would have backed off.

My argument stands though I think. Reps are doing exactly as I had predicted.

Stark wrote...
Quote:Do you think there's a chance that it's because the people giving them really believe they are deserved

Yes for sure.... but what does that have to do with "reputation"? That is personal opinion. I am all in favor of people showing admiration to others.... Do it. Tell us all how you feel.... it has nothing to do with reputation on the whole of the forum. It has everything to do with comparing everyone to a measure of social acceptance (rule) in this forum. Nothing to do with what everyone thinks. It could be a game to see how many + reps or - reps a person can slip though for the hell of it I suppose but that's not what it is. It is a way people decide who is in and who is not.

Peterkin... I can't see your post below so I'll have to go back to look. I want to commnet.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2011, 07:39 PM
(03-12-2011 07:36 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  I am all in favor of people showing admiration to others.... Do it. Tell us all how you feel.... it has nothing to do with reputation on the whole of the forum.

The only other way to express admiration is to reply to one of their posts on a thread saying how much you admire them, you'd be lucky if 20 people saw it before the thread died. The reputation system means that your mark of respect is forever saved on a persons profile for everyone to see at the click of a button.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Well what if the name was changed to "admiration points", or "respect points"?

The point is, there's always going to be some people who like it, and some who don't. The issue is, what is the consensus. I don't want you to back down Defacto. I much prefer you stand for what you think is best. I am listening, I just don't agree. That doesn't mean you should just drop it. Your opinion matters, because since day one I have worked hard at making this forum for EVERYONE. You are a part of everyone, so I WANT your opinion.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
03-12-2011, 07:46 PM
That is a good point hughsie. My vote shall be cast and it won't be what I thought.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 07:47 PM
The point score could be disabled and I could leave the functionality to serve as a profile comments section. Similar to youtube channel comments.
That is another option.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 2 users Like DeepThought's post
03-12-2011, 07:50 PM
(03-12-2011 07:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Well what if the name was changed to "admiration points", or "respect points"?

The point is, there's always going to be some people who like it, and some who don't. The issue is, what is the consensus. I don't want you to back down Defacto. I much prefer you stand for what you think is best. I am listening, I just don't agree. That doesn't mean you should just drop it. Your opinion matters, because since day one I have worked hard at making this forum for EVERYONE. You are a part of everyone, so I WANT your opinion.

I could live with the idea of changing the name but I'm not sure about what I would change it to. I kinda think that 'respect points' might actually be more alienating than 'reputation' as a lack it could be interpreted as meaning that someone isn't respected whereas a lack of reputation more sounds like that someone is just yet to 'prove' themselves.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2011 08:40 PM by defacto7.)
(03-12-2011 06:38 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  I'm not sure how that "weeding out" works. Nor the bullying, either. It may be true - must be, if you've watched it for a year; i haven't been around that long. I just don't understand the mechanism. Do you mean if somebody doesn't get reps, they feel excluded and stop posting?
Yes, I have discussed this in real life several times... I have watched since February just to see how people react in forum culture. I joined in July but didn't post regularly till much later.

Quote:Or change their style to fit in better? Obviously, it doesn't work against everyone with social and emotional issues, but if it frightens away some who might otherwise contribute, that makes it a counterproductive feature.

I think that is my point....

Quote:The awarding of reps is a bit arbitrary, as are 'like' points. I have no strong opinion on them, either way.

That's good and you're right. It does affect other people. If it does, it's counter productive.

If voting on it means it's allowed because of a majority, that majority will surly be dis-allowing the freedom of many people who may have very important things to say or just need to say and may not do so due to a disability. I don't think eliminating anyone based on their inability to confront others is reasonable, majority or not.

---------------------------

I was writing this and wasn't watching the conversation..... I'll back up a little.....

03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Fuck it, if it stays let's just get hardcore about it and call it "what we think of each other" or better yet "pros, but mostly cons"

I don't think I've ever actually given anyone a con before, maybe trainwreck or parture but I can't remember, I'm sure they deserved it though as I give a ton of wrecking room before I smash a hammer of -1 on someones ass. We can all be dicks some times even the chicks, I don't see why we need to pretend it ain't so, but we don't need to say something every time someone says something we don't like either, that's just abuse. If I negatived everyone because they said something I didn't like, I'm on here often enough to have broke the system that way by now. Is there a case of someone abusing the negative rep system that has made this an issue or something? Or the other way around I guess?

I actually wear my one negative rep with pride, as it makes me chuckle every time I happen to look at it. Trainwreck you silly bastard lol.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2011, 08:01 PM
No one is getting eliminated. Plus saying people aren't allowed the freedom to say what they want is simply untrue. The only person dis-allowing them to speak are themselves. If we have a caveat to cater to every possible sensitivity people have, then we'll have to lock out every members keyboard, with the exception of the spacebar.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
03-12-2011, 08:08 PM
(03-12-2011 08:01 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  No one is getting eliminated. Plus saying people aren't allowed the freedom to say what they want is simply untrue. The only person dis-allowing them to speak are themselves. If we have a caveat to cater to every possible sensitivity people have, then we'll have to lock out every members keyboard, with the exception of the spacebar.

That broad a brush? I did say there are people who can't... every possible??? Cater to?? lock out every members keyboard????

Wow... Wink

You are a great administrator Stark.... and your comments:

Quote:I have worked hard at making this forum for EVERYONE. You are a part of everyone, so I WANT your opinion.

Understood and thanks!! I don't doubt it for a minute.